Nomatika

How to make strong NPCs

I am wondering if anybody knows of any online resources or .pdfs I should look for that could help me create stronger NPCs. The first thing that comes to mind is GURPS but I was hoping there was anything else I could look at that wasn't from such a rules-heavy RPG system.

Posted (edited)

Well... What exactly do you mean by 'strong'? I assume you just don't mean NPCs with high stats... I mean most NPCs in JRPGs don't even have stats. Do you mean like... poignant? Or should I say pungent? I mean, strong like a story that makes your eyes water like you are cutting onions... Or maybe one that burns in your heart like a nice spicy curry! I mean not everyone likes their character's spicy, but it's nice sometimes don't you think? ...Okay maybe I should stop with the food metaphors. Now I sorta want something spicy to eat. >_<

Edited by Kayzee

NPCs? You mean enemies/encounters, right?

In RM-verse, NPCs refer to the events that perform all things both on screen and off, as well as events that are static and are just there to satiate graphic appeal.

So with that cleared up, now onto what you mean by 'strong'.

Posted (edited)

In retrospect yeah I kind of assumed most enemies/encounters wouldn't actually count as NPCs. Because they don't tend to be unique characters. Really in tabletop terms a lot of them are kinda just statblocks and nothing else. I don't think 'NPCs are events' is right either though, I honestly hardly hear the term used that way in the RPG Maker community. Really enemies/encounters are enemies/encounters and events are events. The idea of an NPC in my mind is far more abstract. I feel like I have said this before.

Besides, if the discussion is about how to make strong enemies/encounters, well... The answer is pretty obvious isn't it? Use bigger numbers! It's really easy to make enemies/encounters strong. What's hard is making sure they aren't too strong. Balance is a tricky thing. :3

Edited by Kayzee