Crystal Noel

Crystal Engine – Sphere Grid

Crystal Engine - Sphere Grid Version 1.03

Crystal Noel

Introduction

This script is the Sphere Grid system for FFX.

Features

- Node effects for all RPG Maker VX Ace Defualt Params and Locks.

- Levels set to function like they do in FFX

- Backgrounds for each and every actor posible

- Actors can start anywhere on the grid

Screenshots

sphere-grid.png?w=930

How to Use

I highly recommend using the demo I provided it has most of the spheres in FFX created already.

Demo

Demo: Version 1.03

Alternate Demo: Version 1.03

Script

http://crystalnoel42...ne-sphere-grid/

FAQ

none

Credit and Thanks

- Crystal Noel

- Feoden

Edited by Crystal Noel

Finally a sphere grid for ace although I would suggest 2 the first is have your background moving 2 is once a sphere is activated it plays an animation. other than nice one and hope you can make a full pokemon system for ace.

Finally a sphere grid for ace although I would suggest 2 the first is have your background moving 2 is once a sphere is activated it plays an animation. other than nice one and hope you can make a full pokemon system for ace.

Animations will be in future versions and if you want to have the background to correspond with the grid the way the screen handles the grid may not allow that without changing how the background is drawn.

hmmm I see where you are coming from redrawing the background like that may effect how the screen handles it. But even so can't wait for future versions and its probably just Ace but the movement seems a little strict and laggy at point but it may just be me.

Bug report:

When selecting an empty-node-filling sphere, then hitting cancel, the following message pops up (in your demo, with no other scripts installed):

Script "sphere grid" Line 1583 NoMethodError Occured:

undefined method "refresh" for nil:nilClass

Edited by Naridar

Hey , this looks great but an you upload it to mediafire or other file sharing site ???

I can't manage to download it from the one you have there .

Hey , this looks great but an you upload it to mediafire or other file sharing site ???

I can't manage to download it from the one you have there .

What exactly happens when you try to download the file?

Two Bugs:

1. When I go to "Ralph" to increase my AP by 200, it works fine-- but when I move/use on the Sphere Grid the "Next Level" experience shoots to a negative number and thus leveling up after that is impossible through battles.

2. When you hit the "F12" reset button, the game is reset as are all the stats of the characters, however the Sphere Grid still has the same spaces unlocked for each character. These spaces cannot be reused/unlocked again.

Other than that this is really well done, I look forward to the fixes and the animation updated, good luck!

Edited by Griffith_Kun

Two Bugs:

1. When I go to "Ralph" to increase my AP by 200, it works fine-- but when I move/use on the Sphere Grid the "Next Level" experience shoots to a negative number and thus leveling up after that is impossible through battles.

2. When you hit the "F12" reset button, the game is reset as are all the stats of the characters, however the Sphere Grid still has the same spaces unlocked for each character. These spaces cannot be reused/unlocked again.

Other than that this is really well done, I look forward to the fixes and the animation updated, good luck!

Both fixed.

Problem 1 was purely ascetic.

The download doesn't start automatically and when i press the link it says "This webpage has a redirect loop"

Edited by Kaizer Blitz

Looks nice.

Some suggestions:

1. The movement when checking the grid is a bit too slow.

2. It would be nice if a cursor would show the character's location.

3. Pressing the cancel key when the menu isn't open should exit the sphere grid.

4. The clear sphere (makes any node an empty node) might also be interesting to have.

Looks nice.

Some suggestions:

3. Pressing the cancel key when the menu isn't open should exit the sphere grid.

4. The clear sphere (makes any node an empty node) might also be interesting to have.

1. Change Line 1729 to "a=25" or "a=30" it works rather well.

4. Once I have time (in january only, sadly), I might make that modification myself for my own project. If it's okay with Crystalnoel, I'll post it if needed.

looks alot beter but is there a way to add custom graphics for the lines? Now all we really need is some nerd to take the time to recreate the whole sphere grid from FFX I would but the time it would take is crazy...Still keep it up.

Some questions, would you be fine if this was used in a commercial project?

Also, would this infringe on any copyright of Squaresoft/Square Enix?

Commercial projects are fine. As for copyright, I am not sure. Definitely if you call it the Sphere Grid, but maybe if you change all the graphics and names it wouldn't be. That would be something you would want to research or ask a copyright official.

Looks nice.

Some suggestions:

2. Are you referring to how the game labeled every character's location on the grid.

3. Sorry about that one I changed that it is added to the menu as an option to exit.

4. I decided that I didn't need it at the time and not to mention that clear spheres are extremely rare. However I was meaning to add the ability for spheres that run custom effects.

Once I have time (in january only, sadly), I might make that modification myself for my own project. If it's okay with Crystalnoel, I'll post it if needed.

PM the edits to me and I will add it to the script and re upload it.

looks alot beter but is there a way to add custom graphics for the lines?

Sadley no. The way the lines are drawn is very hard coded and all that can be changed easily is the color of the line.

Now all we really need is some nerd to take the time to recreate the whole sphere grid from FFX I would but the time it would take is crazy...Still keep it up.

That would take a very long time. For Pokemon for Ace I am going to have to add all 649 Pokemon to the database and make face graphics for them. Then I would have to add 600+ moves and 500+ items. In addition there would be about 100 trainer types and I have a bet even after all that, it wouldn't even come close to how long it would take to add 828 nodes and even more lines, because you would have to get all the coordinates of the nodes and the radius of all the curves. Not to mention evasion and accuracy stats do not exist in VX Ace the way they do in FFX, so there would be a tone of empty nodes where those would be.

Where is the help text refreshed? Because I've run into a problem where the help window's text stays as if I still pointed at the node which was highlighted when the scene was called. For example, in the demo's SG, it always says "Increases STR by 4 points.". It doesn't happen in the demo and is likely a compatibility issue.

Also, on loading the game, actors who activated nodes have appropriately increased stats, but their nodes are deactivated. This is not present in the demo, might be a compatibility issue, I'll check and report once I found out what causes it.

EDIT: Resolved! To solve this issue, replace the Scene_File and Scene_Load with the following:

class Scene_Save < Scene_File
 alias on_savefile_ok_sg on_action_save
 def on_action_save
  $game_actors[1].save_grid
  on_savefile_ok_sg
 end
end
class Scene_Load < Scene_File

alias on_savefile_ok_sg on_action_load
 def on_action_load
  on_savefile_ok_sg
  CRYSTAL::SPHERE::NODES.clear
  CRYSTAL::SPHERE::LINES.clear
  CRYSTAL::SPHERE::NODES.concat $game_actors[1].nodes
  CRYSTAL::SPHERE::LINES.concat $game_actors[1].lines
 end
end

Also, Crystal Noel, could you please tell me how you did that despite it seemingly saving only actor 1's sphere grid, both Eric and Natalie's Sphere Grids in the demo are saved?

Also, Bugfix: in the sphere grid while checking the grid, pressing either L or R results in the previous actor being chosen, rather than L for previous, and R for next. To fix, change line 1821 (vanilla demo script) from "@actor = $game_party.menu_actor_prev" to "@actor =  $game_party.menu_actor_next".

Edited by Naridar

It is, it's actually in the demo. XS Menu Delux has a few issues with it (actor selection and custom scenes don't mix well in that one), but Yanfly's works with it just fine.

Also, Crystal Noel, could you please tell me how you did that despite it seemingly saving only actor 1's sphere grid, both Eric and Natalie's Sphere Grids in the demo are saved?

Actor 1 is only the catalyst for the master data or the actual nodes and lines classes that hold arrays that contain the active status for the node/line for all actors. It is the same case as with the Licence Board it saves all the data on actor 1 because they will always exist in the database while 2-999 don't have to.

Where is the help text refreshed? Because I've run into a problem where the help window's text stays as if I still pointed at the node which was highlighted when the scene was called. For example, in the demo's SG, it always says "Increases STR by 4 points.". It doesn't happen in the demo and is likely a compatibility issue.

Sorry if I'm bothering anyone here, but how did you solve that help text issue? Because the cursor moves and the move recognizes positions on the grid since it jumps from one node to next. However,

1) The help window stays on the initial actor's position on the grid

2) It wont even allow me to use spheres that should be designated for that node (even the initial node that the actor starts out on), since even when that sphere in inventory, the use option for that sphere is grayed out.

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. I've tried mimicing the database from the demo, even placing the spheres and tags in the exact id slots. I am almost sure it's a compatibility isssue, however, I'm certain that there's an easy workaround that I am just not thinking of. Maybe, you figured out something that I'm missing here. Thanks :3

EDIT: I Think I've got it working, it seems in order for it to work you need the Ace Core Engine. Once I had that installed it worked. Also for some reason the help text issue reoccurs if I set the resize dimensions to something other than 640x416. Is that something specific to the script or am I stuck in this resolution? :D

Edited by natethegreat226