Lune Message System

Introduction

This script will change the message system to a more compact one, which will show the characters

that are talking and other features.

Features

- cursor indicating the talker

- automatic box height

- automatic box lengh

- toggles between old and new message system

- can show or not faces

- clean visual

Screenshots

Ne9IJ.png

775Sz.png

E8pnK.png

How to Use

Put it above main and use the Call Script to configure the message system

Cursor I used on the script, you can use it as well

arrow.png

Script

http://pastebin.com/YAZUHmER

FAQ

Credit and Thanks

- Raizen

Thanks to Besus to help pointing bugs.

Edited by Raizen884

This looks very nice, Luna! One question, how would I call the script? Simply use the event "Script: Luna_Messages.call"?

# Call Script:Lune_Message.config(p, id)

# Being p the position of the message box.

# 1 = above the character

# 0 = below the character

# 2 = old message system

Where p is the position and id is the id of the event that is talking, after Script Call: Lune_Message.config(p, id)

After that just use the normal message system that the script will do the rest of the work, read the script commentaries, it explains step by step how to use the script, its quite simple :)

The script call just works to configure the ID and position of the windowbox, the rest is done by events.

I apologize if I asked a redundant question. When I am getting ready to use a script and I paste it into RM, I read the comments. I'm actually at work right now killing time, so I am not currently using the script, so I didn't read the comments.

My bad :)

But again, this looks GREAT! I feel this will really break up the monotony and even help clarify when you're "overhearing" a convo between 3+ citizens who may not have facesets, or their facesets are all the same in some disgusting cultish way lol

I love the simplicity and overall effect of this script! I have found though that a 1-frame Wait when switching back to the default message system isn't long enough. If I used anything below 7 frames, the cursor arrow would get frozen on the screen, moving everywhere the screen does.

And another note to others implementing this: The message windows in battles will be stuck to the value last specified unless you switch it back to the default system before entering a battle. :-)

@Wesker: Thanks ^^

@Besus: Thanks a lot for the issues, I really didn't quite test it enough ;/, you can use 1 frame, the 1 frame thing it is because the default message system to be faster, it doesn't reconfigure the positions and other things, any command between 2 messages make it reconfigure everything, so yeah it was my fault.

Thanks a lot I corrected the battle windows and the cursor, hope there is no more bugs xD

Eek, fix one thing and create another; the life of a scripter. :-\

Anyway, even on a fresh project, getting the following error upon launching the game now:

Script 'Lune Message System' line 200; SyntaxError occurred.

target of repeat operator is not specified: /center]

#===========================================

Specifically, the following line in the script:

self.y = @position * (Graphics.height - height) / 2

I thought that looked a little un-RGSS-esque. :-)

Works perfectly now. Big thanks Raizen. :-D

Thanks Besus you helped me fix the issues, I'll put your name on the thanks ^^

@MsElemental: Try copying the code and pasting again, judging from the error and the line you said, very likely ou missed to copy the first line, or copied it incompletely.

No problem at all Raizen!

Though I did find one other issue, and this may be in part to how it is designed to work, but if there is no script call event (and just a show message) on the character you first speak to, it will crash out with the following error:

Script 'Lune Message System' line 227: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'screen_x' for nil:NilClass

Forcing you to have to use a script call before any text or this happens. If I place a script call for the default message system, all works well.

No worries if this was intended, but if this wasn't your intent, just wanted to point it out.

There is a couple of characters not meant to be there (there was a forum formatting issue earlier that is likely the cause).

Delete from that line:

/>

Thanks, I used the script a long while back before that computer died and I was stuck on a buggy old computer that -refused- to update -anything- and I couldn't get to xp and beyond. ..Finally back on a new computer and able to work again, and I had wondered why this script wasnt working right anymore

Edited by Lucidia Spectralis

@Besus, yeah I thought about calling the Module's method so that error doesn't appear, but but the player will need to use anyway the call script, its a good way to force him to know how to use the script xD, thanks for the advise.

People, I have no idea what happened to the code o.o, it was all okay and suddenly it appeared strange codes in the script .-., well I corrected it again, if anything else happens, just post here that I'll try to fix it :D, thanks for saying the error that was going on.

Hey Raizen my text seems to be outside the box slightly anyway to fix that? Example two lines of text and second line spaced too much.

Modify this line of the script :)

# The windows size is configured automatically, being that you
# will need to choose the length of the font to ajust better to the
# message box. (In pixels)

Espacamento = 11

Put 12 or more, it should work x)

This is perfect! I have been looking for something like this for the longest time now! I will definitely be using this in my current project!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I keep getting this error when I activate the Event with the script call:

"Script 'Game_Interpreter' line 1411: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `Call' for #<Game_Interpreter:0xbcedc94>"

the script call I use is "Call Script:Lune_Message.config(1, 2)"

I have a valid Event 2.

And another question: Is it possible to create name boxes? Or is it compatible with Yanfly's Ace Message System?

Call script ... I put it just to say what goes in Script Call xD, so just.

"Lune_Message.config(1, 2)"

sorry for the confusion >_<.

And most likely it is not compatible, since both work with the same class, Message, well maybe I can put the name_boxes config, I'll see if its easy to implement.

Anything else feel free to ask.

This is really awesome, Raizen~! If you can make a compatibility patch for YEA Message system, I think I will die of happiness. If not, its an adorable script within itself. Thank you for sharing!  :)

Edited by Allusion