Yanomry

A very easy way to make the infamous 1 hp attack for enemies or players

I know, I know, I know.. you're probably tired of seeing this question asked. " How do i get the enemy/boss to do an attack that causes all my players to have 1 hp left." well i'm gonna show you how to do this for both players and even for enemies. why enemies just so you can have that one scene where the "super strong mystery guy saves the day".. you can thank me later, and please do thank me if you happen to use this method.

first for players.

Untitled2.png

I honestly have no idea why this question keeps arising though starting to annoy me very much.

and now just so this tutorial does more than answer a simple request here's how you could do this for enemies.

Untitled3.png

again not super complicated although it does take a bit longer to set up the enemy version than the character

all in all eventing this shouldn't take more than 10 mins even for the newbie-st of us all.

Sometimes it's just a matter of digging into the database and events and trying these out for yourself, or checking out the events of an open game. A lot of stuff I've learned to do I discovered by accident, which makes it much more exciting. Still, if people realized the power of variables is so much greater than just killing X amount of slimes, they'd be able to do come up with a lot of great stuff.

Thanks for the guide, though. I've been thinking about adding something like this for one of my own boss characters, but haven't gotten around to it yet. This will save me a bit of legwork.

yes but you can link it to an enemy attack or player attack via the effects box, to give it the desired effect of at least seeming like an attack, and yes the above formula does work as well but most people won't learn how to do formula's until later on so this is the simplest way in terms of actually thought and you could even reference this event outside of battle so it's more like a anytime you want the player to have 1hp event as well. Thanks for the feed back and I to think that people underestimate the power of eventing as just the usefulness of variables in general, I think i'll start post some tutorials on here to get people to think about using events more instead of just going straight for the script request.

The only problem I see with what you did for the move the enemy uses on the players is you set the variable based on player 1's HP and did the damage to the entire party. If player 1's max HP is 200 and player 2's is 190, player 2 is going to die from this method. To do this to an entire party, you'd have to have to set the variable to player 1's MHP - 1, do damage to him, set the variable to player 2's MHP - 1, damage them, etc. Or use a different variable for each. There are many ways to do it (I like formulas, but some people seem allergic).

The only problem I see with what you did for the move the enemy uses on the players is you set the variable based on player 1's HP and did the damage to the entire party. If player 1's max HP is 200 and player 2's is 190, player 2 is going to die from this method. To do this to an entire party, you'd have to have to set the variable to player 1's MHP - 1, do damage to him, set the variable to player 2's MHP - 1, damage them, etc. Or use a different variable for each. There are many ways to do it (I like formulas, but some people seem allergic).

If I remember correctly you need to set it to b.hp -1 NOT mhp. IF I am wrong, then I am wrong.

i knew that you would have to set each players hp to 1 individually just forgot to add the other variables in and adjust it right sorry about that.

also you don't wanna use mhp for this as the player may not have full health at the time of the attack.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Yanomry

not really you just repeat until you reach the desired amount of players and a formula can only be used on attacks and skills and not on events, my method can be used outside of battle, before battle, or even after battle.

There is an easier way.

Make a skill and make the formula as (b.hp-1) with no variance and no criticals.

Set it to target whoever you want.

I tried that simple formula & it works, but I noticed a flaw. I set an enemy to use a skill that reduces a player's HP to 1, but if you are Guarding when you get hit with it, your current HP gets cut in half instead. Is there a way so that the 1 HP effect penetrates Guarding?

Is there a way to make a State enter into effect prior to the damage? Because I think you can set one State to cancel out another, since all the Guard command is, is setting a Defense boost state on yourself.

there is no way that is simpler than just making the common event.

Yes there are.

Skill/Item formula:

b.hp = 1; 0;

This ignores guard state.

Or if you insist on using a common event, you can use a script call:

$game_party.battle_members.each do |member|
 next if member.dead?
 member.hp = 1
end

With this, it will only reduce the HP of actors in battle. The issue with your method is that it will affect actors that are not in battle as well.

Is there a way to make a State enter into effect prior to the damage? Because I think you can set one State to cancel out another, since all the Guard command is, is setting a Defense boost state on yourself.

It's not actually a defense boost, it's a flat damage rate reduction when it goes through the blender that is Game_Battler#make_damage_value

If I remember correctly you need to set it to b.hp -1 NOT mhp. IF I am wrong, then I am wrong.

There is an easier way.

Make a skill and make the formula as (b.hp-1) with no variance and no criticals.

Set it to target whoever you want.

I tried that simple formula & it works, but I noticed a flaw. I set an enemy to use a skill that reduces a player's HP to 1, but if you are Guarding when you get hit with it, your current HP gets cut in half instead. Is there a way so that the 1 HP effect penetrates Guarding?

That's useful info thanks.

This seems so complicated for an attack that can simply be done using the damage formula.

Or am I missing something?

b.hp = rand(21) +1

(or b.hp = 1 if it needs to be exactly 1 point of HP).

Set variance to 0 and done!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.