Kayzee

Word Wrapping Message Boxes

No, what I'm saying is that it's basically impossible to check every single line of dialogue from the editor, thus you have to playtest it (especially because Yanfly's script is stretching my window and making the text box bigger, so you can't even preview). There are also a bagillion optional dialogues and such, and if I checked every single line of dialogue for an error such as this by playtesting, I would lose all of the time I gained back anyways.

I'm no scripter, I'm just saying it's kind of annoying and it would be great if it was fixed. It's my only gripe, otherwise this is a fantastic and very helpful script. Although Killozapit said something about checking if there are words after it or not, and I think that's a good solution. I would just like it to fill a line before jumping to the next.

I'm probably misunderstanding the problem you are having.

I was under the impression that you are having issues with certain words being split up because you have reached the end of the window, and it would look visually unappealing as a writer (I don't know, maybe the phrase "a car" should be treated as a single word and not broken up like

Today I drove a

car to work

vs

Today I drove

a car to work

So this is not a matter of sentences looking bad?

Edited by Tsukihime

Well that should only happen if there is a hard return at the end of a line. I mean if you are going

Blah blah blah blah.<return>

Blah blah blah blah blah.<return>

it might end up as

Blah blah blah |

blah.<return>

Blah blah blah |

blah blah.<return>

Sounds to me like you might want to turn DEFAULT_WHITESPACE to true, then it will go

Blah blah blah |

blah. Blah blah |

blah blah blah. |

Thanks for making this script, KiloZapit, I'm always having to playtest every dialog a few times checking for cut off words along the edge, and I bet this will save me a bunch of reworking dialogs.

Wowwsa! I found a BUG (OH NO)! I updated the script. You see the problem with words going off the edge was when you had multiple white space characters in a row with whitespace collapse on, it would only check the size of the next word for the first whitespace character in a row! So obviously two spaces, or a space and a return, or such, would not split the line.

Edited by KilloZapit

All I heard was... code babble, something about words going off an edge, code babble, code babble, and yet more code babble.

hahaha, thanks for the update, time to see if it works, :D

EDIT: ...aaaaand what do ya know? It works! Nice one!

You know I do wonder...

I always write my dialogue sort of like this, using manual hard breaks after sentences.

Well, not all of them. Some of them I fit together like this. Yeah they do tend to run off the edge of the preview box.

And sometimes sure it ends up |

spitting lines in troublesome |

ways.

But it does give a good break |

from one statement to another |

and I like that.

Otherwise it kind of all leads|

together without stop. And it |

becomes sort of hard to tell |

where things start. Not a big |

deal just something I thing I |

should say.

Edited by KilloZapit

I have a question, using this script is causing the victory text to all appear as a single line, which I'm really surprised no one has mentioned, but maybe everyone knew where to go put the linebreaks unlike me. In what script would I affect that?

Do you have DEFAULT_WHITESPACE set to true by any chance? I usually set it to false myself to preserve manual line breaks. Though if you want the "Vocab" script near the top of the script list contains the messages... you could put a "\br" at the end of some. Now I am half wondering if anyone would want separate default settings for battles actually.

Ah my god, I was digging so deep, completely overlooking the vocab, that's ridiculous.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the whitespace set to true, I don't want the manual line break so I can read all the dialogue for show text while designing without having to scroll; I make many adjustments.

It might not be a bad idea to have them separate, but now that you pointed me towards the vocab script so cleverly hidden RIGHT AT THE TOP OF THE LIST, that should be that for the issue. 

edit: is what I would say if that was working, it really should but doesn't seem to be accepting \br or \nl, I just keeping getting a square of sorts followed by an r or l respectively before each end battle message on the same line... 

Edited by ShionKreth

Hi, first of all thanks for your script, it's really useful, especially using Yanfly Message System. I'm having a bit of a problem with it though. I don't know why the script doesn't activate itself automatically, even if Iset it up to true inside the script. (DEFAULT_WORDWRAP = true). The script works fine if I set the \ww tag inside a message window, and I even need to activate it only once to make it works everytime.So I figured I could just leave a \ww inside the very first message window. Problem is, if you save and load the game you need to manually reset the script, meaning that I would need to put a \ww tag inside every single message box, but this would take a lot of time, since I have already lots of dialogues already in the game.

What am I missing? I have a few Yanfly's scripts installed, along with a few generic and simple scripts (splash screen, title screen customization...).

Thanks!