SugaRay Jenkins

[RMVX & A] Day-Night Transition without the scripting

Useful?!  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone, I finaly decided to join the community because I thought I could help people out in the hardships of making games.

(Of course I'm still a noob myself, And this is my very first post so don't ding me to bad XD)

Now I've been playing around with RMVXA a lot lately and while i was randomly making a BS test run of a enemy attack system.

I came to the conclusion that I wanted to actualy try to make a back story. So I ended up making a back story and then I ended up

deciding I wanted to make a game! So I pondered for a while and wanted to add all kinds of crazy features and nick nacks and what not. The only problem is that I know no codeing of any sort at all (You know, with the scripting tab) However I noticed I was decent at comeing up with events on the event editor.

Well I wanted to add a bit of demention to my game and add that little touch I don't think a lot of people have. I wanted to make a day and night transition system. Now at first I was thinking "Holy crap, this is going to be very complicated. There will be thousands of variables, a hundred triggers and pages and pages of scripting!" But fortunatly, through some crafty thinking and my ability to over analize things, my transition system was born. (Also note that, from what I understand, RMVX works just like RMVXA so this can be implemented into that program as well, though I've never tried to do it myself.)

Untitled.jpg

Now that's just a glance at how the map looks. It gets right to the point. The man at the bottom turns the cycle on.

Goingintonight.png

After a certain amount of time the cycle will then tell you that it's going to be night.

Night.jpg

And finaly, this picture shows how it looks after the transition is made. (After a fade in and out transistion.)

The tutorial comes with full step by step instructions that tell you just about everything you need to know and hopefuly eases the frustration you could of have had if they weren't there. XD If you have any questions, tips, experiences, or comments please post it here or send me a private message. I'll check daily (if not hourly) and hopefully I can reply to you as soon as possible.

(Ya, it's a mediafire, hopefuly you dont have much trouble working with that. If you do I can send you the file myself.)

Thank you.

Great idea, but you dont really need the fadeout/fadein's the tint event, slowly tints the screen.. the only thing you would need to do is change is what happens is A: one character slowly moves away and leaves the area, while the other one walks into the area. or B: just like the transition take place and let the npc's appear and disappear. With the night/day cycle.

Well, you have to remember, This is a system that can have it's features expanded upon. If you so wish to slowly tint the screen to dark and back to light and give NPC's events that gives them a path so that they do go to their homes it's up to you. The little demo just shows the most basic of features. If you choose to make things more complicated then this is the basic structure for it. The freedom to change what you want is whats best about the system.

And thanks for bringing this thread up! QUQ I felt it was going to fade into the dark pit of the forum XD

Nah I like eventing more the scripting. I use a skit system from eventing if you ever played any of the tales games. Plus I think I ran across someone else who had the same idea as me, not sure if he used events or scripted the skits. Making events is easier in my opinion. Although I understand scripts pretty well and can read from the lines of code how everything is done.

Edit: Just like I wish I knew enough of scripting I can actually design my menu the way I want it to look like. But can't. Don't really want to bother someone to make it for me, since its likely going to be time consuming ;/.

Edited by lawfirm

Your event is bugged.

If you're in a house during night and it transitions to day, then you leave, night stays on, but it still thinks it's day.

The game had both the night guy and day guy outside when I went out with night tinting on.

If you'd like I can show you my day/night event.

OAO W-Woah? Really? I haven't ran into that yet... huh... Ya, It would be nice if you did. I could take a look at this and fix up whatever the problem may be and re-post the tutorial XD it would be a great help.

(Edit) I tested the original copy out... And It hasn't done it with me... Do you mean during the transition maybe? While going through the fade you can see whoever is suppose to be showing after the fade and the guy before it... Of course that just rearanging the eventing or adding a wait event in their so that it doesn't make the person appear a split second before the fade. XD

Edited by SugaRay Jenkins

I replicated the problem for you, and can tell you how to replicate it as well. I'm not sure what causes it though. I'll optimize your code to see what I can do and you can take a look.

My own system is a little different from yours, so you may want to use your own. But I can show you mine incase you want to have a time system that works a little differently.

DEMO of TH Time System

I imported it to your map as an example of how it works.

It's not documented though. :(

So I'm sure you want to know how to replicate the bug I found.  Basically all you have to do is keep walking in and out of the house over and over. It bugs when you enter in the middle of a day/night transitioning and going in/out the door.

O A O' W-Wow... See, I was wondering why it wasn't working for me. I would think that would be a very minor bug as well, but it could be game breaking.... >.< I don't know exactly how to fix this.... I'll Mess around with the eventing and Try to come up with the solution. Really I'm quite surprised you found it.

But eh, that's what testing is for right? :D

It has the potential to occur with some ease. It may take a few map transitions to happen, but eventually it will.

I've made a lot of things before, and testing is just something I'm use to. I'll see if I can't find the problem and optomize the code along with you.

Nonetheless it's a great system and great for beginners. Keep making them and experimenting. You comment your events well which is always a plus.

Here, I'll explain how you optimize this:

DAY/NIGHT switch;

Some people don't know this but Switches are really just booleans. Booleans just mean true or false.

I'm telling this because DAY and NIGHT don't overlap, so really DAY is either TRUE or FALSE. If it's false, is night.

You really only need 1 switch.

DAY.

This could fix your problem entirely.

Also, Parallel Processes slow down performance, especially when they reach a certain number. You can put all your common events together in one common event.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Titanhex

I've actually taken those suggestions into account. Originally when I began making the system I was questioning what would be the best way to do this. However I didn't have as much knowledge of triggers and what not that I have now But I remember question whether to use two switches or one. And that does make sense. I may want to do a whole revamping of it and I should be able to post it up on the media fire.

But in any case, Thank you for the encouragement as well as helpful feed back. It makes me want to make another system XD