HelpPls

Help with Common event calling

I'm trying to add a scan system in my game that you can access from the main party battle menu like so (I am using Yanfly Engine Ace - Battle Command List v1.09b) :

Spoiler

pic1.png.a50afb90b0fee0881964cbcf53f9b92b.png

When I click on the scan option it just freezes my game

Here's the code I "wrote" in the actual script:

Spoiler

pic2.png.ccb9ea089faca7b081e0e847a8e8d595.png

...and...

pic3.png.94dfe0d8af1c9a1aaa9a7aa010d1571d.png

I don't get what I'm doing wrong here, if anyone knows please help me out

Does the game freeze or does it just no longer respond to input? I am thinking it will deactivate the party command window and there is no other window activated in it's place. Pretty sure party commands can't run events like that anyway, events only run when the round actually starts.

Why not run a skill instead of just a common event? 

Like when you choose "attack" or something. 

Edited by NumbeRED39

18 hours ago, Kayzee said:

Does the game freeze or does it just no longer respond to input? I am thinking it will deactivate the party command window and there is no other window activated in it's place. Pretty sure party commands can't run events like that anyway, events only run when the round actually starts.

It freezes, the bottom battle window remains open but it doesn't have that little fadein/out animation for the command chosen

2 hours ago, NumbeRED39 said:

Why not run a skill instead of just a common event? 

Like when you choose "attack" or something. 

Because each character will have a different battle menu but I want any and all of them to be able to access the scan window, and I don't want to just give all of them another command cause it will clutter up the space for other actions, I know this is possible and I'm looking if people know how to make this work

Edited by HelpPls

56 minutes ago, HelpPls said:

It freezes, the bottom battle window remains open but it doesn't have that little fadein/out animation for the command chosen.

Pretty sure if you had any scripts for animated battlers or backgrounds or such they would still animate though.

56 minutes ago, HelpPls said:

Because each character will have a different battle menu but I want any and all of them to be able to access the scan window, and I don't want to just give all of them another command cause it will clutter up the space for other actions, I know this is possible and I'm looking if people know how to make this work 

What exactly does the common event do to call up a scan window? You really shouldn't be using a common event for that. Plus, again, events don't run during party commands anyway. Party commands are not like actor commands you know. You could use 'turn_start' to force the turn to start like the escape command does I guess, but that would make you waste a turn for everyone every time you wanted to scan. And not sure that would even work in the first place.

Edited by Kayzee

On 1/31/2021 at 4:06 PM, Kayzee said:

What exactly does the common event do to call up a scan window? You really shouldn't be using a common event for that. Plus, again, events don't run during party commands anyway. Party commands are not like actor commands you know. You could use 'turn_start' to force the turn to start like the escape command does I guess, but that would make you waste a turn for everyone every time you wanted to scan. And not sure that would even work in the first place.

The common event IS the scan window, I haven't made it yet, it's gonna probably be just choices of who to scan and stuff. But that isn't important, I'm asking if there's a way of calling common events with a party command, I don't wanna switch how the system is gonna work, If you know how to call a common event using the party command please tell me, otherwise I do not want any advice on how I can use this one scan system someone made.

Edited by HelpPls

How exactly do you plan on doing a choice in who you scan? Or displaying the results for that matter? Seems to me like any event that does a good job mimicking a scan window will have to be so ludicrously complex that you might as well just figure out how to script the whole thing anyway. Well whatever, doesn't matter. Like I said before: Short answer is you can't call a common event using the party command. Events don't work during party commands. There probably is a way to force them to, but not a simple one.

11 minutes ago, Kayzee said:

How exactly do you plan on doing a choice in who you scan? Or displaying the results for that matter? Seems to me like any event that does a good job mimicking a scan window will have to be so ludicrously complex that you might as well just figure out how to script the whole thing anyway. Well whatever, doesn't matter. Like I said before: Short answer is you can't call a common event using the party command. Events don't work during party commands. There probably is a way to force them to, but not a simple one.

Does it matter how I'm doing it? I'm asking if you can call an event and not if there is a easier way of doing it, I have a lot of other things I want to have be activated from the menu not just the scan. If there's no way of calling them normally then can I do it any other way? Like by activating a switch and then having a global autorun common event run in the battle.

You can mess with switches and variables sure. I don't think global autorun common events run during battles though, I think you would have to add an event to run the common event for every troop. Might be wrong about that. Also events could only run after all the commands would be input and the turn is started.

Edited by Kayzee