Galv

Character Animations

Character Animations - Version 2.0
Galv

Introduction
This script was created as part of my learning ruby (so be warned, created by a newbie) as an attempt to create an idle animation for the player character.
Significant updates to this script have been made to increase performance.

Features
Changes the actor's charsets depending on if he/she is:
- idle ('stepping' animation on or off)
- walking
- dashing

Also calls a specified common event after being idle for a period of time.

Screenshots
character-animations_zpsb76db650.jpg

How to Use
Place script under Materials and above Main.

Create your charset files - each character you want to have animations must be on a charset separate from each other. It uses position 0, 1 and 2 in a charset for that character's animations. You can fill the rest of the charset how you like, though. The first position is idle second position is walk and third position is dash.

Script
Get it here

FAQ
None yet.

Credit and Thanks
- Galv
Requested by: Bunni89

Known issues:
- Move Route change graphic commands only work when the switch is on. The "change actor graphic" event command works as normal.
- Highly doubtful that this would be compatible with any visual equip scripts.

Updates
2013-01-24 - Version 2.0 - Re-wrote how the script worked for significant performance increase.
2012-10-06 - Version 1.5 - Added sprint speed option and removed some unnecessary code
2012-09-21 - Version 1.4 - Optimised the code significantly (to my ability) and bug fixes
2012-09-20 - Version 1.3 - Added follower animations and ability to repeat the idle common event
2012-09-20 - Version 1.2 - Fixed a compatibility bug with it and my Region Effect script.
2012-09-20 - Version 1.1 - Added a common event that plays after a period of idle time. Edited by Galv

This will be a great script for people who want to make, say, a sprinting sprite for their dashing characters! I like the idle pose too. This was a great idea Galv. I'll try this out when I get the opportunity. Thanks!

Galv, I have a stupid question...

I always like to try and event rather than script if I can. Would this work?

If I had just made a common event that had 4 conditional branches (one for each directional arrow), with else statements, if all 4 registered false, then the actor's graphic becomes x

Then another common event with a conditional branch checking if the dash button is being pressed, and if so, change actor's graphic to y

Then have else statements under each where is the direction buttons are indeed being pressed, change actor's graphic to the normal graphic, same with the else for dashing.

I'm in no way trying to undermine your script, and forgive me if you take this rudely. I just like to try and think outside the box and I"m wondering if that would work?

I'm all for eventing as well, so I don't mind. You could definitely do that with parallel processes and common events, but you'll also need conditonal branches to check which actor is first in your party then change the graphic depending on that actor, so the event gets larger with each actor you want to do it for.

This script is just me trying to make it easier :)

Aaahh that's right. I guess my theory only applies for one actor in your party...

I definitely agree scripts make EVERYTHING easier. I'm just that kind of jackass that likes to find out things the hard and complicated way :)

Great script though. I very well may use this.

Wow, this is amazing! Thank you :3 Gonna test it out now!

Just wondering, would it work with graphic changes? I.e if I changed the graphic to "Actor2_walk.png" would it load "Actor2.png" etc or just turn my walk sprite to that and leave everything else as it was? (Like the character would turn back into his default image when idling or dashing)

Just wanted to know because I had an idea for being able to turn into animals in order to solve various puzzles, and didn't want to have to make separate actors for them all because levelling them separately instead of just adding/subtracting stats would kinda discourage use. (Planning a 3 digit level cap) But again thank you so much for the help and if that's not possible I'll try and work around it on my own :3

And the followers not animating makes dashes look slightly silly but that's alright! XD

EDIT: tested it and it actually just changes all three graphics. Aka I have the new sprite while walking/dashing and then instead of an idle its the same one doing the stepping animation. Well, this could work but it's a shame the alternate forms can't also have idles/custom dash. Perhaps with more fiddling! *back to the grindstone*

Wish there was some sort of command to change the three separate graphics independantly?

Edited by Bunni89

What are you trying to do exactly?

There's an issue with this currently that if you use a move route to change the graphic, it won't work unless the switch is off, and even with the switch off, it turning it back on reverts to the original.

But with the switch off, using the event command "Change Actor Graphic", then turn the switch back on, the new graphic should stay and use idle/walk/dash animations also.

I will look into followers using it as well.

EDIT: Updated to include followers.

If you want to change graphic via a move route, make sure the switch (specified in the script) is on.

Changing graphic by the normal event command "Change Actor Graphic" works as normal and will use any animation for the new graphic charset and position (provided you set the file names properly).

Edited by Galv

That's not what I mean, lol.. I'm using the switch properly.

When I was testing it I could change the actor graphic but then it changed idle and dash to the same graphic instead of loading new ones. I.e Change Graphic "Actor1.png" to "Actor2.png" changes "Actor1_walk.png" ALSO to "Actor2.png". So I get that animation for walking, dashing and idling. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here if it works properly for you, eep! I even tried it with changing graphic to a different character ON Actor1.png and it still does this...

Edit: Here's what I'm doing..

Control Switches [0012] ON

Set move route: player

$> Graphic: 'Actor1'

Result = graphic changes but everything changes. Walking looks identical to idling, etc. Have tried 'change graphic to Actor1_walk' but same thing, it just takes the one animation and overwrites them all.

Tried it again with the 'Change Actor Graphic' command instead- same thing. Tried it with changing the graphic to the SAME GRAPHIC and the same thing happens, idle animation overwriting the other two. It's definately not a problem of misspelled images...

Edited by Bunni89

Okay, when trying to figure out what you meant, I found some more bugs that I am working on, too.

The event command on tab 3 "Change Actor Graphic" changes the actor's graphic AND uses walk/dash of the new graphic. You will use this to permanantly change actor graphic.

(You do not need the switch to be off for this one.)

The switch disables the animations only for when you wanted to use move-route to temporarily change graphics, you have to turn it back on to turn animations back on. (for things like eventing an animation to climb a ladder or something)

Thanks for testing.

- Also you can't currently add or remove party members, I am working on this haha

Just updated to v.1.4 - much improved code and some bug fixes. Download the latest demo, I have examples of how to change the actor if I didn't explain it well.

Change Actor Graphic works identically to the move route version for me, it doesn't work if the switch is off and has this glitch if the switch is on.. I don't have any other script affecting actor images so I can't imagine there's a clash here. I'm utterly baffled!

Gonna try the updated script, try this without any other scripts and if it still doesn't work I'll try and capture video of what's going on and see if that explains it better...

EDIT: The new and improved script works perfectly! Thanks and sorry for all the trouble :3

Edited by Bunni89

Hi, I'm fairly new to Rpg maker and I'm making my first game. I was planning to add a skill to on of my character classes that allows for a high jumping animation to reach high ledges. Would it be possible to make something like that or no? And if so could I perhaps recieve some help? :wacko:

Made an account SOLELY to thank you for this script! I tried it, it worked flawlessly and only took a few minutes to set up and test! Thanks A LOT I've been looking for a good easy to use idle animation+dash+walk script for A VERY LONG TIME. Thank you so much Galv, you are the BEST! :D

How can you change the amount of time before the idle animation plays in version 2? I am changing the common_event_time variable in the script and I can't see it doing anything.

COMMON_EVENT_TIME = 300     # Frames idle before common event called.

The more the frames the more time it takes to trigger. Have you tried to modify it with huge numbers? Like, 600 frames or 50.

Edited by Lelou