roninator2

State notetags through passive skills

Posted (edited)

On 10/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, PhoenixSoul said:

Did you know: you can put the following in the damage formula:
eval($data_x[y].note) 
x == actors/classes/skills/items/enemies/states  y == ID
and have the interpreter evaluate the specified notetag instead? Neat huh?

So to expand on this, I'm trying to modify Neon Blacks Passive skills script.

The one part that is missing is that the script does not process the note box for the state.

When I tried the option here I get an error.

Neon Black | Passive Skills:71:in `eval': (eval):1: syntax error, unexpected '<'
<atk ele: 3, 0.20>
 ^
(eval):1: syntax error, unexpected $end
                  ^, SyntaxError
	from Neon Black | Passive Skills:71:in `block (2 levels) in passives'

The notetag shown above is from Dekita Element Control

I've tried a few variations but I'm note sure how to make the system process notetags

$data_states[$1.to_i].note.split(/[\r\n]/).each do |line|
          eval(line)
        end
        eval($data_states[$1.to_i].note) 

On 10/20/2020 at 4:49 PM, Kayzee said:

I use this little script for all my notetag needs

Can that be used to process the notetags from the states and not a file. (using a file would require me to change all 3000+ items in the game)

I also looked at Tsukihime's Condition states & passive addon for Neon Blacks Passive Skills, but I also get an error for that.

Hime | Conditional States:113:in `eval': (eval):2: syntax error, unexpected '<'
 ^
(eval):2: syntax error, unexpected $end, SyntaxError

Basically I want to have the system process the notetags for the states while the skill is learned.

Now I have a complex setup, skills that require armour, equipment skills all working with passive states. If I set the notetags that I would normally use on the skill, then it works fine, but I'm also trying to manipulate other data with Shaz's State Commands script.

*UPDATE

I just tried VE Passive States and it worked. Going to have to change all of fomars skill notes to VE notes

Edited by roninator2
clarified

Running the notes though eval is only going to work if the notes contain only ruby code. Notetags are not ruby code, they are really just special strings scripts can get data from with regular expressions. Here is the big problem: All scripts that use note tags use them completely differently. There is no general way to read any and all note tags.

25 minutes ago, roninator2 said:

Can that be used to process the notetags from the states and not a file. (using a file would require me to change all 3000+ items in the game)

That script can get things from the states yeah, but I think you misunderstand what that script is for. It's not for existing script's notetags, it's for easily making new tags that people can use for their own scripts (and it also uses it's own style of tag anyway). Every script basically has to come up with it's own way to parse note tags. Rather then bother with making each of my own scripts use a new notetag system like most scripters do I just use one general notetag system for all my scripts. Saves time and sanity not having to muck about with regular expressions in every script I write.

Yeah; don't run straight eval on notetags with specialized strings like that.

I think one has to specify what to eval in the notetag, and that is if the interpreter will allow it (not sure - dearest love @Kayzee likely knows).