WCouillard

Final Fantasy Styled Battle Log v3.06 [Updated 09-04-15]

VE Animated Battle + VE Damage Popup + My script = works

VE Damage Popup + My script = Enemies won't collapse properly.

I've made a project with just the Basic, Popup and my script to work on a fix with. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

I am currently working on a huge update that will add compatibility to many popular battle system scripts, including full compatibility and control over default battle system messages, Yanfly Engine Ace, VE Animated Battle, Fomar's ATB and Tankentai SBS. It is almost finished, I just need to test it. A lot.

So far, Fomar's ATB and Tankentai have been behaving nicely. The rewrite for the DBS is almost done, and I will end it by fixing this collapse issue with VE Damage Popup. Stay tuned!

EDIT: If there are any among you who are using the Theolized battle system, would you volunteer to test the new script when it is released? I want to make sure it works with as many as possible.

Edited by WCouillard

Version 3.00 update is here!

This should fix the issue with VE Damage Popup where enemies would not collapse when they died, as well as adds a lot of compatibility patches and some new features.

I must stress that this version of the script is still being tested for compatibility issues so please report any issues you find in this thread so I can get to work on fixing them. I am trying to make this script compatible with many different popular scripts, so everyone has the chance to utilize it.

Version 3.00 update is here!

This should fix the issue with VE Damage Popup where enemies would not collapse when they died, as well as adds a lot of compatibility patches and some new features.

I must stress that this version of the script is still being tested for compatibility issues so please report any issues you find in this thread so I can get to work on fixing them. I am trying to make this script compatible with many different popular scripts, so everyone has the chance to utilize it.

Nice! I'll go grab it right away! I am actually using CP's Battle Engine which has 5 different modes, one of them being sideview, I will test your script with those modes and tell you about it ^^

Ok, regarding CP's Battle Engine, first, I gotta say that the sideview is not one of it modes, it can be activated no matter what mode is chosen, the different modes just kinda change the Battle Status and stuff(it was a mistake in my last post to say that the SBS was one of the modes). And so of it fives mode, this script is fully compatible with the first four, the fifth one is not compatible for obvious reasons:

This new view mode replicates the battle system of RPG Makers 2000 and VX.  This includes such things as using the bottom window to display battle info and opening skill and item windows in the bottom window.

It makes the Battle log text to be shown in the bottom window so, of course it would collide with this script.

3f943434df20cc6647c38ba82b218a84.png

But so far CP's Battle Engine is fully compatible with this script as longs as it's using one of the first four modes, and I think that compatiblity with Mode5 is unnecesary.

And now the bad news... I still can't get rid of the Enemies's Collapse bug with VE's Damage Popup, not in my project nor on a blank project. (tried with setting the patch both to true and false, but as long as the Damage Popup is in my Script's List, the bug will still show up). Although, since now we can make the battle log display the damage and stuff, making it not necesarry to use with a damage pop up script, I gotta say that I am really satisfied with the result so far.

Here, you can see using only the Basic Module, VE Damage Popup and FF Battle Log script works as intended.

post-9189-0-08876200-1440981710_thumb.png

post-9189-0-61562600-1440981716_thumb.png

The enemies collapse as they normally should.

If you're still having issues with it, and have your settings correct, then you're going to have to start disabling scripts until you find the culprit. At that point, I can work on a patch for you.

Just out of curiosity, are you still using another script to skip Battle Log messages? The new update to my script makes those scripts unnecessary. That may be where your conflict lies.

Edited by WCouillard

Well, I am out of words now, because of your last post (and after making another blank project with only VE Basic Module, VE Damage Popup and your script) I found out that even deleting YOUR script, the bug persists, so it may be the basic module or damage popup's fault... (Don't know, maybe something went wrong with copy/paste)

To think that this problem may have been solved a long ago, I am really sorry for all of this. (But I am still very thankful with the new update, I am really thinking in no using any popup script as your script does all I need and in a way that fits perfectly with CP's Battle Engine.)

Hmmm... maybe it has something to do with your settings within VE Damage Popup. Can you copy/paste your settings from it? That might help. Are you also using the same versions of the VE scripts I posted in that image? I made sure to write them down.

Basic Module 1.35 and Damage Popup 1.13

My settings are just as it comes, since I tried to use it because of your script, and yes, I have those versions. And already tried copying again from Victor's Google drive and the bug persist, I really have no idea why is this happening.

OK, here's what we'll do. For now we'll leave it alone and assume it's an isolated incident until we can figure out why. If anyone else is experiencing the same problem under the same conditions, at least we know it's an actual bug with the scripts and not, say, your version of VX Ace or something.

I agree with that, specially since it wasn't on my plans to use VE's Damage Popup anyways. But, can I ask for one last thing? is a compatibility patch for this Popup script: https://cphouseset.wordpress.com/scripts/cp_battleview/ since it is the most compatible one with CP's Battle Engine, and when using it with your script, it won't give any error, but the Popups just won't show up.

EDIT: Also, I already tested your script with Theo's battle system, well, only with the two demos he provides (since I planned first to go with that system but ended up dropping it) and with the first demo, the system itself, it works perfectly fine, but the Animation Sample demo somehow doesn't. It would just skip all the animations and action sequences, it will just do the damage with the character and enemies doing nothing but the stand animation. The version I used to do the test was v1.4.

Edited by GreeNRM

I have updated the script. I didn't encounter any problems using the script and CP Damage Popup 1.2a after I applied my patches to my script, but I noticed that damage didn't "pop" on Actors; only enemies. I'm not sure if that is normal behavior for CP Damage Popup. Let me know.

Almost sure it isn't, also the way I get it, no popup won't show up at all unless a state is inflicted at the same time, for example, the damage popup will always show up when someone dies and when it happens, the damage popup appears twice, be it an actor or an enemy, either way, I get no popup at all

EDIT: Your script is also compatible with MOG's Battle HUD (couldn't believe, only a few are compatible with this guy's flashy scripts) but the Log will always show up at the left.

EDIT2: found how to move the log, In MOG's Script, at line 985 change this:

BATTLE_LOG_POSITION = [0,0]
Edited by GreeNRM

I tested it with only CP Popup and my script, with my script under CP Popup, and had no issues. Popups weren't appearing twice, it showed damage to enemies, states inflicted, etc.

Try it with only the two scripts. If you're having an issue, I gotta think there's something up with your version of Ace because you had issues with the VE Popup too even after I tested it and it was working as intended.

I tested it with only CP Popup and my script, with my script under CP Popup, and had no issues. Popups weren't appearing twice, it showed damage to enemies, states inflicted, etc.

Try it with only the two scripts. If you're having an issue, I gotta think there's something up with your version of Ace because you had issues with the VE Popup too even after I tested it and it was working as intended.

Silly me, because I already was thinking like you, that there was something with my VXAce version, I didn't think of trying something as basic as that. It works perfect now, all popups appear, with both, enemies and actors, only one time, states show up just fine. well, you can say that your script is fully compatible with CP's Battle Engine now ^^ Thanks for everything

Updated 09-04-15 to version 3.06. This update changed the way a lot of things were written, adds a few features and requires less input from users. Skills without a "use" message will automatically be omitted rather than needing the user to identify which skill IDs are omitted. There is now the option to use a different font for skills/items used by actors or enemies.

def use_item is now aliased, which did unfortunately negatively impact some compatibility, namely with Tankentai SBS. Tankentai has it's own built in version of the Battle Log, so it's not such a great loss. Compatibility with other battle scripts which modify use_item (which is a lot) should be fully compatible with this script now.

Still very interested in bug reports! Send 'em if you find anything wrong and enjoy!

I don't see the option to display the actor's name when a skill is being used. I've looked through every line and even tried adding to the script in the Display Skill/Item Use section, but haven't found anything that works. Is there supposed to be a tag or a setting within the script to turn it on?

On 11/23/2017 at 11:15 PM, buddysievers said:

Hey William,

is it possible to add the preemptive and surprise messages to the battle

log so that instead of the message window the battle log would pop off?

That would be such a nice addition!

These are not default functions of the Window_BattleLog class, so I would make that a new script outside of this, if it were made. I'll keep it in mind.

Hi William,

Nice script, very customisable, I appreciate the existence of the Enemy Window.

Is it possible to make the window appear just for 1 or 2 seconds for skills ?

For now, the Window remains until the end of the animation and that's disturbing for long animations (I have super attacks that last almost 200 frames ^^).

I tried to add "Wait" several times and "Clear" in your script and it works, but it freezes the battle until the Window is cleared.

I tried to modify the "MESSAGE_SPEED" too but it doesn't affect that duration at all.

Maybe I have missed something ?

It was a feature I was planning to add, but could never get it working correctly. Sadly, it probably won't happen unless someone more knowledgeable than me pulls it off. However, if I do get it working that way, I will be sure to update the script here.