WidgetKitty

game soundtrack BFMA Soundtrack (40 Songs) Looking for Reviews

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! I've been pouring a lot of effort into my game's soundtrack over the last year, but very few people have heard any of it. Big Friggin' Magical Adventure's music is geared to match the cute and whimsical style I'm going for, and I want to make sure they suit it. Most of these songs have been developing in my head for decades, since I was forced into music lessons as a kid - nice to finally get them made! These were all made in LMMS - please don't use any of these for a project, they are meant for my game only - I'm just hoping to get some feedback!

So, here are forty songs from the WIP OST, which is probably only half the soundtrack but the important ones are ready. These are the unmastered versions, and anything can still be tweaked; speed, instruments, melody, or whatever. If anyone wants to comment on the songs, how suited they sound to their descriptions and such, or point out if something could sound better, then I'd be much obliged! Or just have a listen and see what you think.

Links to each song on my above their descriptions, best open them in a new tab, and I'll put them in spoilers since there's so many.

Main Themes

Spoiler

I figured a silly march would do. The first couple lines are supposed to be singing the game's name.

This plays as you are choosing your character's gender, race, and style. Might be used in other spots too.

I thought a cool, jazzy theme would go well with this world's map. There's nine versions of this song, since each province is a separate map - this one is for the royal province in the centre, which you'll visit the most.

A humble shack is given to you early on, and has dozens of upgrades. This song sounds boring to me, but perhaps that's best. I'll probably make remixes of it to go with the upgrades.

Your standard random battles, intense but not too threatening.

The player starts here as a student, and a simple errand kicks off the first quest. The school and its NPCs feature heavily in the third questline as well.

For games like vege picking and horseback riding. It's a remix of "The Happy Farmer", from an 1848 album of childrens' music.

For the carnival minigames, which you can have a look on YouTube HERE

Familiars

Spoiler

Familiars are animal spirits that you summon to create your party - ten altogether. They are rambunctious and not well understood - always cheerful and playful, but often dangerous. Lost familiars are hiding in the world map and dungeons, defeating (desummoning) them yields a lot of EXP and a special gift for sending them home.

Located in the town of Bogside, this is where you summon, practice, and learn about familiars. It's always understaffed and in a humourous state of chaos.

The battle music when you find one in the wild. It's meant to have a slightly sad element in the bridge, as these monsters just want you to win so they can go home - if they deal a fatal blow, they do a heal & run (they cannot kill unless the person who summoned them commands it). So you can't get a game over on these battles, but will lose the EXP and gift. It's one of my favourites of the soundtrack so far.

For battling one of the three larger familiars - for instance, the sea serpent, which serves as a chapter boss in questline I (and a boat once you can summon them!)

Towns

Spoiler

The town nearest your starting point, full of busy and nosy people.

Small town on a creek, near swampland. A pair of elderly NPCs that help you with quests I & II reside here, but they are bickering neighbours who fight over what you ought to focus on.

A logging camp in the woods that grew into a small town, with a bit of a criminal element. Pineshade is out of the way, and an excellent place to hide.

Nestled in a crater left by a volcanic eruption, people from all over the kingdom travel here for training to become soldiers, mages, and mercenaries. It's a softer, shorter remix of an associated song below, the Way of Might and Magic.

A slow, country arrangement of Offenbach's "Galop Infernal", better known as the "Can-Can". One of a handful of classical songs I'm remaking for the game.

The largest city, with a carnival full of minigames and several unique shops. Lots of quests take you here, and there's plenty to find if you look around. The city is more crowed and colourful than usual, since the game takes place during an annual festival.

A casual district attached to the city, made up of a school, gardens, and magic shops that aren't so welcome inside the walls.

Sandhaven is a war-torn, Egyptian style fortress, which in recent times has been converted into a getaway resort. It is also the only place you can gamble and buy certain items.

Loot Dungeons

Spoiler

These are the various dungeon songs, specifically the versions used for questline IV's 50 "loot dungeons". The different being these have intros, bridges, more instruments, etc.

A blimp belonging to the group putting on this tournament. You can return here to check stats, buy resources, etc.

Toward the end, when the true plot is revealed, the airship engine room becomes dungeon #50, a dangerous obstacle course. You can watch it HERE

Gotta have your slow, mysterious cave music. There's three remixes of this, for ice & lava caves, and mines.

General bright, outdoor areas like cliffsides and the royal hedge maze. Wanted something jazzy to go with the colourful look.

Deep but not dark wooded areas, beaches, oceanside cliffs, etc.

Dungeons in warehouses, a sewer, abandoned prison, etc. Any that you enter from within a town.

Remix of the in-town music, this is for places like the railway depots, or climbing structural towers.

Used in haunted forests, graveyards, etc.

Questline I: Fate of the Future

Spoiler

All about stopping the energetic chaos destroying the world, and replacing the dead guardian entity.

Central hub of the city, containing all the kingdom's knowledge, and the receiver for the world's magic.

This plays when solving puzzles in the guardhouses, and cutscenes involving soldiers or the royal family.

When soldiers challenge you to a battle, either as part of the main quest, or as punishment for a crime. Like battles with familiars, guards are not allowed to kill you. Losing means getting a mild health potion, along with laugher and your consequences.

Quineline I's chapter bosses are typically statues or machines that have come to life and are looking to exterminate you for digging too deep.

A two-section, mountain-climbing course that takes up chapter five, making you earn the respect and authority needed for the rest of the questline.

In the final chapter, the city's beloved clocktower is transformed into a chaotic mess of floating platforms and traps. This song has three parts, for the three increasingly harder sections of this massive dungeon, but they're mashed together in this file. You can see the beta version of this dungeon HERE

Questline II: Unnatural Horrors

Spoiler

This line has you confronting eight monsters from the past, in their Zelda-inspired dungeons.

Slower, puzzle-heavy dungeons, with a lot of keys and locked doors, and a dark, creepy vibe. The boss(es) will also taunt you with a few cutscenes and a minigame as you progress.

The chapter bosses are alchemical monsters mixing various animals, and all have combat or defense gimmicks that differ from any other battles, like playing 3-way rock, paper, scissors with elemental magic, for one.

Questline III: Who Holds the Power

Spoiler

The Scarlet Coven is a group of corrupt mages who are secretly mining the kingdom's magical resources, and working on a scheme to eliminate all magic users but themselves, and monopolize it. This questline is much heavier on story and characters than the rest.  You can watch a WIP of the first chapter HERE

Plays during cutscenes, chapter intros, and before bosses. The second verse has a better beat (like most song, it'll loop from there)

The coven's encampments, mines, and castle that serve as chapter dungeons.

A few of these dungeons have timed events, chase or escape sequences, and this song plays for those.

Mid chapter bosses are the coven's generals, a team of sentient robes and armour. They appear to be a mix between a robot and ghost.

Music for the end chapter bosses, in each case the group of mage NPCs you've been sabotaging and harassing throughout the chapter. They pull out their best spells, and summon their familiars, since they're enraged by then and just want you dead. So this boss music should be more epic and threatening than the others.

Whew! OK, so that's most of what I've done so far. Thank you so much to anyone that took the time to listen, and any kind of feedback is welcome!

Edited by WidgetKitty

Yay for making your own soundtrack! Yay for cute and whimsical music too! I briefly looked though them and they seem alright to me! Though sometimes some of the instruments seem to have reverb that seems kinda short and unnatural I think? On the other hand I think it's better then overusing long expansive reverb which I feel is something a lot of other RPG Maker soundtracks do...  Maybe there could be a bit more variety in instrument choices and styles? It still sounds pretty good to me!

On 7/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Kayzee said:

Yay for making your own soundtrack! Yay for cute and whimsical music too! I briefly looked though them and they seem alright to me! Though sometimes some of the instruments seem to have reverb that seems kinda short and unnatural I think? On the other hand I think it's better then overusing long expansive reverb which I feel is something a lot of other RPG Maker soundtracks do...  Maybe there could be a bit more variety in instrument choices and styles? It still sounds pretty good to me!

Thanks, glad you like it! Probably in some cases I shortened a lot of notes for a melody's sake, though some of the songs are kind of choppy this way. I've been limiting which instruments I use to keep in uniform for now, but some variety wouldn't hurt - and some instruments carry the notes better than others. Mastering should make a difference too