MasterMoes

How to fix corrupted data files?

Hello everyone,

One of the worst things that could have possibly happened to me happened. I was using RPG Maker VX Ace and as soon as I saved it, my power went out about a second later, exactly at 7:26 on the 4th of February. When I tried to re-open my project, whether it was opened manually or through VX Ace, this message appeared:

2123680660_error1.PNG.6330cae762c0900c23526b69a7a3fac0.PNG

When I tried double-clicking the actual game application, this message appears three times in a row for some reason:

671022955_error2.PNG.7aecbafe7b371a6d9bb97a8bb40f9b80.PNG

Which is then followed by this error:

1302806092_error3.PNG.5a23ed7c445bd968e4786642c8b97875.PNG

I did some research on this topic and discovered that this happens to a lot of people, but my situation seems much more extreme. What most of the tutorials suggest to do is create a new project and move all of the audio, data, graphics, movies, and system files into the folders of the new project, which I did. The only files having issues were the data files. I learned that you can see if a data file (in "rvdata2" format) is corrupted by opening it up in Notepad and seeing if there is anything in it. Unfortunatly, these files were apparently corrupted:

-animations, common events, map212, map214, mapinfos, scripts, states, system, tilesets, and troops.

Usually, only 1 or 2 files are corrupted during an interrupted save, but this is quite a lot of damage. At this point, I went to go replace the empty corrupted files with the files from my backup in the "projects" folder within the RPGMVXAce folder located in the Steam folder. The problem though is that it's gone! I only have the external copy of my game's files, which has the corrupted files in it. All of my other projects are still there though, including the blank template I made to try and fix this error.

I was able to replace all the other files properly, and replacing the DLL file in the systems folder stopped the above messages from appearing. Now these messages appear when I open the project or play the game:

297154797_error4.PNG.3cb96258a8d748a723bffb9aa4a2d744.PNG

878474073_error5.PNG.047136de5634c44400776be5d66ff30c.PNG

I also tried uninstalling and re-installing VX Ace, but the weird thing was that the desktop icon didn't disappear and neither did the app's local files, so I deleted them manually. When I re-installed VX Ace, my projects folder came back unchanged. VX Ace also isn't appearing in the windows search bar as an official app! Nothing changes if I enable/disable cloud saves on Steam!

So my question is, is there any way I can recover literally any previous version of my project or patch-up the rvdata2 corrupted files? These data files are 5 years worth of work, and my project is practically blank at this point. Any help and advice is appreciated.

There is a lot happening here.

First you should not save anything to the cloud for vx ace. NEVER.

Second the weird issue of the program not showing or removing. Do you have the steam version or Enterbrain version?

Third if you don't have a physical backup on another hard drive then you might be screwed.

The first problem you mentioned would be easy, replace the dll file from the program's rtp folder.

Then for the rvdata2 files corrupted, you can't recover those, only replace from backup. For every file that says it's corrupted, you would replace from a backup.

Then once you get back into the editor, you can check to see how much is missing from the last time you made a backup.

Finally get into the habit of making backups. I always zip up my data folder and save it in another location.

image.thumb.png.6e2f3eeb827e7b04add66f7ae431469f.png

Backups are the best for sure! But if you don't have any first thing you should do is check your disk for errors! Sometimes it can recover lost files that way! Right click on your C drive (or wherever you had the game stored) select properties then click the tools tab to find the error checker. Don't wait to long or the files might get overwritten! Make sure you save any lost chains/clusters it finds as they may be missing files!

Edited by Kayzee

I have only one word...
giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1
(yeah-this is exactly what immediately came to mind)

Well, I couldn't find the old backup I had, even with software like Disk Drive. It's just gone. I do have an idea though. My theory is if I could just revert the files from before the corrupted save, I can get the data back. I saved about two hours before the crahsed save happened, so if I can get that (or literally any other previous version) I can recover at least something.

Question: When a data file gets corrupted, is the information on it completely gone, or is there just messed up data inside of it?

Also, I think there was some way to fix corrupted map info, but I couldn't find the discussion again, as it was a long time ago. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Like, I still have all the maps I made, but how exactly does the mapinfo file affect the maps? As long as I can fix the map info, everything should be fine, I can redo the rest.

Another note, I tried using software that would let me retrieve an older version of the file, and the most recent I could receive were versions of the files from a week ago and another one from 17 days ago. These versions actually had visible data inside of it, but it still wasn't cooperating with VX Ace. It contained about the first half of the original data, but then there is a gap inbetween the rest of the data. With these versions of the files, my data isn't lost but is still corrupted. Is there anything I can do with these restored files?

Question summary: What exactly is happening when a file is corrupted, what does the map info file do, and can I do anything with the partially-missing restored files?

UPDATE: I found this software that sounds like it would do the trick. It says it fixes "corrupted file associations" for broken rvdata2 files, but it's not clear whether this is a fix for the actual file or it's a fix for some other rvdata2 issue. To all you experts out there, does this look like something that would help my situation? I'd like to know before buying it...

https://driversol.com/file-extensions/rvdata2-6650

5 hours ago, MasterMoes said:

Question: When a data file gets corrupted, is the information on it completely gone, or is there just messed up data inside of it?

It depends. Sometimes the data is overwritten and useless. Sometimes it exists somewhere and it's not indexed properly. Like I said, run the windows error checking utility for your disk! It will be able to recognize when files are messed up and sometimes fix them!

5 hours ago, MasterMoes said:

Question summary: What exactly is happening when a file is corrupted, what does the map info file do, and can I do anything with the partially-missing restored files?

A corrupted file means it wasn't written to the disk right, the mapinfo file just lists what maps your game is using, and you can always try starting a new project and replacing files one by one to see what files are good.

2 hours ago, MasterMoes said:

UPDATE: I found this software that sounds like it would do the trick. It says it fixes "corrupted file associations" for broken rvdata2 files, but it's not clear whether this is a fix for the actual file or it's a fix for some other rvdata2 issue. To all you experts out there, does this look like something that would help my situation? I'd like to know before buying it...

https://driversol.com/file-extensions/rvdata2-6650

It's a fix for windows not properly recognizing the file type. It's useless for your issue. In fact it's pretty useless in general.

Makes me wonder if dropping one of them in Notepad++, quicksaving it and then trying to re-import the file would make any difference.

6 hours ago, PhoenixSoul said:

Makes me wonder if dropping one of them in Notepad++, quicksaving it and then trying to re-import the file would make any difference.

That would probobly make things worse. 😕

8 hours ago, PhoenixSoul said:

That's actually an interesting idea. Perhaps it's not the data that's faulty, but the physical file! I'll experiment with that as carefully as possible.

16 hours ago, Kayzee said:

It depends. Sometimes the data is overwritten and useless. Sometimes it exists somewhere and it's not indexed properly. Like I said, run the windows error checking utility for your disk! It will be able to recognize when files are messed up and sometimes fix them!

A corrupted file means it wasn't written to the disk right, the mapinfo file just lists what maps your game is using, and you can always try starting a new project and replacing files one by one to see what files are good.

It's a fix for windows not properly recognizing the file type. It's useless for your issue. In fact it's pretty useless in general.

Kayzee, is this checking utility meant to find the missing backup or identify the corrupted files? I'm pretty sure I did the right thing but since nothing changed I either did something wrong or it just wasn't the solution.

EDIT: This is what you were thinking of right?

2041964302_error8.PNG.f64c121ece88a9664f675a1a6b382ee0.PNG

UPDATE: Putting the corrupted files into notepad++ just gave me a bunch of "nulls". The non-corrupted files worked fine though, so I guess this is proof that the data is gone and not "broken", but this is just through text applications. If only there was software specifically for fixing rvdata2 files, it would solve a lot of problems across all RPG Maker platforms!

Edited by MasterMoes
  • Sad 1

Not what I was thinking but I think that works?

What files are corrupted? If they are full of nulls then yeah the data is gone. You can replace them with files from a new project but the stuff in them will be gone. If your mapinfo file is corrupted it's slightly more cumbersome to fix though. Basically you make a new project and create a whole bunch of blank maps for each of the maps in your project then save the blank project and copy that mapinfo file over.

Edited by Kayzee

NUL is 0x00. In essence, blank data. In HxD, it'll appear as a dot in the text field. Yes, the data is 'gone'.
(in actuality, the data was not restored from NUL to SET - the save was only half done)
If we had access to the rvdata side of the source code, we could potentially fix this problem and possibly restore lost data.
(there's no reason we shouldn't have some kind of debugging tool for this or more people with source code access for these reasons among others)

Anyway, I really hope you figure it out, else, you may have to dig through a compressed iteration of your project, if you have releases out there that are compressed.
(I don't think it's fair to have a compression algorithm without a decompressor that comes with the software just in case something goes wrong - but that's how I'd do it and I guess I'm weird and different and 'uNaMeRiCaN' or whatever because of how I was raised)

MapInfo is literally a list of all the maps in the project, and what order the editor loads them in, along with various metadata not stored with Map###.
In truth, all one should focus on is reloading in the map data, and the MapInfo should regenerate itself.

Edited by PhoenixSoul

Sorry for the very late response, but I decided to just start the missing work over. After testing the software you all recommended, it didn't work. I've backed up all my data so it should never happen again. Thank you for the help and advice.

• Like 1