Animated Battlers

Version 1.2

by Fomar0153

Introduction

This script adds the ability to have animated battlers in battles.

Features

+ Animated Battlers

+ Individual Battlers can be customised

+ Animations can be of differing length

Screenshot

SS0010.png

Holder's battlers used in Screenshot.

How to Use

First copy the script into your scripts section then consult further instruction located at the top of the script.

Script

The most update version of this script can always be found on my blog.

F.A.Q.

No questions asked.

Credits and Thanks

Fomar0153

Anyone whose battlers you use.

Author's Notes

Besides bug fixes I do not intend to update this script further. By default this is setup to use battlers like Holder's.

This script is compatible with my other battle system (Customisable ATB/CTB/Stamina Based Battle System)

Edited by Fomar0153

It does not have to be used in a side view does it?

I like battlers that animate, but i have no desire at the moment for side view battles.

I know Jet has added the features you asked for to his script, if however you would prefer to use mine over his for any reason let me know and I'll make a modified version of my script for you.

Well it looks like we won't be hurting for animated battler scripts. Now we have a little variety too, nice work.

Thanks ^_^

great.. hope you add weapon animation so we can use the actual sprite sheet. no need to make more battlers just like takentai and hoping for more configuration for skills so we can use many animation in one skill.. great great work..

great.. hope you add weapon animation so we can use the actual sprite sheet. no need to make more battlers just like takentai and hoping for more configuration for skills so we can use many animation in one skill.. great great work..

When I'm done you should be able to specify a certain row for a certain skill or item and define the row's length. What do you mean by weapon animation?

Edit: Also don't refer to takentai when describing something, I have no idea other what takentai is or what it could do other than it was a battle system for VX.

Edited by Fomar0153

When I'm done you should be able to specify a certain row for a certain skill or item and define the row's length. What do you mean by weapon animation?

That means that you are working in an update??? Thats great!!!

Hope you include an option to specify the position of each actor and an option to decide if the actor aproches to the target or not with certain skill, thank you.

and an option to decide if the actor aproches to the target or not with certain skill, thank you.

That already existed but I've added overrides to the default.

Anyway first post updated.

Here's the list of changes:

1.0 -> 1.1

Added Notetag support for default battlers <battler name> and you can edit it through the game e.g. $game_actors[1].battler_name = "Fomar0153"

Added support for individual battler setup

Added support for different length animations

Added support for individual skill and item animations

Added notetag support to further define when skills are close and long range. <close> <range>

Wonderful Fomar! You promised, and you delivered. Thank you very much. This is the one script I desperately needed. The only script to make me shout "YES!" with a fist pump. lol. I'll let you know if there are any bugs.

EDIT: I'm having a very hard time understanding the configuration. Is it possible to set a few examples for different frames?

Edited by thechancellor

Ok let's say your main character's battler is called "Eric" and we want his attack animations to be 6 frames long. Also we have a special animation for one of his attacks.

So assuming there's a row just for credits we have fifteen rows.

So POSE_ATTACk, POSE_MAGIC and POSE_SKILL will be length 6, everything else 4.

Skill id 3 will use row 15 (Eric's special skill).

BATTLERS['Eric'] = {}
 BATTLERS['Eric']['FRAMES'] = 6
 BATTLERS['Eric']['VFRAMES'] = 15
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_IDLE']	 = 0
 BATTLERS['Eric'][0]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_DEFEND']   = 1
 BATTLERS['Eric'][1]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_WHOOZY']   = 2
 BATTLERS['Eric'][2]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_STRUCK']   = 3
 BATTLERS['Eric'][3]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_ATTACK']   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric'][4]			   = 6
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_ITEM']	 = []
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_ITEM'][0]  = 5
 BATTLERS['Eric'][5]			   =4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_SKILL']	= []
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_SKILL'][3] = 14
 BATTLERS['Eric'][14]			   =6
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_SKILL'][0] = 6
 BATTLERS['Eric'][6]			   =6
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_MAGIC']	= 7
 BATTLERS['Eric'][7]			   = 6
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_ADVANCE']  = 8
 BATTLERS['Eric'][8]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_RETREAT']  = 9
 BATTLERS['Eric'][9]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_VICTORY']  = 10
 BATTLERS['Eric'][10]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_ENTER']	= 11
 BATTLERS['Eric'][11]			   = 4
 BATTLERS['Eric']['POSE_DEAD']	 = 12
 BATTLERS['Eric'][12]			   = 4
 # When doing the victory pose loop back to frame
 # 0 for the first frame
 # (FRAMES - 1) to not loop
 BATTLERS['Eric']['VICTORY_LOOP']  = 1

So far things are working well. There are two slight issues.

1. There's an odd flashing/blinking of the character on certain poses. The struck pose, even when set to 1 frame, vanishes for a bit when triggered. Same thing happens with the enter pose just before the idle pose starts.

2. When the character is in critical, or the Whoozy Pose, all the other poses are ruined. In a whoozy pose, my character uses only one frame when advancing, but in the idle pose, the frames used return to normal.

Edited by thechancellor

So far things are working well. There are two slight issues.

1. There's an odd flashing/blinking of the character on certain poses. The struck pose, even when set to 1 frame, vanishes for a bit when triggered. Same thing happens with the enter pose just before the idle pose starts.

2. When the character is in critical, or the Whoozy Pose, all the other poses are ruined. In a whoozy pose, my character uses only one frame when advancing, but in the idle pose, the frames used return to normal.

I never experienced any flickering when testing this script. Could you describe more clearly how to cause number 2, it might be a bug.

That makes sense. The flickering isn't in fact actually flickering, it's just cycling through the entire row of frames. So I've come to the conclusion that the bug that I described with Jet's animated battlers script is the same thing that's happening here. All the poses seem to follow the same configuration as what is listed in POSE_IDLE. When I change the frame number in that configuration, all the other rows do too.

EDIT: Would it be easier if I sent you the battle sheet that I'm working with?

Edited by thechancellor

Awesome. Going to test it out right quick.

EDIT: Problem solved. Finally, we have a complete Animated Battlers script. Great job Fomar, and thank you so much for your patience and hard work. Another thing to note. There doesn't seem to be too many compatibility issues with YEA. The only thing I've noticed so far is that actors don't show pop-up damage. Enemies still do, though.

Edited by thechancellor

Awesome. Going to test it out right quick.

EDIT: Problem solved. Finally, we have a complete Animated Battlers script. Great job Fomar, and thank you so much for your patience and hard work. Another thing to note. There doesn't seem to be too many compatibility issues with YEA. The only thing I've noticed so far is that actors don't show pop-up damage. Enemies still do, though.

Glad to hear it.

I'll add it to my list of scripts to do but it is going to the bottom.

I'm having trouble setting this up. I keep getting a no method error at:

@set_pose = Animated_Battlers.get_pose(@battler.battler_name,"POSE_ENTER")

I'm using Fomar's ATB, Sideview, and this script together. I have a battler named DEFAULT and one sheet named actorname_battler.

Edit: Also tried without the Sideview and tried DEFAULT_battler and I still get the error.

I was trying to use Holder's sprite sheet, which uses 4 frames instead of 6, that I'm aware. I'm sure I'm just inputting something wrong... :(

Edited by ShindoW

For some reason my battle sprites don't show up. (That's with just the Animated Battlers script.) As I said before I have DEFAULT_battler and actorname_battler in my Battler folder, both are Holder's sprite sheets.

I went in and renamed everything that said default to default_battler and now it's giving me the method error again. So either the sprites don't show up or I get the method error.

My other scripts are:

Yanfly Aftermath

Blue Magic (Fomar)

Yanfly Party Management

Yanfly Message System

Edited by ShindoW

I copied a fresh vers of the script over.

I put <battler arte> (using the sprite sheet named arte.png under battlers) in my actor notebox. I didn't change the script. I got no method error undefined method 'battler name' for nil:NilClass.

Edited by ShindoW