FenixFyreX

VX -> Ace Conversion Program

Intro

Do you want to convert your RPG Maker VX project to RPG Maker VX Ace? I created this program so that others can convert their vx projects to ace. vx2ace.exe is your solution.

What it Does

This program converts the following to ace:

• Actors
  • Classes
  • Skills
  • Items
  • Weapons
  • Armors
  • Enemies
  • Troops
  • States
  • Animations
  • Common Events
  • System(Including Terms)
  • Maps(and everything upon those maps)
  • Areas to Regions(up to 63)

vx2ace.exe also copies any graphics from the original VX project that isn't included in the ace project folders. If the image name is not found in the corresponding ace project folder, the image is copied over from the VX project folder. If it's from the vx RTP, you must copy it yourself.

Music is copied as well.

vx2ace.exe needs the following to run correctly:

An rmvx project with all of the data saved. All the .rvdata in the Data/ folder must be present. Scripts.rvdata will not be touched.

An rmvxAce project with Tilesets.rvdata2 present in the Data/ folder.

How To

1. Open vx2ace.exe.
  2. A window will open. There are two blank boxes with a button each on the right. One is labeled Vx: and one is labeled Ace: You also have a Convert button, a log window and a Clear Log button.
  3. Press each Browse... button to select the respective project's INI file. The boxes will display the project directory after you've selected them.
  4. Press the Convert button when you've selected the projects. The system will tell you when it is finished in the log window.
  5. You are finished! But there are a few things you need to know, so keep reading:

What it Doesn't Do

This program converts most, if not all, of your project to Ace. However, there are some things that haven't been added in, can't be 100% converted, or simply can't be converted period.

These include:

• Actor EXP Curve and Params: All of your actor's exp curve and parameters become their startup class' exp curve and params. Also note that while I converted the EXP parameters very close to what they were in vx, they can't quite be the same due to 2 inflation values and a correction value, instead on a singular inflation value.
  • Class Equipment and Weapons: There is a single weapon type and single Armor type: General. VX did not use Weapon Types or Equipment Types, thus I could not convert a class' weapon/equipment equip restrictions. You'll have to set this up by yourself.
  • Skills: Skill Types were not in VX, so I couldn't setup skill types per skill. Thus, I created one skill type: Skills. All skills are included within this subset.
  • States: State slip damage, State nonresistance, State offset by opposite, and State reduce hit ratio are not supported yet. All will be supported in the next version.
  • States: Cannot use magic, Cannot Move, and Cannot Move or Evade are all changed to Unable to Act. The editor does not support the former 3.
  • RTP Graphics/Sounds: You need to copy all VX RTP materials into your directory OR select new graphics/sounds for each and every one of the occurrences in your projects. This includes but not limited to: Events, Common Events, and the Database.

To Do

• Fix all of the above issues/oddities to the best of my ability.

Comments/Suggestions/Etc

I would love if you'd give your feedback for this utility. Thanks.

Also, It would be wise to go through and fix stuff to your general liking within your newly converted project, as this is still a program and cannot do the work of a human. That being said, happy rm-img. :)

Credit Chaz Domerese, aka FenixFyreX.

The Program

Here's a mediafire link: vx2ace.exe

Also, this scriptlet is necessary for the ace system to function AFTER conversion:

class Game_BattlerBase

def attack_skill_id
$data_skills ||= load_data("Data/Skills.rvdata2")
text = "_.::~|-ATTACK-|~::._"
id = $data_skills.find {|s| s.note.include?(text)}.id rescue 1
return id
 end

def guard_skill_id
$data_skills ||= load_data("Data/Skills.rvdata2")
text = "_.::~|-DEFEND-|~::._"
id = $data_skills.find {|s| s.note.include?(text)}.id rescue 2
 end
end

The Skills with the notes:

_.::~|-ATTACK-|~::._"

_.::~|-DEFEND-|~::._"

DO NOT REMOVE THOSE NOTETAGS. This will probably result in a crash of the game, or improper Actor and Enemy function. If these notetags are not found in the respective skill, the default Ace ones will be used(1 and 2).

Edited by FenixFyreX

Yes. All event commands are converted, including the ones that have changed:

Change Variable

Conditional Branch

Transfer Player

Show Animation

Show Balloon Icon

Shop Processing

Change HP

Change MP

Change State

Full Recovery

Change EXP

Change Level

Change Param

Change Skill

Force Action

This isn't good enough Fenix, wait it doesn't have the required AI to convert every custom script? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME TRY AGAIN. >_>

All jokes aside... this is fantastic bro! I can definitely use this to convert my all evented mini-project thanks to you. Well done. :)

You've blown us all away again, good friend!

I do seem to be having an issue though, but its probably just that I'm doing something stupid, when I select the ini of the vx project, and then the ini of the vx ace project, and begin the process of conversion, it shuts down prematurely with no "Finished! Press Enter to exit." dialog appearing.

After Its closed and I open the project, the maps are empty and blank, and the rtp is unchanged. The only discernable difference is a vx_ compat tileset is added and my maps are there, but only there names.

Maybe this is an incompatibility with XP. I made sure i had no rpg maker applications open or any such, I don't know what the deal is, i added the scriptlet before conversion, I created a fresh ace project, I don't know whats up.

Alright, let me run through a few requirements:

You need both the Ace RTP and VX RTP installed.

You need your VX project, and a fresh, new Ace project. Both should NOT be open.

The Ace project's Tileset.rvdata2 needs to be present, or the program will crash.

I have a feeling I know what the problem is. See, the table autotile in VX(in A2, the 4 far-right autotiles) are on layer 0 of the map. In Ace, they are drawn on layer 1. I created a search that tries to find the first 0 layer ground tile in the immediate area of the table tile.Unfortunately, I think my method is broken. I'll have a look into it, and get back to you. Sorry about that guys.

Also, you add the scriptlet to your Ace project, not the VX project. Lol.

EDIT: Grab the newest version in the OP.

Edited by FenixFyreX

This is really awesome!! But im having the same problem as BizarreMonkey.

Map file names are present in the project, but they are all blank. :( and nothing else converts that i can tell.

I gave Fenix a copy of both my VX project and the VX Ace project I tried it with.

Its very odd behaviour, going by Fenix, and he is not yet quite sure what is causing it, be patient folks.

Edited by BizarreMonkey

So I've found why the editor is broken. Its my fault, really; my semantics were off. I basically loaded all rgss2 classes into my program, loaded the vx stuff, then undefined all rgss2 stuff. Then, I iterated through each map and database object, made a new rgss3 object, and copied each rgss2 object's info to the corresponding rgss3 object. Unfortunately, when you remove the class of an object, odd effects can start happening(especially if you still use those items).

I am rewriting the program as we speak. I'll have it up before Friday Tuesday, I promise.

Edited by FenixFyreX

Alright. vx2ace.exe version 1.2 is now open for download. It works for BizarreMonkey's project, tested and true.

The system is now a full GUI, so its not a command prompt anymore hahaha

Edited by FenixFyreX

Opened VX Project: Test project.

Opened Ace Project: Project2.

Converting all objects...

All objects are converted to data. Converting to rgss3...

Conversion was successful! Try it out if you wish.

The last three lines were all shown in less than two seconds, and nothing was converted, even though there were enough files to be converted, and lots of graphics in the graphics folder.

I did everything you told me to do, but it's still not working :(.

Same problem as above, but when i try to open it, it comes up with...

'Failed to load map info data'

Ah yes, forgot to mention that, it does pop up with that message when trying to open the project file.

It works. Thanks.

One minor, minor problem though :P. My VX project's name had the character "½" in it and so the converter was unable to generate it as the folder's name and it crashed. I simply changed the name of the VX folder and it worked. But I had to do a quick print-screen of the command prompt before it disappeared to figure out what the problem was.

This software saved me doing over my world map!

Edited by Seiryuki

Not a thing is different for me. I don't know why, but it did the exact thing it did before.

Edited by BizarreMonkey

Bizarre, I don't see how, because I tested it with your project; everything worked fine. It still pops up the failed to load map info data?