Khas

Arc Engine - Realistic platform system

That's actually a really great idea! I didn't even think about doing something like that!

I'm planning on very carefully reading though the whole script over the next few days to see if I can gather any more information about how it all works, and maybe find a way to make the engine a little better.

Alright anything you figure out let me know, I will be doing the same.

So upon much experimentation, I have found that when the player, and (and possibly events) are placed into Arc enabled maps, the events are simply draw at the starting point, and then anything after that, the actually character doesn't move, but rather just an image that has limited capabilities is what you control across the map, while the actual hero event stays behind, thus, events touching hero and activating is not possible, storing hero coordinates in variables is not possible, et cetera.

I've been wracking my brain testing the X/Y variables and getting nothing, thanks for this!

There must be some x/y variables that the engine is using to calculate collision that we could use in a script call to replace the standard x/y map variables which, as you stated, are super unhelpful with this script. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to scripting so its hard to look in here and determine exactly what's happening.

If we could have an event running and looking at our character/image location x/y and pulling that into variables, they could theoretically be used in the same way the standard map variables could?

I believe I have found where you can pull the characters X and Y positions through a script call. I found it right before I had to leave for work, so sadly I didn't get to look into it to see what could be done with it. But I will either edit this post, or post again when I have found out what it does, and what can be done with it. Hopefully this way, with a somewhat long algorithm or conditional branches and variables we can get something more along the lines of enemies working better. Maybe. Lol!

Also, I have been trying to contact Khas on Twitter, and he was replying pretty steadily for a while, but as soon as I asked if it was possibly to make event touch events, he hasn't been online since. Lol! I scared him away! Haha!

Good news everyone!

Turns out Khas was just really busy for a while, and he didn't have time to get on Twitter. But we have been working back and forth for a bit now, working on a fix for the script, and I think we've got it working. So Khas should be posting an update to the script soon, and it will contain... Wait for it....... EVENT TOUCH FUNCTIONALITY!! I've been asked to not post the fixes in the script, but he said that once it is working with no bugs he'll post an update. So sit tight, and soon you should all have the option for event touch npcs.

Another bit of good news

Upon talking with Khas, I found out how to make semi-passable tiles. Was anyone else wondering how to make the semi-passable tiles? I know I was. And I couldn't figure it out!

Semi-passable tiles are the tiles that you can walk over and not fall through, but you can also jump up through them (if you remember from the demo maps Khas included with the script.)

So how do you make semi-passable tiles?

Middle click on your mouse in the pixel editor and you'll get a green square instead of a red square, and that tile will be semi-passable.

Good news everyone!

Turns out Khas was just really busy for a while, and he didn't have time to get on Twitter. But we have been working back and forth for a bit now, working on a fix for the script, and I think we've got it working. So Khas should be posting an update to the script soon, and it will contain... Wait for it....... EVENT TOUCH FUNCTIONALITY!! I've been asked to not post the fixes in the script, but he said that once it is working with no bugs he'll post an update. So sit tight, and soon you should all have the option for event touch npcs.

Another bit of good news

Upon talking with Khas, I found out how to make semi-passable tiles. Was anyone else wondering how to make the semi-passable tiles? I know I was. And I couldn't figure it out!

Semi-passable tiles are the tiles that you can walk over and not fall through, but you can also jump up through them (if you remember from the demo maps Khas included with the script.)

So how do you make semi-passable tiles?

Middle click on your mouse in the pixel editor and you'll get a green square instead of a red square, and that tile will be semi-passable.

just one thing... how do i middle click with a laptop?

I have heard that some newer laptops simulate a middle click if you click both the left and right buttons at the same time. But I have an older laptop so I have not been able to test that to see if it works. But if it's really that important to you, you can pick up a mouse at walmart for really cheap. Like, $5 or $10.

Be careful not to double post within 72 hours, it's against the forum rules. (I'm not a moderator, but just thought I'd let you know.)

This is true, the Arc Engine has been updated and event touch is now supported!!! (Get the updated script HERE. It's the first script under the 'English' section.)

Now that event touch is working, the possibilities have expanded on how much you can do with the script. It's now possible to make moving enemies that can hurt you! This will greatly add to game difficulty and ingenuity. But how can you make it so that enemies can hurt you, but you can also hurt them? Well, if you want to save some time, here are some instructions on how to setup monsters like in Super Mario. (Side touches hurt you, jumping on enemies heads kills them.)

First, you'll need a conditional branch to determine if the played is above, or to the sides of an NPC. On the 4th page of the conditional branches, select 'Script' and paste this line of code 

($game_player.ay + 10) < self_event.ay

$game_player, tells the game that it is the player that is being effected by this script call.

.ay + 10, is grabbing the y (vertical) coordinates of the player, and adding 10 to it (10 is the number you'll want to change based on how big the npc is.)

< self_event.ay, is the determining factor to see if the players y coordinates are less than the events y coordinates.

Now, once you got that all set up, the IF handler will be when the player jumps on the enemies head. And the ELSE handler is if the npc gets touched on the sides.

NOTE: this set up is based on one of my npc's settings. The height is 20 and the width is 20. Based on how you change the height and width, you'll need to adjust the conditional script call accordingly. (The player.ay + 10)

Good luck everyone and have fun! If you come up with some fun, cleaver ways to set up enemy npc's, please share here! We can all benefit from input! :D

Edited by KevinFrost

Be careful not to double post within 72 hours, it's against the forum rules. (I'm not a moderator, but just thought I'd let you know.)

This is true, the Arc Engine has been updated and event touch is now supported!!! (Get the updated script HERE. It's the first script under the 'English' section.)

Now that event touch is working, the possibilities have expanded on how much you can do with the script. It's now possible to make moving enemies that can hurt you! This will greatly add to game difficulty and ingenuity. But how can you make it so that enemies can hurt you, but you can also hurt them? Well, if you want to save some time, here are some instructions on how to setup monsters like in Super Mario. (Side touches hurt you, jumping on enemies heads kills them.)

First, you'll need a conditional branch to determine if the played is above, or to the sides of an NPC. On the 4th page of the conditional branches, select 'Script'. In the blank section that is no longer grayed out, past this line of code 

($game_player.ay + 10) < self_event.ay

$game_player, tells the game that it is the player that is being effected by this script call.

.ay + 10, is grabbing the y (vertical) coordinates of the player, and adding 10 to it (10 is the number you'll want to change based on how big the npc is.)

< self_event.ay, is the determining factor to see if the players y coordinates are less than the events y coordinates.

Now, once you got that all set up, the IF handler will be when the player jumps on the enemies head. And the ELSE handler is if the npc gets touched on the sides.

NOTE: this set up is based on one of my npc's settings. The height is 20 and the width is 20. Based on how you change the height and width, you'll need to adjust the conditional script call accordingly. (The player.ay + 10)

Good luck everyone and have fun! If you come up with some fun, cleaver ways to set up enemy npc's, please share here! We can all benefit from input! :D

Awesome thanks, that works like a charm

I've tweeted Khas to get confirmation whether or not he really abandoned RM or is on hiatus. When/if he'll tweet me back, I'll post it here. Because current situation is full of third-party information and many "maybes". I want to get some solid info.

I've tweeted Khas to get confirmation whether or not he really abandoned RM or is on hiatus. When/if he'll tweet me back, I'll post it here. Because current situation is full of third-party information and many "maybes". I want to get some solid info.

I'm pretty sure I said that it is confirmed that Khas no longer supports his scripts. Him and I have spoken quite a bit on Twitter, and he is working on building his own game making engine. But he has told me that if I come to him with a request from this community that he might be able to help. (As you may have noticed with the event touch, we worked out some bugs and got it working.)

So no need to bug him any more. He gets on Twitter maybe once every other week or so.

But yes, he no longer works with RPG Maker. It's not a maybe.

Why I cant download it? somehow the link go to empty domain whatsoever.. 

hey Khas, do you had change the link? if so, please update.. i really want to try your scripts :3 its freaking awesome...

Khas no longer supports his scripts on this site. I posted a link to the script on the previous page, but HERE IT IS so you don't have to go looking for it. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help! :) (I'm kinda like Khas's representative here on this post. Lol!)

i just new here and i really love this script. u know like mario game or something  :)

but i only have 1 question, how to make that character respawn back in checkpoint or start over again instead go back to tittle screen?, it may took some time...
please i need u guys help.... sorry for my bad english anyway

After Khas added the functionality and we got it working right, I posted a brief tutorial on how to make enemies do damage to the player, but at the same time be able to kill the enemies by jumping on them (See page 3 of this post)

As far as making spawn points for the player, just make an event that the player can touch that will memorize their X and Y coordinates, and then have them respawn there when they die/enter the map. I've done it on a project of mine I'm working on, I'll post a more detailed explanation later when I'm at home and have the project in font of me. (I'm at work right now.)

Edited by KevinFrost

Hey, sorry it took me so long to post back. Work has been ridiculous... I'll get a step by step tutorial together and post it as soon as it's ready.

EDIT: Okay, I have uploaded a tutorial video to my YouTube channel that you can check out for instructions on how to set up a level waypoint system. It's in the section PRGvxa Tutorials.

Edited by KevinFrost

Apologies for the bump, but I have a question about this. I designed a rather large level, and when I open it up in the physics editor every single tile is red=impassable. Is there a way to set them all to passable and manually change the ground tiles to impassible? I spent like an hour changing every single passable tile, and then played the level. What do you know, I forgot a couple tiles and had to go back into the physics editor. Guess what, every tile is red again. What is this? Is there a way to set a certain in-game tile to impassible and make non-tiles passable? This would save many hours of tedious changing of tiles.

Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm new to this engine and don't really know how else to put it.

@FTG64 There is a simple way to do this. Simply go into your database, and go to the chipset that you are using on the map and make sure that the tiles you're using on the map are passable. When you open up the in-game editor again to set custom passable tiles then they're all be clear, and you can make whatever you'd like impassable to be impassable. (Hope that makes sense) If not, I am going to be making tutorial videos and uploading them to YouTube. You can follow me there (I'll edit this post with a link to the first video when it's up) and hopefully any questions you have about the engine will be explained.

@zte791 I am going to be messaging Khas about the link. I know he gave RPG Maker up to work on his own custom engine, so I'll see if I can upload the engine to my dropbox and provide a download link to the public. I'll get back to you on that asap.

THIS is the reason why I chose RPG Maker VX Ace as the development tool for my partformer game. This is such a good system, you do not know how easy it has been for me to work with this! I have done many things with this that I have never been able to do before, thank you.

But, I do have my suggestions which would make things a lot easier for me and many other people, if you are willing to take them.

Direct connection to the RPG health and level up system in the base engine: Stomp a Goomba, gain 2 EXP. Gain 13 more EXP to level up and slightly boost your stats. Equip armor and weapons to boost your stats as well, and gain a hammer to smash enemies into pieces!

Sonic the Hedgehog style slope tilting engine: Run up a hill, your sprite tilts up. Run down a hill, your sprite tilts down. Your speed does down or up depending on how steep the slope is, and if you're running up it or down it. If you gain enough speed, you can even run up walls if they are connected to a slope.

Partner Follow System: When a person joins your party (Again, a part of the RPG system mentioned above.) They follow you around and attack enemies for you, sort of like a more intelligent Tails from Sonic 2. They avoid hazards, jump towards enemies while aiming to damage them, attack with weapons, collect items they are set to collect, and even heal other party members if they have a healing spell and enough MP left.

Easy Enemy Creation System: Creating enemies was the hardest part for me, and sometimes it even frustrated me when I tried to create one with intelligent AI. With this, you could be able to set it's stats, set it's movements, it's EXP it gives you when you kill it, the items it drops when it dies, the sprites it spawns when it dies, the animations it plays when it dies, and how it attacks and moves.

Boss Detection System: This one is a lot more basic. Basically, when you encounter an enemy with a boss flag attached to it, custom code runs which can lock the screen in set boundaries, play a different song, and more. Also, different code can be run after the boss dies, like ending the level or teleporting the player and his/her partners.

And... this is basically all I have. If you can include ANY of these things, you would make me a very happy elf. This engine has already helped me so much, and I thank you for it.

Starting to work with this after i saw kevins video on youtube. Cat game looks fun by the way :) Thanks for all the info Mr. Frost

Tried it with falcao pearl abs, the weapons all get stuck in the up position. might try the saphire engine next. possibly xas as well.

@Elfman: Those are all some amazing ideas to add into this script! But sadly, there are a few variables that are keeping that from happening. First off, the creator has left the RPG Maker VX Ace engine, and this website. He is developing his own engine to make games on. So he will no longer be adding things to the engine :( Second, the way this script works, most of those things would be impossible to add without a complete script rewrite. Sadly, I don't think we'll be seeing anything like this, with features like that added unless another developer takes the time to make a whole new script. Which, with that being said I LOVE it if that happened!! :D I'm just not sure if anyone will take the time to actually do that.

@LaMulana: I'm so glad that you found those videos helpful :) If you need help explaining anything else with the system (or RPG Maker in general) I'm more than willing to help where I can :) 

Also, glad you like the look of the Nyan Cat game. I kind of hit a block with that one, due to a lack of time. But I'd love to finish it some day.