The Passive Lion

passive lion [RMVXA] Installing Victor's Animated Battles from Scratch! (For Beginners)

How to Install Victor's Animated Battles from Scratch!

A Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners by

The Passive Lion

orangeruby2.png pl-wordpress-reference-logo1.jpg gallery_2782_66_620.png

(Check out this awesome Video Tutorial that goes with this guide! Looking for Part 2 and 3? Keep scrolling down!)

Getting Started:

Make sure that you have all of the following scripts before you begin reading this tutorial. The scripts you need to get are:

STEP 1: Install the Scripts

Place the three scripts into your Script Editor underneath (â–¼ Materials) but above (â–¼ Main Process). Make sure that you have placed them in this order: Basic Module > Animated Battles > Actors Battlers

STEP 2: Edit the Scripts (Getting the Actors to Show Up)

Go into the Animated Battles script and scroll down to about line 307 or so. In this section, you should see an editable region that looks like this:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Default sprite settings
# This is the settings for all battler graphics that doesn't have
# their own custom setting
VE_DEFAULT_SPRITE = {
# Basic Settings
# name: value,
frames: 4, # Number of frames
rows: 14, # Number of rows
mirror: false, # Mirror battler when facing right
invert: false, # Invert the battler graphic
mode: :sprite, # Graphic style (:sprite or :chasert)
action: nil, # Action settings

Modify the line that says frames: 4 and change it to frames: 3

Now change the line that reads rows: 14 to rows: 4

Leave mirror: false the same

Leave invert: false the same

Change the line that reads :sprite to :charset

Change the line that reads action:nil to action: :charset

Once you are finished changing this section, the new code should look like this:

# * Default sprite settings
# This is the settings for all battler graphics that doesn't have
# their own custom setting
VE_DEFAULT_SPRITE = {
# Basic Settings
# name: value,
frames: 3, # Number of frames
rows: 4, # Number of rows
mirror: false, # Mirror battler when facing right
invert: false, # Invert the battler graphic
mode: :charset, # Graphic style (:sprite or :chasert)
action: :charset, # Action settings[/size][/size][/center]

[center]

STEP 3: Exporting/Importing your Actor (Getting the Actors to Show Up)

Now you're going to need to aquire your Actor sprite and place him into your game so that Victor's Animated Battles can find him. For the purpose of this quick guide we are using the basic Actor4 file that comes with RMVXA. The character we will be focusing on is Eric. So, with that said...open up your Resource Manager and look under the Characters section to find the file that reads Actor4.

Export the file out onto the desktop as Actor4.png (or whatever you wish to name it, but for this is what we'll call it for this tutorial).

Import the file back into the Resource Manager but this time into the Battlers section.

STEP 4: Add the Note Tag (Getting the Actors to Show Up)

Now its time to play with the neat enhancement that makes VE:AB so easy to use. Note tags. Open up your Database and go to the Actors tab. Under 001: Eric input this line of text into the Note box:

<battler name: Actor4>

This is telling Victor's Animated Battles to use the filename Actor4 as the battler sheet and to leave the regular walking sprite sheet alone. Now of course, we don't have any custom battler sprites for this tutorial and our battler sheet is our walking sheet so this step is only essential to allowing VE:AB to see our battler.

STEP 5: Weapon Note Tags (Getting the Actors to Attack)

Now we need to tell VE:AB what weapon our actor is using. He is currently equipped with the Hand Ax. So here is what we need to do. In your Database under the Weapons tab, look for the Hand Ax and then for its Note box. In that box, place this line of text:

<attack pose: attack, reset>

This lets the script know that whenever the Hand Ax is equipped, the specified animation for it will be "attack, reset". You can find a whole list of these already pre-generated animations/poses in the Animated Battles script starting around line 381. This is also how you can modify certain poses or create your own from scratch to customize actions in your battles. I can go in depth on that later if you like but there is already a pretty awesome written guide by

Lyson for that here.

STEP 6: Exporting and Importing Enemies (Animated and Simple)

Open up your Database and look under the Troops tab. For the sake of this tutorial I shall be using my favorite battler which is one of the easiest to install. The Man Eating Plant.

(OPTIONAL)

Eliminate two of the plants for easy placement of the last remaining plant in the troop set.

Open up your Resource Manager and look under the Charactersfolder for the filename Monster2. (VERY IMPORTANT) Export this file as the name Plant.png and then re-import this same file into the exact same Characters folder.

STEP 7: Enemies Note Tags (Getting the Enemies to Attack)

Open up your Database and look under the Enemies tab for the Man Eating Plant. In his Note box, place this line of text:

<battler name: Plant>

As you guessed it, this is telling VE:AB the exact same thing it told for the Actors.

Cosmetic Adjustments (Updates Here)

UPDATE 8/29/12:

Thanks to Arctic Fox for pointing this one out! In case you want your characters to remain on screen when they die, VE: AB is built to do that! All you have to do is modify the Database in order to get it to work. Here's how:

Open up your Database and click on the States tab. Look for the top right corner box labeled Features. Make sure you are modifying the Death state. There should already be something in that section. Keep it there. We want to add something below it. So, double click on a line below it. This will open up a little box. Click on the Other tab and then make sure to click on the Collapse Effect circle to activate it. Click on the drop down menu until you can select Not Disappear. Hit OK, APPLY, OK and you should be good to go!

Now whenever one of your actors dies they should just fall on their sides and remain in place until one of your party members revives them.

**Keep in mind that this will prevent ALL battlers from collapsing, INCLUDING ENEMIES. If you would rather have ONLY Actors remain and Enemies still Collapsethen make sure to follow these exact steps except through the Actors tab in the Database. (thanks to Victor Sant for pointing this one out)**

Keep in mind, if you want to edit the position of your Actors on the battlefield, look for those options under the Actors Battlers script.

Now you're ready to proceed to Part 3 if you want to make skills or check out Part 2 to see how to set up this same script with Holder's Animated Battlers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now It's Time for PART 2 (Installing the VE: AB Script with Holder's Animated Battlers):

This is under the assumption that you haven't installed the script with Character Sets because you'd rather learn how to install it with Holder's Animated Battlers! Not a problem. I've just recently done a tutorial video on doing so which you can check out here:

I would have embedded the video here but unfortunately I cannot have three videos embedded into a single post at a time. Sorry.

:(

You can still click on the link to view the video!

STEP 1: Download the Scripts

Make sure that you have all of the following scripts before you begin reading this tutorial. The scripts you need to get are:

STEP 2: Download Holder's Animated Battlers

Holder does not offer these on his WordPress, so make sure to grab this off of the post he's made in the RPG Maker Forums. You can find a link to that here:

STEP 3: Install the Scripts

Place the three scripts into your Script Editor underneath (â–¼ Materials) but above (â–¼ Main Process). Make sure that you have placed them in this order: Basic Module > Animated Battles > Actors Battlers

STEP 4: Import the Animated Battlers

Make sure that the files all have the [anim] suffix added to the end of their filenames. For example: Meliadul[anim].jpg

Open up the Resource Manager and import all of your battlers into the Battlers folder. Don't forget to set the transparency color by left clicking on the dark green area that you do not want showing up with your battler.

STEP 5: Modify the Script

Open up the Animated Battlers Script and scroll down to around Line 387, this is where you will want to enter in this line of text:

'Meliadul' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
action: :default},

Make sure to do the same for all of your actors battlers. The final product should look like this:

'Meliadul' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
'Mira' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
'Vannes' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
'Elicia' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,

STEP 6: Adjust the Note Tags

Open up the Database and click on the Actors tab. Click on Meliadul (or whichever actor you are using at the time) and pay special attention to the Note box in the bottom right hand corner. You will have to add this line of text in order for the actor to associate with the battler:

<battler name: Meliadul>

Now make sure to add similar note tags to all other actors you are using in the game.

STEP 7: Modify the Bow Note Tags and Download/Install Necessary Graphics

If you are using an animated battler like Vannes who utilizes a bow, you might notice that he doesn't properly attack with the bow in hand. In order to fix this, you'll need to go the bow he is using in the Database under the Weapons tab and enter in these Note Tags:

<advance pose: step forward>

<attack pose: bow>

<skill pose: bow>

In order for this to run properly, we'll need to download the arrow that Victor provides on his site. You can find it here:

Just right click the image and save it in an easy to find location. Then import it into the Resource Manager under the Pictures folder. Make sure it is named Arrow.png.

STEP 8: Import/Set up the Slime Battler

The reason why this is last is mostly due to the fact that not everyone wants to have an animated battler and would rather fight the pictures. At any rate, this step should be very simple. You are basically doing everything again one more time but for the Slime instead.

-Import the Slime[anim] into the Battler Folder

-Add in the <battler name: Slime> Note Tag under the Enemies Tab

-Create a new entry in Victor's Script to accommodate the new enemy:

'Slime' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: true, mode: :sprite,
action: :default},[/center]

[center]

Make sure you add in mirror: true for this one!

STEP 9: Test the Battle!

This one is pretty self-explanatory...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now It's Time for PART 3 (Creating Custom Skills for :Charsets or :Sprites):

I'm looking to get crazy PL! Advanced! I want to make skills like no one has ever seen before! Not a problem. I've just recently done a tutorial video on doing so which you can check out here:

STEP 1: Create the Skill

Start by opening up your Database and clicking on the Skills tab. Change the maximum and begin editing a new skill.

STEP 2: Create the Skill Code

Open up the Animated Battles Script and scroll down to around Line 795 if you are using :sprites or Line 1352 if you are using :charsets. You will now want to begin creating the skill. This works very much like creating an Event or Cut-Scene. Everything works in a step-by-step process that allows you to fully plan out the actions of your skill. It was explained to me by Lyson through his tutorial on creating skills which can be found here:

If this is still confusing, check out Victor's explanation of it in a step-by-step process:

If that still does not work, check out this portion of the video above and take a look at the demonstration I have provided for you guys below. If it is absolutely needed I can take a crack at explaining this in a different way. Let me know!

;)

SKILL USED FOR :Sprites

# Passive Lion Strike - Skill by Passive Lion
<action: passive lion strike, reset>
wait: animation;
pose: self, row 11, all frames, wait 3;
direction: targets;
wait: 15;
anim: id 96;
wait: 120;
pose: self, row 9, all frames, wait 3;
move: self, move to, x -0, y +30, speed 15;
wait: targets, movement;
pose: self, row attack, all frames, wait 4;
wait: 4;
anim: targets, weapon;
wait: 8;
pose: self, row attack, frame 4;
anim: targets, effect;
wait: 40;
effect: 100%;
move: retreat;
wait: 5;
</action>

SKILL USED FOR :Charsets

# Passive Lion Strike - Skill by Passive Lion
<action: passive lion strike, reset>
wait: animation;
pose: self, row 1, frame 2;
icon: weapon, angle 90, x -12, y +16;
anim: id 96;
wait: 120;
pose: self, row 2, all frames, wait 3;
move: self, move to, x -0, y +30, speed 15;
wait: targets, movement;
pose: self, row 2, all frames, wait 4;
wait: 4;
icon: weapon, angle -90, x +12, y -16;
icon: weapon, angle -45, x +6, y -16;
icon: weapon, angle 0, x -6;
anim: targets, weapon;
icon: weapon, angle 45, x -10, y +8;
wait: 8;
pose: self, row 2, frame 3;
anim: targets, effect;
wait: 40;
effect: 100%;
move: retreat;
wait: 5;
</action>

The main difference between these two is in the way that I animated the Icon or weapon. This option does not work as well for :Sprite users as Holder's Animated Battlers already come with weapons in their design.

STEP 3: Modify the Note Tags

Lets not forget about this important step! Go back to your skill in the Database and enter in this line of text into the Note box in the bottom right hand corner:

<action pose: passive lion strike>

Of course, replace the "passive lion strike" portion with the name you gave your skill during the last step after the <action: ...> command.

STEP 4: Customize the Actor

While this step may seem like common sense, you'd be surprised how many people might forget to "give the actor the new skill." You can do this by going into the Actors tab under the Database and by double clicking on a new line in the Features section. Then click on Skill > Add Skill > Then proceed to finding your skill through the Drop Down menu. Hit Ok and Apply and get ready for the best part!

STEP 5: Test your Game!

Need I say more?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this complete guide in three parts has been helpful to many of you. Feel free to post any related issues that you run in to along the way, but also don't forget to check out the User Manual to see if there isn't already a solution to it there.

Your friendly neighborhood,

Passive Lion

Dream. Develop. Deliver.

Edited by The Passive Lion

Thanks for the tutorial, how do you get it working for say a slime?

Your welcome!

Now to configure for a slime is a little trickier considering it isn't the first set of battler images on the Monster2 sheet. This could be my "Victor Scripts inexperience" talking but it feels like the Animated Battles script is built for single character/actor sprite sheets. So, say you wanted to use slimes in your game, you would open up the Monster2 sheet in a program like GIMP or PAINT and then edit it so that all the remains are the slimes in the top left corner (in place of the plant that was previously there). Then re-Import that back into your Characters folder under the name: Slime

That should do it. ;) Let me know if this helps and also if there is an easier way that I currently am not aware of!

Passive Lion

You should also do a "How to create custom actions via Victor's Battle system" :)

Edit: Passive, did you mention about what happens when your characters die in the game? They disappear unless you change it in the data base. VAB is preset with a death animation for RPGMVXA Stadard characters. They fall on there side.

Edited by Arctic Fox

You should also do a "How to create custom actions via Victor's Battle system" :)

Edit: Passive, did you mention about what happens when your characters die in the game? They disappear unless you change it in the data base. VAB is preset with a death animation for RPGMVXA Stadard characters. They fall on there side.

I would like to, perhaps a video tutorial on it. There is already a really good written tutorial for creating custom actions by Lyson. Its just that ever since the post was locked out it has been hard to find. I have a link to it in the main post up there. Step 5 I think.

BTW, thanks Arctic! I just finished updating the main post to include the whole death animation thing in it. ;)

Just one thing: ading the Trait "Collapse Effect: [Not Disappear]" on the death state will make all battlers not disappear, including enemies. If you want to make only actors not disappear, add this trait to the actor Trait list instead of on the state.

I modified the original post to reflect this. Thanks for the heads up! ;)

i want to share some of my experience using the system.

the strange thing is... for the actor i DON'T need ANY images in battler folder if i use charset mode. it will take the charset i assigned in editor instead. but the charset MUST not single charset (using $).

it must default charset size (with all 8 charas inside it). if you want custom chara just use the any charset (ex:actor4.png) delete all chara, add all yours, it's ok if there's blank chara if you only have 6 chars for example, save as original_actor.png or whatever. and in the setting use this:

'default_actor' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,

mode: :charset, action: :charset},

i just need to tag every actor i have <battler name: default_actor>

and it work like charm.

for the enemy though i use this:

'default_enemy' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,

but it still need images.

1) cutted single frame as enemy.png to use at editor

2) full charset in Defaultcharset size(so your enemy will be at top left of the charset sheet and other spot will be left blank) as enemy[anim].png.

that way in my battler folder i only have the enemy sprite. not mixed with my actor sprite. but of course it only work for charset mode. if you use other mode just ignore this :D

hope this helps everyone using this great battle system.

edit:

@The Passive Lion: i hope you will make more guide like this in future. victor battle system is sooo great but some newbie have difficulty in using them. so thread like this will surely help them. how about custom action library thread next. where we can share our custom action made using this system(of course the one shareable not one you don't want to share :D). if this thread for newbie. that thread would be for more advanced user. no such topic have created before i guess. just an idea that cross my mind.

Edited by estriole

Hello! I'm trying to set up the weapons, but I'm not very sure of how I'm supposed to do it. For starters, I'm just starting with this script, and am trying to achieve the most basic setup before I try any customization. The problems I'm currently running into are: Guns, bows, (and to a lesser extent) claws.

First of all, I set the tags "<advance pose: step forward><attack pose: gun><skill pose: gun>" in my Gun's notebox, and everything works properly, except one thing. When I attack, the gun comes out, but is facing the wrong direction. It's as if the rotation is backwards.

WrongFacingGun.png

If you can see, that's the way the gun is aiming when it's fired.

Secondly, bows. I downloaded the Bow template from Victor's website, but is that the only bow I can use? How do I change what graphic is displayed? I have one set in the icons, but when I attack using a bow, it continues to show the same default wood bow. Is there no way to change it? How am I supposed to make it my own graphic?

And third of all, which I think is the same as the gun, is the claw. I can ignore it, but it still isn't right. The rotation for it is slightly incorrect. So how should I fix these problems that I'm having? I'm not sure where to find those type of settings without help. Thanks.

Hello! I'm trying to set up the weapons, but I'm not very sure of how I'm supposed to do it. For starters, I'm just starting with this script, and am trying to achieve the most basic setup before I try any customization. The problems I'm currently running into are: Guns, bows, (and to a lesser extent) claws.

First of all, I set the tags "<advance pose: step forward><attack pose: gun><skill pose: gun>" in my Gun's notebox, and everything works properly, except one thing. When I attack, the gun comes out, but is facing the wrong direction. It's as if the rotation is backwards.

WrongFacingGun.png

If you can see, that's the way the gun is aiming when it's fired.

Secondly, bows. I downloaded the Bow template from Victor's website, but is that the only bow I can use? How do I change what graphic is displayed? I have one set in the icons, but when I attack using a bow, it continues to show the same default wood bow. Is there no way to change it? How am I supposed to make it my own graphic?

And third of all, which I think is the same as the gun, is the claw. I can ignore it, but it still isn't right. The rotation for it is slightly incorrect. So how should I fix these problems that I'm having? I'm not sure where to find those type of settings without help. Thanks.

Ok, to solve your gun issue:

Check to make sure that your gun icon is set up properly. To be honest, the gun can be facing any direction in the icon box but in order to get it to appear correctly in game, you would have to go into the guns actions commands and modify its position yourself. To find these, go into Victors Animated Battles Script and press Ctrl+F then type in Gun and hit Enter. You see the parameters for the icon? This is sort of hit and miss (and least for me anyways) when it comes to messing with the numbers to get the gun to look just right as it animates. Keep a copy of the original presets and mess with these gently. However, if this doesn't sound too convincing, you can always open up an image editing program and modify your icon sheet so that the gun you are using is rotated in the direction best suited for the scripts icon animation presets.

Now on to your bow troubles:

So the reason why nothing is changing when you modify the icon is this: the script isn't using the icon. It is using the image that you downloaded from Victor's Site and imported into the Resource Manager. You'll have to import a new image (the one you want to use) and name it the same thing as the previous bow in order to change the way it looks. Or, if you want to keep the original bow and then add a new one, just import another bow with a new name and then tell the script to use that bow instead of Victor's. Simple enough. Let me know if my explanation was a bit too confusing.

And finally, the claw:

You are correct. Solve this the same way you would solve the gun.

Hope this answered your questions. Very sorry it took so long to reply and I wish I had the time to include pics with these instructions. However, be on the look out for part 2 of this tutorial where I'll further explain some of the things you had issues with. Happy developing!

Passive Lion

Thanks, Passive. I did forget to edit my post to tell you I resolved the gun issue (I made a new project where everything was default, and added VE's battle system to that one, and saw the gun was facing in the right direction). Then I figured it was my icon set in my original game that was the problem, so I swapped all the guns around. I didn't think about the claws though, so I'll have to swap that one too! And thanks for the Bow part. I might come up with a solution to that (copy the original bow image from Victors, and edit an icon to make it look similar, then make a new pose calling for that bow image's name). I guess that'll work.

I do have one more question, if you would care to answer. I asked Victor on his site, but I didn't *quite* understand his answer, and I didn't want to keep asking (seeing as I had already asked a few things). It's about the enemies. I was trying to get them to use weapons (a gun in particular), so I added " <weapon 1, icon #> " to the enemy's notebox, and the weapon appeared on him; except he continued to attack normally (default melee attack even while holding a *gun* in his hand). Victor told me that that only makes him hold a weapon, but doesn't change his attacks (which I understood). But I still am not too sure on how to change his default attack to the weapon he's using.

None of the note tags worked for enemies (like <action pose: action> and stuff). The only answer I found for myself was making an entirely new skill called Gun Attack, changing the animation to that of a gun, changing the note tags for the skill to " <advance pose: step forward>, <attack pose: gun>, <skill pose: gun> " and then making the enemy use Gun Attack instead of Attack. However, there were still a few problems with this...it didn't really work properly. Either the enemy's animations were a little off (not a legit gun attack), or he would fire the gun, and the default melee attack would hit the target. So how would I make an enemy use a weapon in legit fashion?

I just want to tell everyone that this tutorial only tells you the very basics.

It doesn't tell you the other features of the battle system like how to use battlers other than charsets (like kaduki) or custom animations for skills (like causing the characters charge at the target or perform a skydive, etc.).

(I think) I figured out how to make them attack properly: you have to create a separate skill for enemies. As in, make a skill called Spear Attack, change it's animation to that of a spear, and set it's attack formula to that of a normal attack (e.g. a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2 ) or whatever you want it's formula to be. Then, in the spear's note box settings, add <action pose: spear>. After that, just put Spear Attack into your enemy's actions instead of Attack. To make it easier, just copy 'Attack' skill and edit it accordingly if you want.

(I think) I figured out how to make them attack properly: you have to create a separate skill for enemies. As in, make a skill called Spear Attack, change it's animation to that of a spear, and set it's attack formula to that of a normal attack (e.g. a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2 ) or whatever you want it's formula to be. Then, in the spear's note box settings, add <action pose: spear>. After that, just put Spear Attack into your enemy's actions instead of Attack. To make it easier, just copy 'Attack' skill and edit it accordingly if you want.

Ashern,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but must applaud you for finding what looks like a plausible solution. I have not had the chance to test this out yet (or even had the idea cross my mind of enemies using weapons) and so I must say that I am excited to implement this technique.

@Richard De Goede

Yes this tutorial is very basic, however, I am currently uploading to YouTube a new tutorial (part 3) which demonstrates a way to get started on making skills. I'll also update this page when the time is right.

Thank you all for making such a great community out of this!

Passive Lion

EDIT: Part 2 and Part 3 have just been added to the first post. Unfortunately Part 2's video will have to be a link as I can't have three videos embedded in to the same post at a time. :( Hope you guys like the updates!

Edited by The Passive Lion

Hello,

I'm guessing the majority of users switch the enemy images to charsets? I actually wanted to keep them as sprites/images. I'll only switch to charsets later after I sit down and pixel all the monsters.

Okay, getting back to why I'm posting here today (and I'm not entirely sure if I'm even posting in the right place so I apologize if I did indeed post in the wrong place).

So whenever my Actor kills an enemy it kind of... falls over and then disappears. Now, while it is quite amusing to see a Giant Snake fall vertically through the floor that isn't what I want him to do. I'd much rather he just stayed in place and died like a normal snake (he's the only one I've put into the script to use so far). I'm not a scripter but I did try deleting and changing things to see if it'd get Mr. Snake to stop falling over. Unfortunately, after all my tinkering, I am still clueless as to why he won't just die and stay right side up.

I'll keep playing around with it to see if I can figure the thing out, but if you know the solution I'd be very grateful. Mr. Snake has fallen over more times than I can count so he probably feels rather ill now vuv;

Thank you for your time.

-suteneko

Edited by suteneko

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're asking, hmm... When the snake dies, do you want it to fall vertically through the ground, fall to the side and disappear, or fall to the side and not disappear?

(EDIT) Ohh, I read it a few more times thoroughly; you want the enemy to just die while it's standing still? You don't want it to fall any direction, just die and disappear while standing up?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're asking, hmm... When the snake dies, do you want it to fall vertically through the ground, fall to the side and disappear, or fall to the side and not disappear?

(EDIT) Ohh, I read it a few more times thoroughly; you want the enemy to just die while it's standing still? You don't want it to fall any direction, just die and disappear while standing up?

(EDIT once again) Alright, I think I know your problem. I believe if the enemy is tagged as a Sprite, it will automatically die normally. Your issue must be with the battler settings...

Open up the Animated Battle script, and go to line 313:

VE_DEFAULT_SPRITE = {
 # Basic Settings
 # name:   value,
   frames: 3,        # Number of frames
   rows:   4,       # Number of rows
   mirror: false,    # Mirror battler when facing right
   invert: false,    # Invert the battler graphic
   mode:   :charset,  # Graphic style (:sprite or :charset)
   action: :charset,      # Action settings

I'm not sure if you have all of this configured or not, but it's the default settings for battlers with no specific settings. I have my enemies and actors both set to Charset, so I don't really need to specify settings for them. The default settings that I made are enough. However, if you're using charset actors and sprite enemies, you need to go down to line 360.

VE_SPRITE_SETTINGS = {
 # 'Filename' => {settings},
 #
 # 'Sample 1' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: true, mode: :sprite,
 #                action: nil},
 # 'Sample 2' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
 #                mode: :charset, action: :charset},
 # 'Sample 3' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
 #                mode: :charset, action: :kaduki},
   'MrSnake'  => {frames: 1, rows: 1, mirror: false, invert: false,
                     mode: :sprite, action: :sprite},
   'Warrior_m' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
   'Actor1'    => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
   '$Actor4'   => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
                   mode: :charset, action: :kaduki},
   '$Slime'    => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
   '$Imp'      => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
   'Wizard_f'  => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
   'Hero_m'    => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
   'Thief_m'   => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
 } # Don't remove

This section is where you setup specific settings for specific battlers. Now, since Mr Snake is a sprite, and I'm assuming, your other default battlers are charsets, you need to create a new entry in these settings for Mr Snake.

I already added the settings under Sample 3. MrSnake is the name of the image used for the battler (not the name of the battler in the database, but the image used). Frames and Rows need to be set to 1, because the RTP sprites only have 1 frame and row. After that, change :mode to :mode :sprite, and then change :action to :action :sprite.

Since I already set it up, all you need to do is copy that MrSnake entry over to your project; but I could recommend typing it up yourself by editing one of the entries already there. That way you can learn, and it's really not that hard.

After that, the sprite should die correctly. It wouldn't let me use the full editor for some reason, so I couldn't change a few things I would have otherwise.

Edited by Ashern

Open up the Animated Battle script, and go to line 313:

VE_DEFAULT_SPRITE = {
 # Basic Settings
 # name:   value,
frames: 3,		# Number of frames
rows:   4,	   # Number of rows
mirror: false,	# Mirror battler when facing right
invert: false,	# Invert the battler graphic
mode:   :charset,  # Graphic style (:sprite or :charset)
action: :charset,	  # Action settings

I'm not sure if you have all of this configured or not, but it's the default settings for battlers with no specific settings. I have my enemies and actors both set to Charset, so I don't really need to specify settings for them. The default settings that I made are enough. However, if you're using charset actors and sprite enemies, you need to go down to line 360.

VE_SPRITE_SETTINGS = {
 # 'Filename' => {settings},
 #
 # 'Sample 1' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: true, mode: :sprite,
 #				action: nil},
 # 'Sample 2' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
 #				mode: :charset, action: :charset},
 # 'Sample 3' => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
 #				mode: :charset, action: :kaduki},
'MrSnake'  => {frames: 1, rows: 1, mirror: false, invert: false,
				  mode: :sprite, action: :sprite},
'Warrior_m' => {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
'Actor1'	=> {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
'$Actor4'   => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
'$Slime'	=> {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
'$Imp'	  => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
'Wizard_f'  => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: false, invert: false,
'Hero_m'	=> {frames: 4, rows: 14, mirror: false, mode: :sprite,
'Thief_m'   => {frames: 3, rows: 4, mirror: true, invert: false,
 } # Don't remove

This section is where you setup specific settings for specific battlers. Now, since Mr Snake is a sprite, and I'm assuming, your other default battlers are charsets, you need to create a new entry in these settings for Mr Snake.

I already added the settings under Sample 3. MrSnake is the name of the image used for the battler (not the name of the battler in the database, but the image used). Frames and Rows need to be set to 1, because the RTP sprites only have 1 frame and row. After that, change :mode to :mode :sprite, and then change :action to :action :sprite.

Since I already set it up, all you need to do is copy that MrSnake entry over to your project; but I could recommend typing it up yourself by editing one of the entries already there. That way you can learn, and it's really not that hard.

After that, the sprite should die correctly. It wouldn't let me use the full editor for some reason, so I couldn't change a few things I would have otherwise.

Ooh, I got it *7* I had "action" set as "nil" because that was the setting for another sample(?) monster that was on the list. The Scorpion was set as "mode: :sprite" and "action: nil" so I just had to change "nil" to "sprite"! Silly me vuv I thought it was much more difficult and was looking in all these strange places using the search function.

Thank you very much, Ashern. Mr. Snake (which I was just calling him as a nickname, haha) is not tripping over his coils any longer o3o/

Okay, I ran into another problem. I hope it's alright if I post it here again.

I'm not really sure where the problem is coming from but I'm getting an error from line 4291

Script 'VE | Animated Battle' line 4291: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method '/' for nil:NilClass

That's the error I got. Further testing concluded that the error only pops up when paired with Victor's Damage Popup script. I'd like to keep the Damage Popup script but I don't know how to fix the error.

Could you post the section of the code? Since lines can't be distinguished because they get pushed down depending on how many custom settings you've added to the script. For instance, my Line 4291 is:

character_exist?(name) ? name : @battler_name

So I can't tell where exactly your problem is. I have Animated battlers + Victor's Damage Popup but I haven't had any errors. But just looking at your error message, it would seem to indicate that you added a / (slash) somewhere that it shouldn't be; and that the script is trying to read a / while the script doesn't support any /'s in that particular section. I'm no scripter and I don't know error messages like that, but it's just what I gathered from looking at the "undefined method '/' for nil:NilClass"

Oh, this is really strange. For some reason it stopped giving me the error o: I took a break from messing with the battle system to work on one of the maps and then went back to test the battle system just now since I saw that you replied. The error isn't popping up now and I did absolutely nothing vuv

Well, I'll leave it be for now. If the error pops up again I'll post here, again. Thank you so much for the quick replies ;7; I really appreciate it.

Hey guys I recently stumbled upon this script having looked at it before, I turned away... Now I came back after completing my first game and decided to give this script a try, and I understand it! I have a question though on how to use Kaduki sprites. I have not heard of Kaduki before nor how it is set up, please explain it to me I don't get how it works D:.