EXVA

Advanced Super Player Speed, Scripting. Concept.

Posted (edited)

Ever wonder if super speed was possible without lag, well it was rather simple & not so advanced...

class Game_Player < Game_Character

def movable?
      return true
end
      end

(ISSUES)Below Events don' trigger when ran across, this doesn't seem that bad.

(EXPLOITATIVE POSSIBILITIES) well super speed wasn't exactly what I was wanting,

I just happened across it & now I'm wondering if theres a way to slow the player down.

(WHY)Well I noticed while the frames did dip the movement of the game looks smooth.

(Smooth)Yes zipping around maps without any stutter almost like magic, seems legit.

(But)ISSUES FROM ABOVE WITH BELOW EVENTS, SO CONCLUSION?

(IF SOMEONE WAS TO FIDDLE AROUND WITH THE ISSUE & GRANT PLAYER SLOWING!)

QUESTION, WOULD THIS MAKE THE COOLEST IDEA EVER IN CONCEPT?(MIND BLOWN!)

Edited by EXVA

Posted (edited)

Probably a bad idea to do that, it will cause the player to move even if they aren't supposed to and probably not line up on tiles correctly.

Try this instead:

def distance_per_frame
    return 256.0
  end

end

Zoooom! (This is probably overkill and it probably doesn't make a difference if set higher then 32.0 really but that's still a whole tile every frame!)

Edited by Kayzee

Oh  was also using a pixel movement maybe thats why.

I currently have it setup where I can move a half tile each time I step,

this method makes the whole game a lot better with very few graphical errors.

I'll try your edit to see if it works like I'm hoping, its less spd I'm after & more a way to

create a more gliding movement as it looks pretty stutterie in my game project but

that might be due to the fact I got the whole open world map total cram-packed

with events so instead of the 66frames I have it set to its about 50~55 fps on the

main map, 60hz limits it to 60frames anyways but it should be fine at 66fps regardless.

I found the game to be more stable with slightly higher fps but unbottlenecking it 6frames.

EDIT THX IT WORKS.

def distance_per_frame
    return 0.2
  end

end

This doubled my player spd with the pixel movement script I was using.

Now it looks more reasonable, but the fps does dip slightly so I'll have

to adjust for that however this was expected, your pretty amazing.

Hmm, possible I was wrong.

at return .15 its the same spd & I can't tell the different between this & what I already had smoothness wise.

All this seems to do is mess up the the auto dash, & walk that I've setup using a different script not sure if

I'm going to scratch the Sprint Script since it lags to much when using it, this sorta functions better but

I'm not sure if its really going to make any kind of difference.

This was interesting enough tho.

def distance_per_frame
    if Input.press?(Input::A)
    return 0.15
  else
    return 0.2
  end
end
end

I could use this & ditch the sprint mete, I'll lose the ability to walk & only dash for a short amount of time

but who really walks in games like this, &the short sprint might just annoying players more than anything else.

So I'd be trading a parallel event & redundant feature in-exchange for a slightly better sprint that people would abuse.

Thats a tough call to make honestly.

Posted (edited)

Oh now the super spd is breaking when I tried it again, well that seems to been a futile effort, move to fast you break the game, lol figures.

Low spd works tho so not a total waste of time I suppose.

Edited by EXVA

Yeah, I have no idea how pixel movement scripts work honestly. You basically have to rip out and redo the whole movement system to make one.

Super speed could very much be used in a number of different ways. I've been thinking about doing a modern super hero RPG, and that's something that could come in very handy as a timed booster with a cooldown for either a speedster character, or if super speed is selected in some form of super power skill tree. I know of a flight script that I was also interested in investigating in further detail for that project concept. But you'd need to jerry rig a bit of script to make events trigger normally when crossed clicked or bumped during super speed. Otherwise it sort of becomes broken and far less practical, but still interesting enough.

If you could somehow work in an energy meter that drains as the player maintains super speed, it would limit the extent with which the player can bomb around at the speed of sound, making it a more measured, tactical advantage when used properly.

Not to loop back to the first paragraph, but it made me think of super speed flight as well. That could be very fun and cool.

I think I've seen a flying script before, but yea I definitely dashing at a high spd is useful I currently have a meter script but its tied to autodash.

I use a modified Yami Engine Symphony - Dash Stamina.

Works fairly well.