Vlue

Advanced Game Time

Advanced Game Time v1.2
By V.M. of D.T.

Introduction
The Advanced version of the Game Time script. 

This version features customizable time increments, seconds, minutes, hours, days, weekdays, months, years, you can set them all however you want. As well as a new tinting system, no more taking control of the built in tint, this one uses it's own and comes with support for Khas's lighting effects script (since that's a big deal). And last but not least, message codes to include time variations in your messages!

Features
- Customizable time increments
- Customizable tints
- Message codes!

Screenshots
None at the moment

How to Use
Plug and play and customize if needed.

Script
Click here for the handy pastebin!
Want to go the extra mile? Click here instead!

Some extra custom times I threw together for fun:
Harvest Moon-esque

#Time it takes for a second (or minute) to pass, in frames
#(Frame rate is 60 frames per second)
TIMELAPSE = 60
#Whether to use seconds or not
NOSECONDS = true
#Number of seconds in a minute
SECONDSINMIN = 0
#Number of minutes in an hour
MINUTESINHOUR = 60
#Number of hours in a day
HOURSINDAY = 24
#Names of the days (As little or as many days in the week as you want)
DAYNAMES = ["Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday"]
#Day name abbreviations
DAYNAMESABBR = ["Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu","Fri","Sat"]
#Number of days in each month (Also represents number of months in a year)
MONTHS = [30,30,30,30]
#Names of the months
MONTHNAMES = ["Spring","Summer","Autumn","Winter"]
#Abrreviated names of the months
MONTHNAMESABBR = ["SPR","SUM","AUT","WIN"]

Olden times RPG thingy (kinda?)

#Time it takes for a second (or minute) to pass, in frames
#(Frame rate is 60 frames per second)
TIMELAPSE = 120
#Whether to use seconds or not
NOSECONDS = true
#Number of seconds in a minute
SECONDSINMIN = 0
#Number of minutes in an hour
MINUTESINHOUR = 60
#Number of hours in a day
HOURSINDAY = 24
#Names of the days (As little or as many days in the week as you want)
DAYNAMES = ["Firstday","Moonday","Twinsday","Midweek","Thorsday","Freeday","Lastday"]
#Day name abbreviations
DAYNAMESABBR = ["FRS","MON","TWI","MID","THO","FRE","LST"]
#Number of days in each month (Also represents number of months in a year)
MONTHS = [30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30,30]
#Names of the months
MONTHNAMES = ["Snowfall","Lastcold","Newleaf","Rainfall","Floodsweek",
"Greenleaf","Sunburst","Redleaf","Leaffall","Firstfall"]
#Abrreviated names of the months
MONTHNAMESABBR = ["SNW","LCL","NEW","RAI","FLO","GRE","SUN","RED","LEA","FRS"]

FAQ
None yet.

Credit and Thanks
- By V.M. of D.T.
- Free to use in any non commercial and commercial project.

Author's Notes
This script hasn't been thoroughly tested but works for the most part. I'm sure there are some bugs
remaining. Give it time.

Donations always accepted and appreciated through Paypal: sumptuaryspade@live.ca

History
V1.2 - Fixed KHAS no tint bug
- Multi-line custom clocks!
- Changed the way notint maps work (notetags instead of an array now)

V1.1 - Save/load time
- Custom clock setups
- Year post (AD/BC/etc...)
- Fixed KHAS bug
- Allow use of tint in battle
- no tint maps actually no tint
- Clock in the Menu
- Map Note tag to stop time
- Option to sync with PC time

Want a feature that you don't see here put in? Feel free to comment and I'll see what I can do!

Edited by Vlue

Just a question, would this work with the same script calls as the basic? Because I have certain events tied into it, and I don't want to go re-eventing everything.

Kudos for the good work though, this one sounds much better, especially because it doesn't take control of the built in tinting, thus not pretty much disabling tinting events.

I tried to keep all the script calls same, but change and set didn't make it through.

commercial means you sells the projects.

what if the situation like this:

i own toy stores. and i plan to make rpg maker vx ace games as bonus for my customers.

my customers is usually children around age 4 - 16 years old.

i don't actually sell them. i just give them to my customer whenever they buy my toys.

i'm planning that way because making games is one of my hobbies. and it would be nice if my customer happy when playing my games. and for the truth. i also proud if they play my games (sense of acknowledgement? LOL).

besides... i only give them what the cost of a cd/dvd as their purchase bonus(not counting days i spent to made them because that's my hobby).

i actually ask victor about this too and he give his permission to use his script in my game bonus project.

http://victorscripts.wordpress.com/terms-of-use/

the question is can i use your script in one of my projects (yes i made some of them to give to my lucky customer :D).

if you give permission. i will credits you in game and put your approval inside the cds/dvds in credits/approval folder. (i will save the page)

thx in advance

commercial means you sells the projects.

what if the situation like this:

i own toy stores. and i plan to make rpg maker vx ace games as bonus for my customers.

my customers is usually children around age 4 - 16 years old.

i don't actually sell them. i just give them to my customer whenever they buy my toys.

i'm planning that way because making games is one of my hobbies. and it would be nice if my customer happy when playing my games. and for the truth. i also proud if they play my games (sense of acknowledgement? LOL).

besides... i only give them what the cost of a cd/dvd as their purchase bonus(not counting days i spent to made them because that's my hobby).

i actually ask victor about this too and he give his permission to use his script in my game bonus project.

http://victorscripts.wordpress.com/terms-of-use/

the question is can i use your script in one of my projects (yes i made some of them to give to my lucky customer :D).

if you give permission. i will credits you in game and put your approval inside the cds/dvds in credits/approval folder. (i will save the page)

thx in advance

Yup, you definitely may. I'm quite a fan of what you're doing there.

Hey Vlue, could you possibly add the feature to use letters beside the date? (for instance BC450 or... AD560)

Not just AD or BC either, because in my game time is judged from an event called the Fall, thus BTF or ATF. Or if the story takes place before the fall ABF or BBF (After or Before Breathill Founding). I'm sure people have their own measures of time in their own fantasy worlds as well! :)

Oh, and the ability to temporarily change the time to something else entirely and then switch back to the original would be great for things like flashback sequences.

EDIT: I'm having problems... for some reason, the entire left side of the screen is enveloped in a large purple box.

Edited by Niko Jose DelValle

no more taking control of the built in tint, this one uses it's own and comes with support for Khas's lighting effects script (since that's a big deal)

Nice job. I haven't started doing maps with lighting in my project yet, but I've been using your basic script and I definitely saw that as a potential problem in the future. Good thing to see you're one step ahead.

A few suggestions:

- For the tints, you may want to represent them in a more flexible format, so the user doesn't have to actually specify 12 different tints if they're only using like 3 or 4. Like instead of an array, use a hash indexed by the hour. Then you just have to blend from (whatever the tint is now) to (whatever the next tint is). You'll have to go through a little more trouble to figure out what the next index actually is, and deal with a few extra edge cases (i.e. when someone only provides one tint you don't need to blend into anything since it'll never change) but it'll make customizing the script a lot more convenient.

- Another thing you could do is provide different tint settings for different maps. You'd then use the default if nothing specific exists for a given map, or the specific map tint for that time, if it exists. This would also be a lot easier to do if you implemented the above (so you don't have to use 12 Color objects for every single map if you don't actually need that many). I'm eventually planning on adding this to my game in any case even if you don't provide it built into the script, but I figure you might want to have that feature for others to use as well.

Edited by Kaelan

Hey Vlue, could you possibly add the feature to use letters beside the date? (for instance BC450 or... AD560)

Not just AD or BC either, because in my game time is judged from an event called the Fall, thus BTF or ATF. Or if the story takes place before the fall ABF or BBF (After or Before Breathill Founding). I'm sure people have their own measures of time in their own fantasy worlds as well! :)

Oh, and the ability to temporarily change the time to something else entirely and then switch back to the original would be great for things like flashback sequences.

There we go, it has that ability now.

no more taking control of the built in tint, this one uses it's own and comes with support for Khas's lighting effects script (since that's a big deal)

Nice job. I haven't started doing maps with lighting in my project yet, but I've been using your basic script and I definitely saw that as a potential problem in the future. Good thing to see you're one step ahead.

A few suggestions:

- For the tints, you may want to represent them in a more flexible format, so the user doesn't have to actually specify 12 different tints if they're only using like 3 or 4. Like instead of an array, use a hash indexed by the hour. Then you just have to blend from (whatever the tint is now) to (whatever the next tint is). You'll have to go through a little more trouble to figure out what the next index actually is, and deal with a few extra edge cases (i.e. when someone only provides one tint you don't need to blend into anything since it'll never change) but it'll make customizing the script a lot more convenient.

- Another thing you could do is provide different tint settings for different maps. You'd then use the default if nothing specific exists for a given map, or the specific map tint for that time, if it exists. This would also be a lot easier to do if you implemented the above (so you don't have to use 12 Color objects for every single map if you don't actually need that many). I'm eventually planning on adding this to my game in any case even if you don't provide it built into the script, but I figure you might want to have that feature for others to use as well.

Definitely a good idea, thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for doing this. This is exactly what I've been searching for.

So, too bad, I'm new to VX Ace (was working with XP back in the day), and I guess my question will be the typical question of a newbie.

This system comes with a clock, yes? On the map, like it with the basic system you made, right?

So, if I don't see the clock ... I haven't installed the script right, non?

Anyways, you are amazing. Is there any way to donate to you (aside from "going the extra mile")?

It does come with a clock! If it isn't showing tho.. hmm.. Make sure USECLOCK is true, and try hitting the toggle button for the clock while on the map, if that's not it, maybe put this script below any others you have added. It should be there!

I'm glad to hear the praise and would always greatly appreciate any donations! Certainly makes me feel good to know my work is that good.

I've added information to that end under Author's Notes up in the main post here.

Like Battle Test from the database? Because It's (supposed to be) not possible for the tint to display during that. I can't reproduce it either.

lol, my luck.... >.<

Anyways, I'll just PM you the link to the Unencrypted file so you can check it out. Yes from the database btw, :)

Edited by Niko Jose DelValle

Awesome script, but I appear to have came across a bug. When I run it, no time passes without manually being added/set. I know it isn't an error from copy/pasting because I downloaded the script and copied it all, I also know it isn't khas awsome light effects because I removed it and nothing happened. This is with zero customization.

Is it possible to have a feature in this script where a piece of text is displayed next to the clock and changes based on the time? Like 5Am to 12Am is "morning", etc. And also any way that on certain days you can have a kind of popup? Like on 25 december it says "christmas" underneath the "morning/noon/evening" thing.

I was just wondering because I had the idea of having a fictional calander in my game, including different names for parts of the day and different holidays. Figured it would be good for worldbuilding!

Awesome script, but I appear to have came across a bug. When I run it, no time passes without manually being added/set. I know it isn't an error from copy/pasting because I downloaded the script and copied it all, I also know it isn't khas awsome light effects because I removed it and nothing happened. This is with zero customization.

With no customization, one minute in game is one real minute long! Which is a long wait... change TIMELAPSE to 1 and see what happens.

Is it possible to have a feature in this script where a piece of text is displayed next to the clock and changes based on the time? Like 5Am to 12Am is "morning", etc. And also any way that on certain days you can have a kind of popup? Like on 25 december it says "christmas" underneath the "morning/noon/evening" thing.

I was just wondering because I had the idea of having a fictional calander in my game, including different names for parts of the day and different holidays. Figured it would be good for worldbuilding!

Both good ideas! I'll look into it~

Can you put the time in a window and then put it in the menu?

Added to the list of features to add, just keep Paco away!

Edited by Vlue

Updated to 1.1.4 to include:

Clock in the Menu

Map Note tag (Notime) to stop time in certain maps

Ability to sync with PC (Current/Real) Time!

Awesome upadate I love it although is there a way I can put the menu clock in a window i dought its hard ans also i really don't think this is even worth worrying about but I think a nice little function to make the clock look so plain is where the 2 dots are that separate hours from minutes make it blink but thats just person idea because I like a little animation in my menus.

You can change CLOCK_BACK to change the transparency of the windows (The Menu clock is in a window, it's just that the default transparency settings for the windows are 0 so you don't see it) and if you actually want to keep the map clock window transparent and the menu one not then you can insert:

@clock.opacity = 255

into line 600 of the script.

Blinking clock dots? Yah, I can see how that would be a little something something. I'll look into it.

I noticed that when using KHAS, if you have a map not use tinting, the map will use the tint that was last used instead of the default tint. That causes problems with some maps like my world map and some indoor places. Also, using the tint screen button in the event editor wont fix it as it still uses the last tint used. Any suggestions or a way to fix it? Also, can you make a way to stop time or reverse time? It be useful when I use the world map as not every area is the same time, just like real life!