Mr. Bubble

Gender Functions

Gender Functions

Script by Mr. Bubble

gender_functions-e1325686024359.png

This is a simple script that provides developers the option to define the gender of Actors and Enemies in their game. With the use of script calls and new methods, this opens up a variety of options for eventers and scripters alike.

Script

Can be found here: http://wp.me/PxlCT-h6

Installation

Paste this script into its own page within the "Materials" section in the script editor of your project.

How to Use

This script utilizes notetags, script calls, and contains a user customization module. Please read the comments thoroughly.

Compatibility

This script does not overwrite any default VXA methods. All default methods modified in this script are aliased.

Requests for compatibility with other scripts are encouraged and welcome.

Terms and Conditions

TBD

Thanks

-Yanfly, script and design references

Please feel free to post coding and efficiency suggestions, script features suggestions, and bug reports.

I can even make a bisexual gender using this script!

Anyways... I can see its usefulness for recruiting party members... like in Suikoden, where a Star of Destiny can only be recruited when all your party members are female. ;3

Wonderful!

Have you considered maybe even gender specific equips, Bubz? :o

Good idea, Yanfry.

I'm digging it Bubbles, nice work like usual but that topic title is a little...well...you know.

??? :mellow:

??? :mellow:

Sorry Bubbles, my head was in the sewer...I did manage to find it but now it stinks. The name "Gender Functions" suits the script well. I've already thought of several brilliant uses for the script. Not to mention the time its gonna save me.

A very nice script really!

But isn't there a way to assign a gender to an actor via script call? If I want, for example, for the player to build a character, I'd still need to create a male and a female template, because if I create a male and the player wants a female character, there's no possibility to change it mid-game.

Edited by Balthier99

A very nice script really!

But isn't there a way to assign a gender to an actor via script call? If I want, for example, for the player to build a character, I'd still need to create a male and a female template, because if I create a male and the player wants a female character, there's no possibility to change it mid-game.

gender is public instance variable in RPG::Actor and RPG::Enemy.

$data_actors[actor_id].gender = n

Where n is the numerical gender value.

Same concept could be applied to things such as alignment, age, element, whatever. That is the beautify of the "Script" event command; you don't need big scripts for simple functions. It's when you start wanting custom windows, custom scenes, little replicas of other games' main systems... meh, I stop ranting on Bubbles' thread now. ;)

Is there anyway we can get an update for this to include script calls that let a script change the gender for Actors or Enemies? I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to find something like this. No offense, but as they are now, the functions are rather limited since a script has no way to change gender.

As stated in an earlier post, the only way to let a player choose the gender of a character is to go through a lot of hassle with multiple templates and stuff. When all we really need is a script call to change it.

It would also allow you to do things with a character, such as in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, with the Sheik(male)/Zelda(female) plotline. Which would be nice.

If I knew more about scripting I'd attempt to hack it myself. I know it's possible after looking at other scripts. Just not how to write it personally.

I can even make a bisexual gender using this script!

In point of fact, and even though that comment is from two and a half years ago, I must correct an errant idea. Your "bisexuality" is not related to the biological/physiological sex of a person; it is a matter of a mental sexuality choice. So in this sense, that is wrong, at least because I would suppose Mr. Bubble did not mean to script a sexuality system for RPG Maker.

You can, however, script and event such sexuality choices on your own ... if your game features such activity....

Hello Mr. Bubbles, I stumpled upon this scripts today and I think they are amazing. :D

I have a bug that doesn't seem to go away.

Whenever I make a male character male with notetags and / or $data_actors[actor_id].gender = 1

It still shows up genderless with script calls for leader_male and etc.

What do you suggest I do?

Also this works for females. I don't think gender likes it to be assigned to one. 

Here's a couple of pictures from my game: 

- The Database (Notetag setup)

http://i.imgur.com/fO2ypOF.png

- The Common Event to check gender

(

if leader_genderless?

do something else

else

if leader_male?

verification

else

if leader_female?

verification

else

error message

end

end

end 

)

http://i.imgur.com/wQcdVc6.png

- The Battle Scene for sake of testing

http://i.imgur.com/dseVejJ.png - Gender Branch

http://i.imgur.com/Ca9Vg2w.png - Choosing Male

http://i.imgur.com/qwbvK8f.png - verification of my choice

http://i.imgur.com/IZ2U92g.png - Error message?

Let me know what you think I shoud do.

Thank you for your time. :)

Edited by DreadlockHeaven

This could be useful down the road because my main female is bi. Also because the gender specific equips and gender specific /race specific stat differences I need. I wonder if I can find one of these scripts to go that extra mile though.

This is a great script!^_^

I've modified this script and your other gender one to where they now recognize 'herm' and 'shemale' genders as well as common ones.

Send me a pm if you want to see them anytime in the coming future.