Sign in to follow this  
Amy Pond

Afar Online RPG

I would like to introduce my game. Unfortunately it's not made with RPG Maker! I am also generally better at making games than making topics about games, so the contents here may well be a poor description. Blowing my own trumpet, the game is very extensive, so much that I forget some of the things in it, which is a problem I'm trying to overcome by making things more obvious to the player.

afarlogo-big.png

Free Online RPG - Play now for free

All you need is a username and password - no e-mails, no nonesense.

Afar is a free online RPG. It is technically an MMORPG although I shy away from that word as it ups people's expectations; therefore consider it a Many-Players Online RPG.

Afar is played from the browser, with no downloads other than the usual for a website (images, html files, etc to your cache).

Released in the last quarter of 2010, Afar is over a year old, but is the natural successor of Vengeance, Lost Fantasy, and Chronicles of Afar, popular previous games of mine which have now been lost to the ether which were made in RM2K and RMXP over the years. Afar brings everything together (the storylines, the game worlds, different features) in one game.

The State of Afar

Since it is constantly updated, sometimes many times in one day, any thread I make is going to be quickly outdated. Here are some of the things you can do in Afar.

• Explore a vast world (over 200 maps link towns and outposts)
  • Interact with the scenery (cut down trees, sing and jump, press wild flowers)
  • Unlock items on an interactive world map
  • Complete quests to explore the storyline
  • Fight enemies in an animated battle system
  • Collect items and equipment
  • Create equipment using the item crafting system
  • Chat with other players in an in-built forum
  • Customise your character in a variety of ways

makeitems.png

Scope

There are currently:

• Nearly 700 players
  • 167 items to collect
  • 55 enemies to fight
  • 200 maps to explore
  • 63 faces to choose from

Most maps are a mixture of a textual narrative with interactive map elements such as trees, logs, items to pick up, chests to open, and other things. Towns and outposts are more detailed, and are unlocked on the world map when visited.

Some areas have compulsory boss battles between them, with more planned in the future.

tibencentral.pngwestgate.png

tibeneast.pngport.png

User Signatures

Dynamic signatures are available, and when anyone clicks yours, you get some gold.

2.png

Christmas Gift

Afar runs regular events where free limited release items are given out. This time last year it was the Santa Hat, which 52 people picked up. Since then there has been the Barbarian Set, Robin Hood Set, and Sailor Set.

164.png The current limited release item is the Christmas Cape, which is available now.

Multiplayer Elements

Afar is multiplayer in the following sense:

• Fight other players in a sim PvP battle system
  • Buy and sell items from other players in the second hand store
  • Chat with other players in an integrated forum
  • Play against other players in high scores tables

Credits

CODING

PHPBB is used as an absolute base, for secure user authentication and backbone.

All other programming by Amy Pond.

GRAPHICS

Refmap

Enterbrain (will be phased out when funds available)

Amy Pond

ADDITIONAL

Thanks to Injury for producing some scripts and other things.

Thanks to JBrist for creating the character animation in battle.

Free Online RPG - Play now for free

All you need is a username and password - no e-mails, no nonesense.

All comments, suggestions, and criticism very much welcome.

Edited by Amy Pond

There's been a LOT of improvement since I last played it. I'm definitely going back to give it another round Amy.

Praise the 700 players too, I have no doubt this could easily get a couple thousands soon enough.

Thank you. I am currently working on the Android app for it, which will be available from the app store for free when it's done. I hope that that will bring more players in as a form of free advertising more than anything, but the game is also perfect for scaling down into an app. It will be playable from both browser and app, with emphasis on the browser, but I hope to gain a new audience from apps. If the android app works well then I'll work on one for iPhone and other devices.

This looks like fun. I'm particularly interested in the app your talking about. That would be much easier for me personally since I'm on the go a lot. Simulated player versus player battle system right? Mind if I ask for a little more info on that part?

Things were a bit slow over the holiday period, however today sees a large update which will lead to further expansion in the future: the spellbook.

1.png2.png

All users now start off with two spells automatically equipped: fireball and rockfall. (Nothing new there). Now however, you can find new spells in various parts of the game, which can be learnt. Once learnt you can choose up to nine spells to take with you into battle.

spellbook_1.png

To access the spellbook and choose your nine battle spells, click Inventory and then Spellbook on the right hand side of the screen.

There are currently four spells in the game. Fireball and Rockfall are learnt by default.

3.png4.png

Lightning Bolt and Heal are two new spells. You can learn these by using two new items from the inventory, knowledge scrolls which can be found by fighting enemies as occassional semi-rare drops.

170.png

More spells will be coming in the near future. If you find any errors or problems with this or any other updates, please let me know ASAP.

________

Tonight should see an expansion to nine spells in the spellbook, one for each of the proposed elements. After that there will be enough to have to choose your spells carefully before going into dungeons and such.

Heat

Earth

Electric

Healing

Emotion

Water

Cold

Air

Light

Hopefully a future update will introduce the concept of status effects, making spells so much more useful and strategic. Enemies will also be able to use them. Depending on how much time I have I might even get started on that tonight but no promises.

Tonight by minimum there will be the nine base elemental spells, anyway.

Le Big Update

UPDATE

There are now nine spells to choose from. They correspond to the base elements.

Heal heals the player (funnily enough). The rest act on the enemy, causing a variety of damage depending on the spell.

All spells are subject to future buffing/nerfing as required to balance them; they have been given prospective stats for now. Please let me know if you feel they are too powerful (or not powerful enough!)

Spells will have more impact once status effects are done. Enemies will also be able to use status effects to inflict things such as poison, freeze, etc on the player (and vice versa), adding an element of strategy to battles which is much needed. Watch this space.

The Spells

There are now nine spells then, two are learnt by all players to start them off; the other seven are learnt from spell scrolls which are currently obtainable from battle.

They are:

Fireball (heat)

Rockfall (earth)

Lightning Bolt (electric)

Heal (healing)

Phantom (emo)

Sonic Boom (air)

Shard (cold)

Splash (water)

Stardust (light)

They do a variety of damage and require different MP to use, to add some variance, however elements are not yet implemented. Spells will be more useful once elements and status effects come into play.

So, happy hunting!

I have given each spell scroll a different level of rarity, to make things more interesting. I thought they might be too rare, however I have picked up a few on my travels.

Basic spell scrolls can be sold and bought at the tat exchange, however more powerful scrolls in the future may not be buyable or sellable, and some may only be obtainable from quests.

Edited by Amy Pond

Introducing another hefty update to the battle system:

STATUS EFFECTS

When fighting an enemy, they may invoke a special status effect on you. You can have more than one effect on you at the same time.

Currently the only effect is poison.

If you have poison, you are dealt an extra four damage per turn on top of any other damage.

How do I know if I am poisoned?

Your HP bar will turn green, and you'll see a large green +4 on the screen when your damage is shown.

How do I get poisoned?

Some enemies (currently all snakes) have a random chance (about 1 in 2) of invoking the poison condition.

How can I poison enemies?

Some items can be used in battle to poison enemies! Currently Fungi (the green mushroom) can be used to give the enemy poison, and this is a 100% chance.

==

NEW SPELL

There are now ten spells in the game (so you'll have to choose carefully what to take with you!).

Toxicity is a non-damage-dealing spell. It invokes the Poison condition on the enemy.

You can learn it from a RARE knowledge scroll obtained from battle.

Edited by Amy Pond

Making battles more interesting again: stacking status effects.

There is a new status effect called Burning, which basically means you're On Fire.

While on fire you'll take an extra 5 damage every turn.

Currently, the only way to be set on fire is a chance attack from a dragon (hidden boss location).

But there's a twist

Status effects can now stack. If you're on fire, taking 5 damage per turn, and are then poisoned, you will take 9 damage per turn as both still take effect.

(You'll see this by a chain of numbers under your hit counter for each effect on you).

In future there will be negative damage effects (continuous healing, sometimes referred to as regeneration or regen in other games), which also stack. So you could take -2 damage from healing, +4 damage from poison; in total you'd take 2 damage.

Edited by Amy Pond

What's not to understand?

No, it's not made in Flash, it is programmed in PHP, HTML, and Javascript. It is ran from a browser like any website. No installation is required.

It doesn't take much to try it out, a throwaway username and password and you're in. :)

I've been playing for a while. I like it. It reminds me of of Zynga's Vampire Wars. Just the way it's semi text-based. I also enjoy the way you have the forums set up as well. Not to mention the use of RM2k/3 and XP graphics. It adds a familiarity to the game.

It's nice to see how far you have progressed ^^

Is the christmas cape still available?

I thought RM2k/3 and XP graphics couldn't be used without consent or licence for non-RPG Maker stuff?

I'm confused, where do you see RTP graphics being used?

*hugs*

The Christmas Cape has been removed, sorry.

Yes there are RMXP RTP graphics. These are remnants of the game's past, it started off as an RPG Maker game which could simply also be played via a browser (it was a Netplay game, ran with a MySQL database) - Afar as it is now is really just the browser client of that RPG Maker game. But the RPG Maker side was scrapped, and I don't have money or time to replace the graphics. This is why the game isn't commercial yet.

I intend to phase out the RMXP RTP graphics soon, however don't have much time with Uni.

I own RPG Maker XP but I know that's no excuse.

I'm not however using RM2k/3 graphics; I am using Refmap graphics, which are licensed for commercial use, alongside RMXP RTP graphics, which are not. The game will not be commercial while the RMXP graphics are in it.

This game's costing me $19.99 a month with no return at the moment. :/

Edited by Amy Pond

Thank you.

I plan to do some kind of fundraiser to get the money needed to replace the RMXP graphics. I'm skint at the moment. I doubt anybody would donate though.

I've spent well in excess of £800 on this project since 2007, most of it for no reason (scripts that never worked, web hosting that's now used up, and a self-built server due to gross misknowledge on my side... heh.)

Interesting statistic: Afar has ran on it's own server for 254 days now, and in that time it has never gone down. I'd say that's pretty good! Worth the $19.99 I'm paying.

Every day that goes by Afar gets more and more expensive with nothing in return. I'm keeping it online, but until we have our own graphics, I can't make it commercial, so... yeah. It's a bit of a bugger.

Forum Moderators

I could do with one or two forum moderators to help out on the forums. They aren't very active, and what I need is a couple of friends to just take part in conversations, welcome new members, comment on updates (legitimately), and so on.

Abilities:

Posts display with a green background, and your username is bold and silver

Access to a moderator's lounge

Ability to hide posts from display by clicking a button (basically removing them from public view)

Ability to move posts between discussion boards

Expectations:

To be reasonably active. If you aren't on for a couple of weeks without warning expect your status to be revoked.

To be positive about the game and about new people who join.

Not to get into arguments on the forums.

Additional:

Forum moderators who've been there for at least a month will probably be added to the game as NPCs. Because of this, please pick a character name (and, if possible, username, although not so important) - that is befitting a role play and that you expect to keep for a while. This should be a reasonable name. No numbers, etc. It can be Name - Surname. It should not imply any important role (i.e. don't call yourself Administrator Javert).

When the game goes commercial there may be a small amount of money to come your way, but I can't promise to pay you. At the moment not even I am making money.

I understand that the role of forum moderator is actually a pretty big ask, but for some reason everyone wants to be one.

If you wish to apply please understand that:

- You might not get picked. I mean absolutely nothing personal by this. I am after very few people and obviously expect far more applications than actual roles.

- If somebody does get picked over you it doesn't mean I don't like you or that I like them more. Different people are better at different things.

How to apply

Please post an application here in this thread, explain why you want to be a moderator, your former experience (although the system is far simpler than most forums), and anything else you want to add that you feel will help your application.

Things that would help your application

If you have never posted on the forums before, or indeed don't know how to access them or how they work, it is highly unlikely you will be picked.

Posting around on the forums will definately help. Being an active player of the game moreso, as you will have something to talk about!

Statistics

The in-game forums basically represent a small forum in normal terms. 930 posts in 291 threads by 754 users, and an average post per day of only 2.

Thank you. If you still don't like it I understand, it's not to everyone's tastes.

Anyone who is playing - head on over to the Tat Exchange! (Inventory -> Secondhand Store)

There are some great items on offer I noticed. First come first serve.

172.png Three spell scrolls - going for 50 each - that's a bargain, Phantom, Lightning Bolt, and Sonic Boom.

On top of that some food items for your constitution stat, and 107.png green fungi that you can use in battle to give the enemy poison.

Edited by Amy Pond

I play and for the first moment i said: i can´t move my character WTF!! but i start clicking things and making the first battles and it really becames addicting,

its very elaborated and interactive!! also in the item description iit can be seen that you put a lot of love & effort.

if you make an applet of afar online can became really enjoyable because it is very adicting and fits perfectly with the touch-screen that all the smartphones have.

you have a very good market vision! you have my congratulations!! =)

It's okay, I'd rate it maybe 7/10 for a sprite RPG game.

It feels like if you are just starting in the game, you are just dumped in the middle of nowhere not really knowing what to do or how to do it. I walked around for a bit, clicked random spots on the map, ended up at some camp where nothing is happening and I can only go backwards to where I just came from.

What I like about it is the RPG text-based style it has. You said there's over 200 maps so I can tell that a player who has played through all those maps have had fun just reading the roleplay. Although, nothing interesting has really happened, like there hasn't been an 'event' that explains stuff to me.. Maybe if you made a beginner tutorial, or a beginning introduction to the world of Afar so that new players can understand what the game is about.. idk :P

I think I'll play this a bit further, and see where I end up ^.^

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm afraid I am very inactive at the moment, University entering it's final weeks and all. I have big plans for the game but they will have to wait a short while.

I play and for the first moment i said: i can´t move my character WTF!! but i start clicking things and making the first battles and it really becames addicting,

Yes, this is a common problem... I will have to work something out (I'll come back to this one in a sec)

its very elaborated and interactive!! also in the item description iit can be seen that you put a lot of love & effort.

if you make an applet of afar online can became really enjoyable because it is very adicting and fits perfectly with the touch-screen that all the smartphones have.

you have a very good market vision! you have my congratulations!! =)

This is the plan... eventually. Although, from University I haven't had good experiences with mobile gaming, haha, our class in it is shambles really mainly due to the software being bad! A mobile app is planned though (it's actually done, but there is a lot of change needed in the game itself before it can be released). Some time in 2012.

It feels like if you are just starting in the game, you are just dumped in the middle of nowhere not really knowing what to do or how to do it. I walked around for a bit, clicked random spots on the map, ended up at some camp where nothing is happening and I can only go backwards to where I just came from.

Indeed. A lot of people have said this and I haven't done a good job of fixing that.

I think, I am going to introduce one of the long quest arcs of the original Vengeance game (the Battle for Amik pass). This will be a long quest which will involve tutorials and introduce characters, and will serve as an introduction to the game (that can be skipped and completed at a later time). It definately needs something.

You said there's over 200 maps so I can tell that a player who has played through all those maps have had fun just reading the roleplay. Although, nothing interesting has really happened, like there hasn't been an 'event' that explains stuff to me.. Maybe if you made a beginner tutorial, or a beginning introduction to the world of Afar so that new players can understand what the game is about.. idk

There are quests, and dungeons, but I'll admit they aren't very easy to locate really. I definately need to work on this.

Thanks for the comments, and I hope to update this heavily in the future, but for now things are slow until University is out.

Cheers.