MasterMoes

Getting past the resolution limit on RPG Maker VX Ace

I'm pretty sure most of you are familiar with the resolution limit on RPG Maker VX Ace. By default, a VX Ace's game resolution is 544x416. There are a couple of scripts out there that let you change the resolution to a maximum of 640x480, like Yanfly Core. The reason these numbers are the maximum is that VX Ace doesn't allow for anything higher. Most say this is due to processing issues, which makes sense considering this engine has been around for over 7 years. However, with modern technology and things like anti-lag scripts, this is no longer a problem (besides, developers should have the right to do whatever they want with an engine).

By "higher resolution", I'm not referring to a stretched-out screen. There are plenty of scripts out there that change the window size, either creating black borders (like Zues's full screen++ script here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/fullscreen.14081/) or completely stretching the game window, usually making the game very blurry and eye-soring. With the 640x480 resolution, a 21x15 tile map would fill up the whole screen. What I want is a bigger resolution that will show more tiles. For example, I'm hoping to make my game's resolution 896x512, or 28x16 tiles.

There have been many people out there trying to figure out how to break this limit, but nobody has completely succeeded. The two closest attempts to break the resolution have been through a script made by an unknown user and a modification to RPGMVXAce's DLL. The scripted resolution-changer can be found here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/max-resolution-breaker.19336/. While it does it's job visually, it has a major functional issue. When the screen fades out during the "transfer player" command and when you load a save state, the fade out effect isn't to scale and appears on the top left corner of the screen. Additionally, parallaxes don't show up at all, even if the image is to scale with the resolution. Unless I can figure out how to solve these issues, I can't use this script.

The other way people have changed their game's resolution is with a DLL modification, found here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/how-to-use-the-high-resolution-dll.34578/. The download link to the DLL doesn't work any more. In fact, it can't be found anywhere. Any other links to this file doesn't work anymore for various reasons like outdated downloading sites from 2014 or whatever.

I really want to try this thing out, but I don't know where to get it. Therefore, I'm writing this forum post to ask if anyone has a way of accessing it. Not only do I want to use it myself, but I REALLY want to create a tutorial (hosted on many RPG Maker sites) for other people wanting to change the resolution to their VX Ace games with a fresh download link for the DLL file. I know, VX Ace isn't exactly that relevant any more, but it's about time we solved this and kept it solved.

So, does anyone have the DLL file or access to it? I'm posting this on RPG Maker Forums as well.

6 hours ago, MasterMoes said:

I'm writing this forum post to ask if anyone has a way of accessing it. Not only do I want to use it myself, but I REALLY want to create a tutorial (hosted on many RPG Maker sites) for other people wanting to change the resolution to their VX Ace games with a fresh download link for the DLL file. I know, VX Ace isn't exactly that relevant any more, but it's about time we solved this and kept it solved.

So, does anyone have the DLL file or access to it? I'm posting this on RPG Maker Forums as well.

I and several other people have the file, but we are not legally allowed to share it.

It is an unlicensed version of the dll file. I know that some people had it shared and if it still is then thats where you would get it.

For me to provide it or give a link to it would make me support breaking the EULA.

There has always been talk about how it should be allowed. For those that do have the file and ever get problems with the program when making their game, there is no support from the company to resolve the problem.

A bit of google searching for me and I was able to find it.

Link is in another forum. Not this one and not rpgmakerweb.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:31 AM, roninator2 said:

I and several other people have the file, but we are not legally allowed to share it.

It's because of this, we lose valuable resources. Just remember that.

I wish I could help, but as late as I was to the scene, I'm stuck at the same max res of 640*480, and to be honest, I don't think this Intel Celeron could handle much more than that, lolz
I wish ya luck in finding it.

Many years ago I managed to break this limit using a modified dll in conjunction with a script I made. Regardless of properly breaking the limit the engine simply cant support anything over 640x480. I was able to render in 1024x768 for example with added tilemapping, but the problems you described happened, along with a severe drop in FPS on modern hardware.

The engine simply isn't capable of those higher resolutions.

Actually I found at least one game for VX Ace that managed to make higher resolutions work right. Looking at the scripts it uses it seemes it uses a 'Viewports Fix' script by someone named 'Esrever' and a 'Plane Parallax Fix' script by someone named 'FenixFyreX' along with a modified DLL.

I think a better (and more legal, because yes engine replacements ARE LEGAL) way is to use a full engine replacement like mkxp or RGD instead.

1 hour ago, Kayzee said:

Actually I found at least one game for VX Ace that managed to make higher resolutions work right. Looking at the scripts it uses it seemes it uses a 'Viewports Fix' script by someone named 'Esrever' and a 'Plane Parallax Fix' script by someone named 'FenixFyreX' along with a modified DLL.

I think a better (and more legal, because yes engine replacements ARE LEGAL) way is to use a full engine replacement like mkxp or RGD instead.

This sounds like the method I used. I did open up my old lumberjack game and found it working in 1024x768, but the fps when playing is at best half of what it should be. Wouldn't recommend going beyond the engines limits for a commercial game.

Its legal to posses modified dll files and use them if needed. The issue comes up with actually sharing said dll file though, as modified parts of the engine are not part of the end user agreement.