Music during battle  

2 members have voted

1. 1. I recently added a event to give different battle musics. (Sometimes they repeat) But there are a few available, What do you guys think? After voting feel free to comment on why you feel that way.

• Good.
    • Bad.
    • Neutral.

What's wrong with the battle system?

Oh, you're playing the Demo, yeah, it's got a lot less... in the battle system, I think I made it better in the actual game.

And thanks for the character creation ^^ That will come back into play later, once I figure out how to transition into the next phase of the story.

And the soundtrack is from the Legend of Zelda, and The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim soundtracks, as well as some people on this site who put up a few songs I felt were cool.

And I'll be sure to fix that spelling error if I haven't already.

great game so far, always wanted an old school game like skyrim, the free roaming, the character creation, the choices OH MAN the choices. love it so far and currently looking for more like it, hope it leaves beta soon

Thanks ^^ And it's going to be in Beta for a while, I'm still building the game, but feel free to enjoy it ^^ I'm still making monsters XD

Hi you guys, sorry this has been so long, I have to make a 4sync account for the game so it can be downloaded again, sorry it's been so long, I've been working with my high school theatre. I'll have it up for download by the end of today.

Ok, might have to push that to tomorrow, 4sync is being slow about uploading my game, but don't fear, I'tt be up soon, and I'm still working on making the arena battles for the Von Krowne stadium, I've got like 9 out of 70 done XD long way to go.

just got the game link fixed, I'll work on getting the Demo up soon, PS the demo has more problems than the actual game, I've fixed a lot of the bugs present in the demo.

Looks really promising! Still trying to get it downloaded, though. haha. If you've got the RTP bundled in this download, you may want to leave that out until you're finished with the game and plan to distribute it. Most people on these forums have the RTP or know how to install RTP themselves. That'll cut down the file size.

From the screenshots, the mapping and gameplay look solid, but I don't like mixing the character generator sprites and faces with the RTP sprites and faces. The styles just don't mesh. That's a minor, personal gripe, though.

Edit: I'm sure you've fixed most of these after the beta, but I caught a few spelling mistakes. During character creation, you misspelled "thief." I before E, except after C. ;)

The lockpicking set you buy from that shady guy in the bar misspells "taking" in the description.

The adventurer in the bar says "travles." Should be travels.

Overall, very few spelling mistakes, which is rare for these games. Great job.

While I was reading some of the guide book key items, trying to cancel out with the X key would default to selecting one of entries. Kind of annoying, simple fix. You also probably shouldn't let the player sell those guides and the map... After the makeover witch forced me to pay 250 G for a makeover I didn't want, I had to sell some to recoup my losses. ;)

In battle, I couldn't use Rune's Triple Attack. Not sure if you have that set up to only be used with a specific weapon (or unarmed) but just letting you know. In battle, the Slimes dodged a lot of attacks and consistently did 0 damage. I don't have to tell you how worthless those kinds of battles are. I'm sure you'll rebalance that, (it's just a beta. duh.) but worth mentioning. Actually, everything I fought, I killed in one hit.

I broke a lockpick trying to pick a tent flap. So, uh...

As far as gameplay goes, I stopped playing after I left the first town and ended up in Arna, whiiich is a ghost town. Overall, a lot of fun and a lot of potential. I couldn't ever manage to "steal" anything, so I don't think that mechanic was implemented yet, but I picked several locks for the free XP. Think about adding in some kind of mini-game, or at least some numbers to make the PC feel a little more involved with the lockpicking. Use some rustling, jingling sounds instead of just instantly opening the door.

I feel like the first town should've had some quests or something before I set off on my epic journey that I don't think has a plot. The "market" felt a little forced, but you could spice that up with some unique shop names and NPCs running around.

I was also trying to find somewhere to make potions or armor, but I don't think you've implemented that yet, either.

Hope that feedback helps a bit. Really excited to see where this goes.

Edited by Jared

The killing in one hit thing, did that happen in the beta I just posted? I could have sworn I fixed that. And the triple attack takes 5 TP so be sure you have TP saved up in battle, if it's still an issue, let me know. And I also made the first few areas easy, so you'r not getting your ass kick from the get go XD. but the wishing well on the way from Hearthmet to the camp, that little green path has a special enemy encounter if you're looking for a challenge, but it's rare mind you.

I'll be sure to check me spelling and grammar in the suggested areas.

The first town was the first thing I ever made, so yeah, it's a little bland, however, if you go to Isolde you should find things a bit more lively XD

Sorry to hear about the guides, there's usually an option to stop reading, if you go down to 'more', I did that because my mom doesn't know a lot about these games, and she was my first tester, and she said she didn't like having to keep reopening the books every time, so I put them on a loop kinda. I'll try and make it more user friendly.

And sorry about your lockpicks, it's based off the player's level, so try leveling up. And don't you know, those tents are super hard to unlock! What with all the measures it takes to put a lock on a tent XD.

And as for the crafting, there is a potion set in the magic shop in heathmet, and a furnace for crafting in the smith. (Potion set looks like some science equipment, and furnace looks like a fireplace ) those were some of the first things I put in, a complete crafting system for basic weapons and potions. I even made a cooking one, though I can't remember where I put them all. Don't forget to check your house for important things you'll need later (Your house is nearest the exit of Hearthmet) And if you really need cash, the code for the magic lock box is Jade (Case sensitive) it'll give you more than enough to be set for a while.

Thank you for the feed back, I really appreciate how detailed you were, I'll work more on this over the weekend, I've got highschool so I'm a little busy XD

Oh, and since I assume you have the latest beta version, when you fought the Dark intruder, did all the battle events trigger? the first is text, the second is the other enemies appearing, the third is text, and the fourth is all the enemies dying.

And did I say sorry about the make over? I'll try and make you able to exit sooner, it's really more of a fun little bonus thing anyway, just so everyone can have more variety

PS: I do have a plot, just trying to figure out how to transition into the next phase, and you know, super busy on the area which is no where near finished. Also, please keep giving feedback, I really enjoy getting it and talking with the people who play ^^.

Edited by jobwaggon

The killing in one hit thing, did that happen in the beta I just posted? I could have sworn I fixed that. And the triple attack takes 5 TP so be sure you have TP saved up in battle, if it's still an issue, let me know. And I also made the first few areas easy, so you'r not getting your ass kick from the get go XD. but the wishing well on the way from Hearthmet to the camp, that little green path has a special enemy encounter if you're looking for a challenge, but it's rare mind you.

I'll be sure to check me spelling and grammar in the suggested areas.

The first town was the first thing I ever made, so yeah, it's a little bland, however, if you go to Isolde you should find things a bit more lively XD

Sorry to hear about the guides, there's usually an option to stop reading, if you go down to 'more', I did that because my mom doesn't know a lot about these games, and she was my first tester, and she said she didn't like having to keep reopening the books every time, so I put them on a loop kinda. I'll try and make it more user friendly.

And sorry about your lockpicks, it's based off the player's level, so try leveling up. And don't you know, those tents are super hard to unlock! What with all the measures it takes to put a lock on a tent XD.

And as for the crafting, there is a potion set in the magic shop in heathmet, and a furnace for crafting in the smith. (Potion set looks like some science equipment, and furnace looks like a fireplace ) those were some of the first things I put in, a complete crafting system for basic weapons and potions. I even made a cooking one, though I can't remember where I put them all. Don't forget to check your house for important things you'll need later (Your house is nearest the exit of Hearthmet) And if you really need cash, the code for the magic lock box is Jade (Case sensitive) it'll give you more than enough to be set for a while.

Thank you for the feed back, I really appreciate how detailed you were, I'll work more on this over the weekend, I've got highschool so I'm a little busy XD

Oh, and since I assume you have the latest beta version, when you fought the Dark intruder, did all the battle events trigger? the first is text, the second is the other enemies appearing, the third is text, and the fourth is all the enemies dying.

And did I say sorry about the make over? I'll try and make you able to exit sooner, it's really more of a fun little bonus thing anyway, just so everyone can have more variety

PS: I do have a plot, just trying to figure out how to transition into the next phase, and you know, super busy on the area which is no where near finished. Also, please keep giving feedback, I really enjoy getting it and talking with the people who play ^^.

I killed *everything* in one hit. The first boss, the random encounters, and a little golden rabbit thing that dropped 1000 G. Is that the rare enemy? But no, the first boss didn't trigger any battle events. I punched him in his face once and he went home.

I think you should make the interact-able objects stand out a bit more. I noticed you did a few things with sparkles on the cabinets or chests, but picking up items on tables was hit or miss. I ended up just checking everything and really only had success 10% of the time. You could open up the icons in Gimp or Photoshop and possibly make them brighter to stand out more so the player is drawn to them. I think that's why I never found the potion making and smithing, because by the time I got to that side of the town, I was tired of examining everything in sight. :P

I'll definitely go to a different town next time I play it.

Ok, I didn't make them stand out because I kind wanted it to be a special treat for those 'completion freaks', I wanted them to be hidden, some of them are set on timers as well, they'll have a sparkle on them at certain times where you can steal them.

Yes, the rabbit was the rare enemy, not rare enough? and I'll do a little play test today and see if I can figure out WTH is wrong with the enemies, the battles work fine when I battle test them.

And if you talk to the shop keeper they usually tell you about the things.

Edit: I play tested the game, which should be the same as the version I posted, and the monsters are fine, PS you didn't name your character Alias did you? But, my playtest seems to be working fine, my monsters aren't dying in one hit, and some of them are doing damage, I'm not sure what's wrong, I'll try re-uploading the game this weekend.

What class did you choose? Maybe I made it too powerful?

And those little easy battles, they're a good way to make gold, most of the monsters in this game don't drop that much.

Edited by jobwaggon

Ok, I didn't make them stand out because I kind wanted it to be a special treat for those 'completion freaks', I wanted them to be hidden, some of them are set on timers as well, they'll have a sparkle on them at certain times where you can steal them.

Yes, the rabbit was the rare enemy, not rare enough? and I'll do a little play test today and see if I can figure out WTH is wrong with the enemies, the battles work fine when I battle test them.

And if you talk to the shop keeper they usually tell you about the things.

Edit: I play tested the game, which should be the same as the version I posted, and the monsters are fine, PS you didn't name your character Alias did you? But, my playtest seems to be working fine, my monsters aren't dying in one hit, and some of them are doing damage, I'm not sure what's wrong, I'll try re-uploading the game this weekend.

What class did you choose? Maybe I made it too powerful?

And those little easy battles, they're a good way to make gold, most of the monsters in this game don't drop that much.

I've played through it up to Isolde again. I picked the agility class again, a ranger instead of assassin, but both of those classes easily one-shots every enemy. I'll try it with a mage or warrior, maybe that's the problem. I also equipped two bows with my ranger class. You should probably make the bows two-handed weapons. Makes more sense that way.

And the golden rabbit I didn't encounter again. It just so happened that on my first playthrough, I chanced upon it on my second encounter. No big deal there, just luck of the draw. I still obliterated it, though. haha. I didn't change the main character's name, either. Rune generally misses half the time, but the girl is pretty accurate. It could just be that you released your demo before you did the monster rebalancing. I wouldn't worry too much about it for right now. In a beta, I'd rather have the monsters significantly too easy instead of being too hard.

Pshhh, haven't you ever seen someone wielding two bows?! Who needs logic! XD I'll do what I can about that, I only did that because I want people to be able to wield bows and swords together, rather than just having a bow.

I sealed the shield slot with Bows, and made them shoot two arrows rather than one, so that you still get to his twice rather than getting one shot, since both your hands are used.

I'm also making faster progress on the arena, now that I'm in the 30's I can use more variatey of monsters so the troop creation is going much faster.

Edit: I'm going to revamp the Demo before I post it again, going to try to get the mistakes out of it so someone can review it and maybe get some more people to try it out~

Edited by jobwaggon

jobwaggon, please do not double/triple post within 72 hours. Use the edit link instead (located near the Quote button in your posts).

I was responding to someone talking about my game, should I make a different thread for discussions about my game so that I'm not 'double/triple posting' in this thread?

No, you should

Use the edit link instead (located near the Quote button in your posts).

Double posting means when you post after your own post.

• Like 1

WooHoo! New, refreshed Demo up! Hopefully I'll get a review from someone soon, I'll be updating Von Krowne hopefully this weekend~

So I found a secret study in my house!

...and then I found out it didn't have an exit! And so I died, cold and alone. :(

Haha xD yea, sorry about that, I think I fixed it in the new beta, did you at least have a save to load? I used that to test out the functionality of the study, so be careful of that bookshelf I use it for stuff like that alot :3. I'm working on finishing Von krowne it's got a pretty good quest in the cemetery it'll even involve a hidden path :D

tried to d/l the demo.  Errors out on load.  missing audio files.  the error was for 01 Theme music or something along those lines.

Well, that only took 8 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I'll come back here when I've decided I've had enough.

EDIT: Stop.

Error time.

http://goo.gl/wawsM

Edited by Arin

Ok, I fixed it but I couldn't upload the new demo before I had to catch the bus for school, so I'll take down the current link and put the new one up later today, I'm really sorry you guys.

Sorry about not updating the demo yesterday... I had a date, that lasted.. late into the night, I'll try to get it done today.

Edited by jobwaggon

Okay, here we go. Finally.

Stupid lighting effects making my PC lag...**mumble mumble mumble**

Anyways, the first that I noticed was all of the MP3s that are used in the game, while I was extracting it. This might be a contributor to the massive file size; making those MP3s into OGGs will considerably lower the amount of space for your project, by as much as 50%. So that's something to take into consideration. Minding that, the music itself is pretty good. Though there are some nitpicks which I will get into later.

So, I started off down this incredibly long cliched road of rigorous crap because that's how all RPGs start out. I decided to go with a male paladin because I KNEW right off that you would be paired up with a female adventurer (it always happens, and guess what?), and women love sexy paladins.

Ahem. Anyways...

This would be one of those times where I had a real enjoyment about being a bitch in video games, like the time I played through that Persona remake (the name slips me at the moment). But I digress.

The starting fight could definitely use some sprucing. At first, I thought it was a fight that you had to purposely lose, because I kept on bashing up the demon thing without making any sort of significant progress, so I was just like, whatevs. But then I won and it was like, what...?

Okay, so, that guy standing right next to the portal is NOT a creeper.

So now I'm in the "realm of the living". And who comes to greet me? It's SC Mia (Side Character for gits and shiggles). I think 6 letters is a little short for naming your characters; I wanted to name her Guineveraveve. So I just went with the first name that came into my head (I went with the default name for the MC), Mia.

And that's how that happened.

So now I'm meandering in town at late night. I imagined that there would be, you know, guards patrolling the street at this time and hour, considering that's when all of the suspicious activity goes down.

So now it's time to hunt this adventurer, but first, MINDLESS TUTORIALS! Yeah, seriously, I think everyone knows the basic functions of what beds do and what an Inn is.

Crafting system looks neat. Too bad I didn't get a chance to use it.

Every time you enter a shop or another area in the village, a new song plays. I don't really think that's necessary. If the shop BGM is the same as the shop BGM, it might cut down on unnecessary space, considering a lot of people are raging at the file size.

So I just wanted to get this out of the way because, believe it or not, I have a life and a review to write, so I'm going through, picking up maps, picking up chicks at the bar, walking through maids......wait, what? Walking through maids? Yeah...so, apparently, in the Inn, there's a maid...that you can walk through.

Every time you transfer into a new map, I noticed that, if the house has a torch or an NPC, the screen will fade in with the torch lit, but then it will disappear and the NPC will appear. Just for that split-second, though, the map is blank and the torches are lit.

So cool. World Maps. The bane of my existence. It actually looks well put together, especially considering RPG logic where there's a snowy foothill just two seconds away from a lively green forest.

Combat is kind of blehh. The interesting thing, though, and what I would like to request, is the pop-up concerning TP Gain. It may actually be a nice little add-on for my game (provided it works with YANFLY, which it probably won't (and that's me being optimistic)). So, I'm wandering around, right, and I see this little "Wishing Circle". Yeah, I'm not sure what the whole deal with that is. Is it a random luck game, or are all of the options just "not my lucky day"? Anyways, after that, and I'm not sure if this is just a random encounter or a forced encounter, but I got into a fight with this "Golden Rabbit"....

No. What are you doing? Stahp. Stahp using Sleep Pollen. STAHP. Stahp doing no damage and wake me up, dammit.

So then I got to the Traveler's crossing and that's where I stopped my playthrough. Checked out all the shops, looked at all the crafting recipes, talked to everyone, fell victim to an incredibly stupid joke about this only being the Demo, big whoop.

If this review had a title, it would be Sexy Paladin Party.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: Pretty good, but not spectacular. The plot is cliched to death and the joke about the Demo at the end was just disappointing. Music was really well put together, except for the parts where you are transferring to shops. The character customization, I can already tell, is going to be one of the redeeming features of this game.

RATING: A solid 3/5.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS GAME TO SOMEONE ELSE:  Not really. The large file size might be intimidating to some people, and when they finally do download it, it isn't what they expected.

Critique Forum, here I come!

Stupid lighting effects making my PC lag...**mumble mumble mumble**

Anyways, the first that I noticed was all of the MP3s that are used in the game, while I was extracting it. This might be a contributor to the massive file size; making those MP3s into OGGs will considerably lower the amount of space for your project, by as much as 50%. So that's something to take into consideration. Minding that, the music itself is pretty good. Though there are some nitpicks which I will get into later.

So, I started off down this incredibly long cliched road of rigorous crap because that's how all RPGs start out. I decided to go with a male paladin because I KNEW right off that you would be paired up with a female adventurer (it always happens, and guess what?), and women love sexy paladins.

The starting fight could definitely use some sprucing. At first, I thought it was a fight that you had to purposely lose, because I kept on bashing up the demon thing without making any sort of significant progress, so I was just like, whatevs. But then I won and it was like, what...?

Okay, so, that guy standing right next to the portal is NOT a creeper.

So now I'm in the "realm of the living". And who comes to greet me? It's SC Mia (Side Character for gits and shiggles). I think 6 letters is a little short for naming your characters; I wanted to name her Guineveraveve. So I just went with the first name that came into my head (I went with the default name for the MC), Mia.

So now I'm meandering in town at late night. I imagined that there would be, you know, guards patrolling the street at this time and hour, considering that's when all of the suspicious activity goes down.

So now it's time to hunt this adventurer, but first, MINDLESS TUTORIALS! Yeah, seriously, I think everyone knows the basic functions of what beds do and what an Inn is.

Crafting system looks neat. Too bad I didn't get a chance to use it.

Every time you enter a shop or another area in the village, a new song plays. I don't really think that's necessary. If the shop BGM is the same as the shop BGM, it might cut down on unnecessary space, considering a lot of people are raging at the file size.

So I just wanted to get this out of the way because, believe it or not, I have a life and a review to write, so I'm going through, picking up maps, picking up chicks at the bar, walking through maids......wait, what? Walking through maids? Yeah...so, apparently, in the Inn, there's a maid...that you can walk through.

Every time you transfer into a new map, I noticed that, if the house has a torch or an NPC, the screen will fade in with the torch lit, but then it will disappear and the NPC will appear. Just for that split-second, though, the map is blank and the torches are lit.

So cool. World Maps. The bane of my existence. It actually looks well put together, especially considering RPG logic where there's a snowy foothill just two seconds away from a lively green forest.

Combat is kind of blehh. The interesting thing, though, and what I would like to request, is the pop-up concerning TP Gain. It may actually be a nice little add-on for my game (provided it works with YANFLY, which it probably won't (and that's me being optimistic)). So, I'm wandering around, right, and I see this little "Wishing Circle". Yeah, I'm not sure what the whole deal with that is. Is it a random luck game, or are all of the options just "not my lucky day"? Anyways, after that, and I'm not sure if this is just a random encounter or a forced encounter, but I got into a fight with this "Golden Rabbit"....

No. What are you doing? Stahp. Stahp using Sleep Pollen. STAHP. Stahp doing no damage and wake me up, dammit.

So then I got to the Traveler's crossing and that's where I stopped my playthrough. Checked out all the shops, looked at all the crafting recipes, talked to everyone, fell victim to an incredibly stupid joke about this only being the Demo, big whoop.

Alright, I warned you about it might run slow with the lighting effects.

And if you could offer a site where I could find a converter for MP3 to OGG I would happily change them, believe it or not, I'm not making the file huge for shits and giggles.

And as for the first battle, you didn't kill him quickly because Paladins excel at defense rather than offense, but I'm thinking of changing up what level you start at, rather than 1 maybe 3 or 5? I'll have to test it out.

The starter town is a small town, they don't have many guards, but I suppose I'll try to put some guard in, probably not patrolling though, I tried that once and the LAG was INSANE.

And the tutorials are unnecessary because not EVERYONE automatically knows what everything does. I have people who aren't that great at RPGs or haven't really played them before, and they said when they played this that they would like to see some helpful hints, so they may be annoying to you, but to some people they are helpful.

Yea, sorry about the maid at the Inn, I'll go fix that, once I figure out WTF I did in the first place XD.

And yea. sorry about the flickering NPCs and torches, that's part of my system for making sure thay the right NPCs show up where they are supposed to be during the day.

It's called a snow line, it's a real thing. there really are places where the forest stops and snow starts. I'm sorry if it bothers you, I really couldn't find a tileset that had a smooth transition from not snowy to snowy.

The battle pop-ups is a system made by Jet, and I think it is comparable with Yanfly, but you should check the script page first, it's on this site actually. And I made the golden rabbit as a little bit of a troll hehe, I wanted to show the importance of SAVING YOUR GAME FREQUENTLY! XD and I kinda just wanted to make a rabbit that could shoot lightening, but did I do too much? I'll power him down a little if you think that's a good idea.

And it's not a joke, it's the DEMO I had to make it stop somewhere, and I didn't just want you walking against the Exit saying "Why can't I leave?" (yes, there are some people that would do that. I happen to know a few of them, unfortunately...)

Alright, I warned you about it might run slow with the lighting effects.

I also have a "not-so-great" notebook that really isn't suited for gaming. That's a contributing factor.

And if you could offer a site where I could find a converter for MP3 to OGG I would happily change them, believe it or not, I'm not making the file huge for shits and giggles.

Audacity should work. It's simple to use and effective.

The battle pop-ups is a system made by Jet, and I think it is comparable with Yanfly, but you should check the script page first, it's on this site actually. And I made the golden rabbit as a little bit of a troll hehe, I wanted to show the importance of SAVING YOUR GAME FREQUENTLY! XD and I kinda just wanted to make a rabbit that could shoot lightening, but did I do too much? I'll power him down a little if you think that's a good idea.

Awesome. Thank you.

It's not that he was OP, it was just annoying to deal with. He only used Thunder occasionally, and it did little to no damage.

And also I didn't save once. Then again, that's because I'm used to finding Save Points.