WCouillard

Final Fantasy Styled Battle Log v3.06 [Updated 09-04-15]

Final Fantasy Styled Battle Log v3.06
By William Couillard

Introduction
This script changes the default behavior and aesthetics of Window_BattleLog to resemble the way the Battle Log window would look in a Final Fantasy game.

Features
- 1.00: Customizable opacity for the Battle Log window.
- 1.00: Define skills that will not show up in the Battle Log window (i.e. normal attacks, defending, etc.).
- 1.01: Updated to include options to change the Battle Log window width and alignment.
- 1.01: Updated to include option to show Actor/Enemy names prior to skill message or not.

- 1:02: Bugfixes.

- 1.03: Bugfixes.

- 1.04: Updated to allow different windowskins for actor and enemy attacks.

- 2.00: Rewrote script. Needless features removed. Icons in skill and item names showing now. Possible to use different fonts for enemy and ally skills.

- 2.01: Forgot to include an overwritten method in v2.00. Updated to reflect that change (this should also stop the 'blank window' issue).

- 2.02: Fixed a bug where changing the Y offset would only move the window's position, and not the skill/item icon and text.

- 2.03: Fixed a bug where default battle sounds like recovery and evasion weren't playing with skills or items.

- 2.04: Bugfix for default battle system, correcting an error where enemies wouldn't collapse when they die.

- 3.00: Complete overhaul, which now allows users of the default battle system to control which messages in the Battle Log will display, as well as compatibility with various popular battle scripts such as VE Animated Battle, VE Damage Popup, Yanfly Engine Ace, Fomar's ATB, and Tankentai SBS. This version of the script is still in development for compatibility so PLEASE REPORT ANY ISSUES. In addition, more options have been added, such as setting an X offset to the Battle Log window, and text alignment options for default Battle Log messages and custom skill messages.

- 3.01: Bugfixes.

- 3.02: Compatibility for CP Damage Popup

- 3.03: Code cleanup

- 3.04: Streamlined compatibility for scripts using $imported. Users no longer have to identify the scripts they are using within the module, except in the case of Fomar's ATB which does not use $imported.

- 3.05: Aliased the use_item method from Scene_Battle to support compatibility with many scripts. Unfortunately, compatibility with Tankentai SBS is no longer included.

- 3.06: Streamlined the ignored skills code to automatically omit any skills that do not contain a "use" message. Different font option added for actor/enemy skill/item usage.

Screenshots
post-9189-0-43983300-1418256046_thumb.png

How to Use
Simply paste the script ABOVE Main and BELOW "Materials" section. It is a good idea to post this script BELOW any scripts which have had compatibility patches added. Make sure you set any included patches you need to true!

Compatibility

This script almost completely rewrites the way Window_BattleLog functions, so it's a good idea to place this script BELOW any script which also overwrites methods from Window_BattleLog.

Script
Pastebin Link: http://pastebin.com/i1uXe2NN

Credit and Thanks
- Swish, for the idea.
- Keith Brewer, for some coding help.

- KilloZapIt, for some coding help.

- AlliedG, for testing.

- Punisher667, for testing.

- Daniel Babineau, for providing bug reports for Tankentai SBS.

- GreeNRM, for providing bug reports and testing for CP Battle Engine/CP Damage Popup.

Edited by WCouillard

Arr god damn you! I've been working and deconstructing the other FF-style log script from White Flute I guess for days and now you come along and put this one up which achieved just the same effect! xD

There are many ways to waste time with RPG Maker, but trying to modify scripts before someone comes along and posts a fine one is certainly one of the most aggravating ^^ so of course, don't be damned, but a big thanks instead!

Edit: I only miss one thing I could easily do in the other script: Use codes like \c[14]xxx\c[0] in a skill message box which changed the color accordingly in the window. If you wanted to add this, I'd say thanks again ;D

Edited by Caveras

You can still do that with VE: Control Codes and VE: Control Text.

I made this script months ago, I just didn't finish all the features I planned, so I never released it. By all means, if you want to create one, I am all for it.

You can still do that with VE: Control Codes and VE: Control Text.

I made this script months ago, I just didn't finish all the features I planned, so I never released it. By all means, if you want to create one, I am all for it.

Nah, I only modified the other script, so that wouldn't really be my creation, and it also clashes with a lot of scripts by default, so there would be too much trouble instead of just using your script ^^

The VE scripts I didn't want to add since I'm happy enough with Yanfly's Message System, so that's why I asked, but it's okay if it doesn't support that one feature.

@aeonhunter: The HUD is another script I wrote that will be released as soon as I finish it. It's still missing a few things.

@Caveras: I use YEA Message System and VE Control Codes/Control Text works just fine with it. I haven't had any issues.

The script has been updated to version 1.01.

Updated to allow customizable width of Battle Log window, and change the window's alignment to left, center, or right. Also added the option to show the actor/enemy name prior to a skill's message (default battle log behavior) or not (FF style).

Awesome, though it get's kinda annoying when EVERYTHING makes a message pop up.

I removed the word for attacking enemies with your weapon, and you still get the box showing up.

Awesome though, it's useful.. now all we need is an old school Final Fantasy battle results script lol

@ Lionheart: Paste the script under the Materials section in your script editor. It should work. if it doesn't, there is no reason why it wouldn't so its some sort of mistake on your end and I have no idea how to fix it unless you can explain what you did.

@ The actual topic: Random, but I would totally play a game where your party was Reeve, Vicks, Wedge and Cid XD

@ Lionheart: Paste the script under the Materials section in your script editor. It should work. if it doesn't, there is no reason why it wouldn't so its some sort of mistake on your end and I have no idea how to fix it unless you can explain what you did.

@ The actual topic: Random, but I would totally play a game where your party was Reeve, Vicks, Wedge and Cid XD

That 's what I did ... but nothing happens!

@ William C:Could you do me a small demo!?

This script I'm interested!

Edited by Lionheart

I'd love to use this, but I think I ran into a visual bug with Yanfly's Battle Engine Ace. When the damage/healing popup text appears, the text in the battle log disappears but the window stays there for a moment.

(The text also disappears early when I use skills containing action sequences for Yami's Battle Engine Symphony, but I'm not sure if that's also caused by the same bug...)

Awesome, though it get's kinda annoying when EVERYTHING makes a message pop up.

I removed the word for attacking enemies with your weapon, and you still get the box showing up.

Awesome though, it's useful.. now all we need is an old school Final Fantasy battle results script lol

You can set any skill in the database to NOT bring up the Battle Log window. It's right there in the module.

That 's what I did ... but nothing happens!

@ William C:Could you do me a small demo!?

This script I'm interested!

I don't understand your problem, because pasting the script into a new project like you said does not cause any problem. The Battle Log window still functions as it should in the script. Post a screenshot of your problem.

@

Lionheart

His script is not for what he is showing in the first picture.

It's not a Battle Script. It just lays a shadow behind the text IN BATTLE on the upper half.

As he wrote a above:

@aeonhunter: The HUD is another script I wrote that will be released as soon as I finish it. It's still missing a few things.

@

Lionheart

His script is not for what he is showing in the first picture.

It's not a Battle Script. It just lays a shadow behind the text IN BATTLE on the upper half.

As he wrote a above:

This I understand ... But it does not show the shadow and transparency that there is to be set in the script!

It works fine for me.

All it's supposed to do is replace the battle log, when ever you cast a magic spell, a box will pop up at the top of the screen and say the name of the spell about to be cast... as an example i mean... that's all this script does.. but it does it well...

In your own words:

- Customizable opacity for the Battle Log window.

- Define skills that will not show up in the Battle Log window (i.e. normal attacks, defending, etc.).

- Actor and Enemy name prefix omitted before showing Skill or Item name.

- "Customizable opacity for the Battle Log window".

Where 'the opacity that I set??