Sign in to follow this  
ChimkinTheGamer

Moonharvester - Feedback needed

"Journey to the lake of forbidden light, and under the light of the full moon, power will come to you."
Journey to the Lake of Dreams from your hometown in the region under rule of the great King Havestus. However, things go awry when the king learns you are going on this quest. He wants the power for himself.
Estimated playtime: ~2 hours with postgame content.
I will make this myself, it's gonna be a non-profit game. As my first "public" game I need feedback. If this is a good idea let me know, if it's not a good idea explain why.

What will make your game unique?  Is this just a chance to tell a story?  Playtime is fine.  Some games need to be long, but not everything has to be a grand epic.

3 hours ago, Aslanemperor said:

What will make your game unique?  Is this just a chance to tell a story?  Playtime is fine.  Some games need to be long, but not everything has to be a grand epic.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but I'm doing all the textures, battle animations, everything textures on my own.

I want it to be a challenge providing a free way to pass the time.

That's a good goal, and is a selling point.  Make sure you put something in there that makes your game special to the player.  Most players just assume that the art is custom because they don't make games themselves.  You need something that makes your game really stand out, otherwise it will be difficult to get people to even try playing it.  It doesn't even have to be a lot, just some little thing.  An example, I'm working on a game right now which is pretty basic.  The special thing about it is that it's a western, which as far as I can tell no one else has done with RPG Maker.  It's not a lot, as you will notice, but it does set the game apart from other short titles.

8 hours ago, Aslanemperor said:

That's a good goal, and is a selling point.  Make sure you put something in there that makes your game special to the player.  Most players just assume that the art is custom because they don't make games themselves.  You need something that makes your game really stand out, otherwise it will be difficult to get people to even try playing it.  It doesn't even have to be a lot, just some little thing.  An example, I'm working on a game right now which is pretty basic.  The special thing about it is that it's a western, which as far as I can tell no one else has done with RPG Maker.  It's not a lot, as you will notice, but it does set the game apart from other short titles.

I'm thinking of making it themed for medieval times. I'm not sure how "unique" it is but it's what I can muster up. Also I've never seen someone make a character customization screen where you get to customize everything about your character. Only seen name customization and gender customization. I plan to make it 100% customizable. And I won't do textures unless I have to.

Edited by ChimkinTheGamer
  • Like 1

Ah!  Character customization?  I've seen one do that in a limited capacity, but that is a unique thing!  I thought you were saying that you'd drawn a bunch of stuff, not that you were allowing players to choose their gender.  It wouldn't be difficult to do.  Start the game with a choice and create identical actors, one male and one female (and further customization depending on their selections.

((Edit:  I've tried to find the game I mentioned that included some pretty extensive character customization, but I can't find it.  It's to bad, because it would possibly be a source of info.  I'll keep searching and get a link when I can figure it out.)

Edited by Aslanemperor

I have to agree on 2 hours being dangerously short. It could be one giant, 'What the heck? O.O" moment for the player to realize they finished it in 2 hours. Either it'll be not enough due to the length and be forgettable, or if you nail the quality, a short game could haunt the player, constantly wishing there was more.

All I'ma say is, don't commit to a tiny game out of the gate. Work on the guts of the game, the mechanics and data, see how scalable the story is based on that workload. 2 hours is like wow. lol. The opening sequence of Dragon Warrior V takes about 2 hours. XD

Edited by That One NPC