NumbeRED39

discussion How do you design your game?

So, as I'm making my first game and planning for more in the future, I was wondering how ya'll tackle the designing process of your projects. 

For me, it usually starts with a rough idea that then I write on a notebook, as well as doodling characters or mechanics here and there, to help me visualize what I'll be making. 

Of course then I try to make a prototype of what I'll be making, to make sure my ideas are possible. Sometimes I do the prototype first and then jot down the rest but eeehh. 

Of course I update the notebook as I go along, with dilaogue and cutscenes or map/level designs. 

So, how do you guys tackle the design of your games? Do you have any tips? 

A friend suggested I make a GDD and look for testers, do you bother with these aspects or ignore either of them? 

I don't tend to write things down much. That's not to say I don't have enough ideas to fill a notebook or two with, I just tend to keep it in my head. In the end though, half my plans don't really work out and I end up mostly fiddling with stuff and see what works. Maybe that's why none of my game projects ever really go anywhere... Naw I think it's mostly because I am just really lazy.

Edited by Kayzee

3 hours ago, Kayzee said:

I don't tend to write things down much. That's not to say I don't have enough ideas to fill a notebook or two with, I just tend to keep it in my head. In the end though, half my plans don't really work out and I end up mostly fiddling with stuff and see what works. Maybe that's why none of my game projects ever really go anywhere... Naw I think it's mostly because I am just really lazy.

I also suffer from tinkeritis. As a neurotic with so many ideas for games that I can't compose a tile set for any given project without popping a muse bubble when I see a certain tile sheet that would make a certain type of map for this idea I had been working on whilst mopping the kitchen last week... You get the idea. It's hard to nail my muse down when it's just me working on whatever. You have the authority and freedom of obligations to say F it, I'll work on this today instead.

Having said all of that, I do have ADHD. Make of that, what you will. 🤣

I can give you the game plan I am using to go into my next game.

• Gameplay Concept: I don't know what you're using, but given that most RM engines usually have their limitation ceilings, and I am using Ace personally (lol. Love her, but she has a ceiling), I start by figuring out what it is I want to make, and along with that, a rough plan for the major features. Then I tackle the editor, and research script options for the features and gameplay styles simply to gauge what I call do-ability. How viable it is, and given any hiccups, what compromises can be made. When I'm confident that the concept can be executed without massive barriers at any stage of development down the road, I start working on world, plot, characters.
  • World | Plot | Characters: Spend a very good portion of time on this. The urge to pick away at RM's neatness and ultra-user friendly ease of access is like a gypsy curse hanging over this part of the process, but you need to spend time developing a very good setting and plot. During this stage, you may develop the need for new features and functions that take you back to the editor to eventing and script research. A good example of things that may pop up here are ammo scripts, custom vehicles, custom stats, day/night scripts, weather, etc.
Spoiler

"You will tinker with the editor today instead of working on your game script."

Cosmos.gif.6b54e14c57d785da3b750a6944f8d0be.gif

"You will waste two hours testing a cool script you accidentally found, but will most likely never actually use."

• Resources: Figure out what you need for any new features you've worked in, then consider resources. Look for what you can legally procure, based on what you now know you'll need. If you find that you will probably have to spend money on resources to get what you need done, you may want to wait. Now I'm not one to tell anyone what to do with their money. Ever. But you may want to further develop a real game to spend money on graphics for. When worrying about mapping, use the available stuff you have to make mock-up drafts of locations you later either do yourself with better resources, or maybe even have someone map for you, because again, you never know what will happen mid-stage development. But again, when it comes to spending your money, that's up to you.
  • Database | Scripts: Now I'll tackle my Database and Scripts. Start working on the actual game now that I know I'm not working blindly with massive barriers awaiting my unwitting backside. I'm not one for surprises. I like planning, foresight, preparation, etc. But this is also where I am newbish. I'm a story teller, a world and character creator. I only ever tinkered with RM. Starting with your script configs is a great idea. Then doing core sections like system and statuses is common sense and gets some of those key things established. Characters and Classes gets those key elements drafted. Then you can do your skills for each class and character, the weapons and armour for them as well. Get your basic items done, now you can do animations for everything from skills to items and weapons. Assign a ton of animations, which sucks but at least you knew what you needed because you had the drafts. Now you can do your monsters and parties with almost everything else in place and ready from skills to drop table selections.
  • From here it's Map and Event: I've never made it passed all that other stuff, so this is sketchy territory. It could depend heavily on the specific game being made, or if you end up having help for it. You may end up creating quest/new items along the way.

I am hoping to do something like this when I sit down to work on my next project. We'll see how it goes for me, I'll be blogging it all.

Edited by That One NPC

Damn, that sounds like a great plan tbh. 

Regrettably, I also do start with a lot of tinkering here and there and like to poke at VX Ace a lot to see what comes of it. 

I might take a lil bit of inspiration from this though, as I am very unorganized when I'm working on my projects 😂

Ok.. since this is a discussion post let me tell you i do things kinda wrong and oposite :P

I start by finding scripts i like and then rescourses.. of course with a very little plot and characters in mind.. but yeah..  

In the end i will find all the stuff except the story hahaha i need some inspiration..

Hmmm...

Most of the time, the start is some inspiration I got from whatever source I got it...and I usually begin with a list of basic stuffs I'll likely need.

From there, what I do next is up to the RNGoddess really.

I only ever finished one game, or two really, and that was with the PSX iteration of RPG Tsukuru (School not Tkool) 1/3.

5 hours ago, That One NPC said:

tinkeritis, ADHD...

The former, yes, definitely. The latter, maybe (if so, undiagnosed), but autism for certain.