Gump

I'm back, and I brought a game with me.

Posted (edited)

It's been a number of years since I was involved in this community. At one point I was a moderator over at the programming forums. So recently sitting around bored and in quarantine, I decided to get back into it again. I quickly realized I had forgotten almost anything I had learned about Ruby as it had been years. So I dived in, with the intention of creating a game purely using the Ruby programming language. A few weeks later I'm sitting here with a mostly complete project and more knowledge in Ruby than I've ever had. This game was not made in RPG Maker, so I'm not sure if its appropriate to post about it in the in progress or completed game forums when it hits that state. If you want to check it out its here: Ruby Arena (itch.io) Its free of course. I've also made the games source code freely available, as I'd like to eventually find gainful employment working with Ruby (making games or really anything) I figured anything I work on should have source available. The source can be found here(GitHub).

As for contributing to the community I will definitely be active in the programming forum again. I am looking for old copies of some of my Ace scripts that I have lost to father time. In Particular My Blacksmithing system demo and my Quest system demo. I think I may even work on some scripts for the community again. I am having a lot of fun working purely with Ruby right now though, and starting to read about Dragon Ruby as well, which is a lightweight Ruby based engine. I may even fill some script requests.

Anyway, its nice to be back! Hopefully I run into some familiar faces. It's been a long time.

I notice the spoiler I use in my signature to hide my old completed scripts doesn't work when you click on it. I tried remaking it, still no dice. Anyone got any ideas?

Also just reinstalled vx ace. took me a hot minute to find my serial number but its up and running and Im ready to make and help people with ruby scripts.

Edited by Gump
spellign and gremmar

Posted (edited)

Welcome back.

I do not have your blacksmithing demo or script or your Quest System. I do have your core script, Class based bonus level up, level up bonus script and levelup messenger with some modifications I have made to make it compatible with yanfly victory aftermath and a second for compatibility with luna engine for my game. Plus one more modification to make the levelup wait for a specific time or continue with a button press.

I can share those if you would like them.

As for the signature, 

Edited by roninator2

21 hours ago, roninator2 said:

Welcome back.

I do not have your blacksmithing demo or script or your Quest System. I do have your core script, Class based bonus level up, level up bonus script and levelup messenger with some modifications I have made to make it compatible with yanfly victory aftermath and a second for compatibility with luna engine for my game. Plus one more modification to make the levelup wait for a specific time or continue with a button press.

I can share those if you would like them.

As for the signature, 

Thanks for the signature info. And I would love to get a copy of those! I have those scripts, but I'm unable to find the demos I spoke of. I'd love to see how you modified them to make them work and would enjoy checking out any games you made with them. :)

15 hours ago, Kayzee said:

Welcome back! Yay for games written in Ruby! *sprinkles fairy dust everywhere*

Thank you :) 

Welcome back!

Writing games from scratch is what I see? I approve! 👍

I gave the game a try ("try" - yeah sure, been playing for 2 hours) and it's pretty addicting. It's fun, although it crashed two times after defeating an enemy though:

Fatal error, exiting
FATAL -- : undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
ocr5BE7.tmp/src/Game_DB.rb:1035:in `items_array'

I gave up after poor balancing came and made the game hardly playable, where apparently the only way to not die is to avoid enemies with magic. Purchased armor, reduced incoming physical damage to like 20, cool, was grinding on enemies without spells. Then I leveled up and it deleted komodo dragon from existence and I got stuck with magical enemies it was throwing at me, that can cast a random spell that deals 200 damage while I have like 120 max HP. I couldn't find any logical way to overcome this, as the player info screen mentions nothing about resistance to suggest anything. Grinding items that permanently increase defense also won't help at all from what I've noticed. Maybe I could try grinding here and there, but unless I'd bump my max hp to at least 500, I have a feeling it would change absolutely nothing.

On the other hand, when I cast spells, they perform worse than the default attack, which itself tells everything about balancing (was playing as human). I also couldn't finish quests, because the required monsters weren't showing up, even those rats decided to cease existing. Perhaps you could split the existing areas into, let's say, two separate? For example the first area has monsters with level 0 - 6 or something, and leveling up eventually prevents monsters from the bottom range from spawning. Maybe two areas (0-3) (4-6) where the monsters always spawn regardless of player level would work better? The first area was too easy, while the second one got too difficult.

At least it would allow me to grind on enemies I can defeat, instead of pushing me into stronger enemies while not being ready. 😛

Either balancing is wrecked at the moment (and I understand it's a WIP) or I suk (correct me if I overlooked something), but the game in general was fun and working, so good job! 👍 Also epic visual effects! 👌 It has potential, so keep it up! 👀

Many users have switched to another engines outside RM, including myself (which led me to leave RMW, for example, as I suppose my works aren't welcomed there), so after some discussion with staff and gathering opinions from users, we decided to support all game-dev related activity - or rather, not yell at those who don't work with RM. Therefore, feel free to create a thread here with your project and for the tag, pick "other" when the editor will ask you to choose one. For now the "other" tag is for everything, that others tags don't cover. Suggestions for more tags if needed are welcomed too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see you around!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Welcome back!

Writing games from scratch is what I see? I approve! 👍

I gave the game a try ("try" - yeah sure, been playing for 2 hours) and it's pretty addicting. It's fun, although it crashed two times after defeating an enemy though:

Fatal error, exiting
FATAL -- : undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
ocr5BE7.tmp/src/Game_DB.rb:1035:in `items_array'

I gave up after poor balancing came and made the game hardly playable, where apparently the only way to not die is to avoid enemies with magic. Purchased armor, reduced incoming physical damage to like 20, cool, was grinding on enemies without spells. Then I leveled up and it deleted komodo dragon from existence and I got stuck with magical enemies it was throwing at me, that can cast a random spell that deals 200 damage while I have like 120 max HP. I couldn't find any logical way to overcome this, as the player info screen mentions nothing about resistance to suggest anything. Grinding items that permanently increase defense also won't help at all from what I've noticed. Maybe I could try grinding here and there, but unless I'd bump my max hp to at least 500, I have a feeling it would change absolutely nothing.

On the other hand, when I cast spells, they perform worse than the default attack, which itself tells everything about balancing (was playing as human). I also couldn't finish quests, because the required monsters weren't showing up, even those rats decided to cease existing. Perhaps you could split the existing areas into, let's say, two separate? For example the first area has monsters with level 0 - 6 or something, and leveling up eventually prevents monsters from the bottom range from spawning. Maybe two areas (0-3) (4-6) where the monsters always spawn regardless of player level would work better? The first area was too easy, while the second one got too difficult.

At least it would allow me to grind on enemies I can defeat, instead of pushing me into stronger enemies while not being ready. 😛

Either balancing is wrecked at the moment (and I understand it's a WIP) or I suk (correct me if I overlooked something), but the game in general was fun and working, so good job! 👍 Also epic visual effects! 👌 It has potential, so keep it up! 👀

Many users have switched to another engines outside RM, including myself (which led me to leave RMW, for example, as I suppose my works aren't welcomed there), so after some discussion with staff and gathering opinions from users, we decided to support all game-dev related activity - or rather, not yell at those who don't work with RM. Therefore, feel free to create a thread here with your project and for the tag, pick "other" when the editor will ask you to choose one. For now the "other" tag is for everything, that others tags don't cover. Suggestions for more tags if needed are welcomed too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see you around!

Oh wow, thanks for this informative post I really appreciate it! I'll try to respond to everything here. First off with that bug I'd actually need the next line or two from the debug log as well. I'm aware of this crash, its happening in rare cases when an enemy drops an item. I haven't been able to solve it yet. Magic damage is calculated based on a fraction of defense, and elves have a boost in magic defense. So grabbing a new armor will reduce damage. I've watched people get to late game and have a hard time but they're able to grind through. I definitely need to balance late game enemies better and balancing the actual magic is an ongoing issue. The early/midgame spells are fairly sound, its the late game ones that need some reworking. Spells have a damage range, Heres shock: 

#            [Spell name,             Heal?,   [Minmax], Cost,   Description]
@spells[6] = ["Shock",                false,   [28, 40],    9,   "Electricity shoots from your mouth and strikes"]

Which works fine and has a base damage range of 28 to 40. In conjunction with this your level versus the enemy level also matters. If they are higher, they will naturally hit harder. Late game spells definitely need better balancing. Short of putting on a Bastard Armor that Blue Dragon will 1 shot you. Balancing is always difficult in later game, the games database and full source is online on github. I may have to ask around for some help to get it just right. I want it to be very hard, as the game is supposed to be mean and unforgiving. Getting it hard and right is definitely a tricky balance. 

I'm aware of quest enemies going out of range, in my next update I'm planning on adding an override to that to the spawn code that forces them to spawn regardless of level if you have a quest. Level range works from -1 to +3 but the forest caps enemies at level 5 -- this is actually a conflict with the spawn code in the forest which can result in the wrong things spawning. I actually need to re-write the spawn code from scratch, as the game was originally designed without the swamp area even in mind. So I need to write it again and make it universal and apply the proper level capping.

You don't suck (lol) but saving up for a better armor will help, and steamrolling through the Arena if you haven't already will generate money pretty quickly.

Thanks for filling me in on the policy for posting the game! I'll put up a post for it soon. :)

Edited by Gump

Hmm what makes me wonder is that the enemies on my level hit me for around 20-30 damage (bought that full plate mail for 10k or something), but when they cast a spell, the damage skyrockets to 200 instantly killing me. Was doing the arena and same there, got to 3rd rank i believe and there, as long as enemies don't cast spells, it's manageable, but once a spell is thrown, its damage dramatically exceeds my max hp, leaving no possible strategies to take. I'm not sure what is considered late game, but the issue with spell damage started at around 8 monster level. Everything was balanced prior to that point and their spells' damage was within reasonable damage range. Those 8+ bois in swamp are mad tho. Was thinking of grinding, but since komodo dragons no longer spawn and others have these spells, it leaves me only the first area, where I'm absolutely overleveled.

I can normally sustain normal hits, so I assumed I'm doing okay, that I'm not underequipped, but then a random fireball proved otherwise. rip

I'm not at home atm, so I'll give more details from the log later.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Hmm what makes me wonder is that the enemies on my level hit me for around 20-30 damage (bought that full plate mail for 10k or something), but when they cast a spell, the damage skyrockets to 200 instantly killing me. Was doing the arena and same there, got to 3rd rank i believe and there, as long as enemies don't cast spells, it's manageable, but once a spell is thrown, its damage dramatically exceeds my max hp, leaving no possible strategies to take. I'm not sure what is considered late game, but the issue with spell damage started at around 8 monster level. Everything was balanced prior to that point and their spells' damage was within reasonable damage range. Those 8+ bois in swamp are mad tho. Was thinking of grinding, but since komodo dragons no longer spawn and others have these spells, it leaves me only the first area, where I'm absolutely overleveled.

I can normally sustain normal hits, so I assumed I'm doing okay, that I'm not underequipped, but then a random fireball proved otherwise. rip

I'm not at home atm, so I'll give more details from the log later.

I just released a new build, Beta 1.7. Here are the changes:

BETA 1.7
  - adjusted various late game (level 8+) enemies, nerfed HP and some attacks
  - adjusted spell damage heavily, late game spells nerfed
  - updated magic spell animation flash
  - fixed human sword bonus error when a sword was only in your right hand
  - removed left/right hand prompt when equipping a 2 handed weapon
  - forced enemies to spawn if out of level range but needed for a quest

There will likely be more adjustments that need to be made. I'm thinking I may have to rework the spell damage algorithm (visible in Game_DB.rb). Let me know what you think and if you find any other issues. I really appreciate how much you've been playing it. Also, your old save file will still function of course. :) Also if you wanna see some internal values, check the project on github(click) open the Game_DB.rb file. To see version changes, Click on "BETA 1.7 update see readme" text that is just to the right of Game_DB.rb

I'd definitely like to get the balancing more tested and sound before I start going crazy and adding more areas.

Edit: I've posted a game topic in the development forum, once you approve it I'll kindly ask to redirect all game related talk to that topic to keep things organized. Thanks :)

Edited by Gump

Cool, never heard of this 'Dragon Ruby' engine though.

I have a large script repository, but only your level up scripts and your 640*480 script do I have. 😕

Anyway, welcome back.

Thank you Phoenix!

Some good news. I was able to get my old harddrive running! I recovered EVERYTHING I was missing (including some crypto wallets woop woop)

Epic, I'll take a look later. 👀

I've approved it and of course, was thinking of that earlier, but there was no such thread to post in. 👀 Will post over there once I'll give it a go. 😉