Sign in to follow this  
ElCodes

NEED INFO: How large are your maps?

I've been testing my new map editor for my UR-RPG project and I need to collect some data so I know if my map editor is up to the task.

Can you guys let me know how large your maps are generally speaking, and what the largest map you've created is?

My map editor can currently handle 120 x 120, but it's started to get a bit laggy. I have some ideas for optimization and final size will be larger than that, but I may have to apply a limit on map sizes. Personally, I don't think I've ever made a map as large as 120 x 120 in RPG Maker, and maybe 150 x 150 would be sufficient.

What do you guys think?

I don't actually use RPG Maker MV (my computer does not support it), but, on RPG Maker VX, I usually make maps about 100 x 100, but sometimes they become into a 126 x 100 or also become into a 90 x 87. I mean like, sometimes I don't use all the space I tought I would use. Sometimes we have too much or too little, in the end we can have parts that become innecesary to our main idea.

I think that maybe you could start by creating a map that doesn't lagg down your game, then just keep drawing all the main things of the map (like where the hero has to go to make some progress on the game), later on you can keep going with stuff that doesn't have that much importance (like the places that surrounds the main place(s)) and then just add some decorations. If you feel like making the map a little bigger then just add some numbers to its size (as much as you think you need to add some little things or just to complete anything that didn't fit because of the first size). Same if you think you have blank spaces that maybe you don't need, just make the map smaller or try re - placing some things to use the all the left space.

Other thing you could do, is drawing the idea of your map on a piece of paper or somewhere else, and divide it into diferent places, places that can become into smaller maps trough which the player can move. Same place but different maps.

1 hour ago, Natsuki-9 said:

I don't actually use RPG Maker MV (my computer does not support it), but, on RPG Maker VX, I usually make maps about 100 x 100, but sometimes they become into a 126 x 100 or also become into a 90 x 87. I mean like, sometimes I don't use all the space I tought I would use. Sometimes we have too much or too little, in the end we can have parts that become innecesary to our main idea.

I think that maybe you could start by creating a map that doesn't lagg down your game, then just keep drawing all the main things of the map (like where the hero has to go to make some progress on the game), later on you can keep going with stuff that doesn't have that much importance (like the places that surrounds the main place(s)) and then just add some decorations. If you feel like making the map a little bigger then just add some numbers to its size (as much as you think you need to add some little things or just to complete anything that didn't fit because of the first size). Same if you think you have blank spaces that maybe you don't need, just make the map smaller or try re - placing some things to use the all the left space.

Other thing you could do, is drawing the idea of your map on a piece of paper or somewhere else, and divide it into diferent places, places that can become into smaller maps trough which the player can move. Same place but different maps.

Thanks for the reply Natsuki. I'm not actually making a game, but a tool for making an RPG in Unity.... Essentially, RPG Maker for Unity. I've posted about the project here. Haven't updated the thread recently, but I have essentially completed the database part of the project and I'm now working on the Map Editor.

I've continued testing since I made the OP and I can support up to 150 x 150, but things will get laggy. Don't know how much you know about Unity, but it uses a thing called a GameObject. Currently, every tile is it's own GameObject, so with a 150 x 150 map, that's 22, 500 GameObjects. Then on top of that, there are 4 layers, so that's 90,000 GameObjects... annnddd this is why Unity is getting laggy. The solution I have come up with, is to remove the 4 layers, and just have a single layer of GameObjects, with 4 separate sprites per GameObject, and just set their order using Unity's Sorting Layer on the SpriteRenderers. 

I don't feel like 150 x 150 is large enough but if I move things to a single layer, this is going to cause it's own set of problems and requires A LOT of re-writing. Still, if it requires re-writing, better do it now than later... so need to know what kind of map sizes they'd be happy with.

I've attached a screenshot of the WIP on the Map Editor.

XLMapDemo.PNG

• Like 1

Ah got it now.

I like a lot your idea ❤️

Well, so as I said before. The max size I have worked on is 120 x 120. Maybe a little more, like 130 x 130, is the biggest I have ever needed. Don't think I may need more, at least that's my case.

• Like 1

Most maps in my project are 100x100 with some smaller than that, but my world map is 400x500

I have large maps because I'm doing a large project. And I'm expecting to need a lot of maps so I combined most together to save on files. So a house map will actually have 4-10 houses in it spaced apart so you would not see the other house when your inside one.

• Like 1

Thanks Natsuki :) Follow the main thread for the main updates.

And thanks Roninator, I was thinking 500 x 500 would be a reasonable cap.

But this thread has actually become moot. I gutted the code today. I won't get too technical, but if anyone else is looking to create a custom tile editor, just use Unity's in built Tilemap system. Now I'm making maps as large as 2000 x 2000 and PC isn't even breaking a sweat. Loading is still very much a chore, especially when every tile is used on every layer but anything below 250 x 250 is pretty much instantaneous and 500 x 500 taking about 30 seconds or so. If you can tolerate the 15 min load for a 2000 x 2000 map, once it is loaded, you can easily edit with no lag at all. Basically, any limitation now is down to user hardware, and Unity.

One of the things I'm 100% adding when I get to coding the Runtime side of things is a 2D version of ambient occlusion, which is when it only renders the tiles the camera can see. That way I'll never need more tiles than what I can fit within the screen, so the load times will always be tiny regardless of map size.

I might actually achieve my goal of maps large enough to create open word games. 🤓 

Screenshot from when I was stress testing a 1000 x 1000 map.

XXXLMapExample.thumb.PNG.cf789989fcc619b4568d47b2d0841699.PNG

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, ElCodes said:

Hey guys, first time mapping... How's my England?

....Be honest.

MapEngland.thumb.PNG.54418df28238a02c4399301487788d1d.PNG

I think is nice, just, there are left the round corners to make it look a little more natural.

• Haha 1