Tsukihime

Large Choices - "built-in" multiple choices

Large Choices

-Tsukihime

This script combines groups of "show choice" options together as one large command. This allows you to create more than 4 choices by simply creating several "show choice" commands in a row. No script call required!

Download

Get it at Hime Works

Usage

Adding choices

Add a show choice command and fill it out as usual.

large_choice1.jpg

If you want more choices, just add another one, and fill it out as usual.

large_choice2.jpg

Only show choice commands that appear immediately after a previous show choice command on the same level will be merged together.

Cancel choice

The choice editor comes with 6 options when you press the "cancel" button

1. Disallow

2. Choice 1

3. Choice 2

4. Choice 3

5. Choice 4

6. Branch

Each "show choice" command comes with their own options. All you need to do is select the cancel choice in the appropriate "show choice" command and the script sets it up for you! You should set the other commands to "disallow" otherwise I will simply choose the last one.

For the branch choice, all cancel branches will be executed if you choose that, so you should only create a cancel branch on the very last group of choices.

Manual Combine

large_choices3.jpg

There is an option in the configuration section called "Manual Combine". By default, this is set to `false`, which means all choice commands will be automatically combined together. If you would like to be able to manually specify whether choice commands should be combined or not, you can set this to `true`.

When manual combining is enabled, before your first large show choice command, you must make a script call

combine_choices
In order to combine the following show choice commands together. This must be done before each set of large choices. Edited by Tsukihime

whoa no need to mess with conditional branch variable anymore. nice one :D.

is there any limit of the choices? (beside the graphical problems)

Edited by estriole

Oooh yes! Is there any way this could be compatible with conditional choices? I've been hunting for some way to basically make a guy have a pile of 'question' options that only appear as the game goes along and his choice box changes to show whichever 7 (and a next option if necessary) he has at the moment) Current conditional choice scripts just make it so I can have up to 8 choices and some dissappear if a variable isn't met, so if the guy had 10 questions they'd have to be laid out like 1-7, 8-10 in two windows... so if you only unlocked half of them but not in exact order it could look really whacked out with window 1 having one choice and window 2 having four of them. Basically I want some way so that if window 1 has less than the full 7 choices then the ones from window 2 spill over.

whoa no need to mess with conditional branch variable anymore. nice one :D/>/>/>/>.

is there any limit of the choices? (beside the graphical problems)

No, you can have as many as you want. As long as you can see them.

Oooh yes! Is there any way this could be compatible with conditional choices? I've been hunting for some way to basically make a guy have a pile of 'question' options that only appear as the game goes along and his choice box changes to show whichever 7 (and a next option if necessary) he has at the moment) Current conditional choice scripts just make it so I can have up to 8 choices and some dissappear if a variable isn't met, so if the guy had 10 questions they'd have to be laid out like 1-7, 8-10 in two windows... so if you only unlocked half of them but not in exact order it could look really whacked out with window 1 having one choice and window 2 having four of them. Basically I want some way so that if window 1 has less than the full 7 choices then the ones from window 2 spill over.

It would be similar to me "hiding" choices, but keeping track of how many choices have been drawn so far.

The hard part is automatically creating multiple windows, though that might be easier for developers because then you don't have to worry about splitting it up yourself.

Once I update the choice options to be an add-on for this script I will see if I can add an option that allows you to choose how many choices should appear on a single page. You would set an option that says how many choices will appear on a page, and alternatively specify any custom text for "next" and "prev" options.

This would basically be me splitting up the pages for you, with a nice way to go between pages.

Edited by Tsukihime

Script updated to support the "branch" cancel choice.

For the branch choice, all cancel branches will be executed if you choose that, so you should only create a cancel branch on the very last group of choices.

Edited by Tsukihime

First off, I really love this script and kindly thank you, Tsukihime, for it's creation. ^_^

I have possibly encountered a bug though, because after 13 choices, the subsequent choices do not function (are not recognized) correctly.  Yes, they show up as actual choices, but every step afterwards has no effect and the system acts like the choice was never made at all.  I've tested it thoroughly many times and the magic number (limit) is always 13. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  I can't find any errors in my logic since I made a very simple test called choose the day and have it return by telling me the day I picked.  If I did mess it up I'd be happy to know what I did wrong..

In other words:

"Choose the calender day."

[Note: Everything is on disallow cancel apart from the very last set of choices (which I even removed later to test if that was the issue, but it was not).]

If Choice: 1st then set CONTROL VARIABLE to (Operand) Script: "1st"

If Choice: 2nd ^

If Choice: 3rd ^

If Choice: 4th ^

If Choice: 12th

If Choice: (Continue to 13+) then Conditional Branch for Choices 14+ (and repeat the above from the first line)

etc.

Result:

"The day you picked is (VARIABLE)"

I can choose day 1-12 or day 19-25 (the 13th choice was "Continue" aka a conditional branch to carry on the choices since they are pushed off screen) and it will give my answer back.  Day 14-18 however do not work at all, and day 26-30 do not work either.  However 1-12 and 19-25 (yes, 30-31 worked too) worked completely fine and the result always told me the correct day that I picked.  So my theory is that the script for some reason reads the first 13 choices just fine, skips the next 4 choices, then reads the next 13...and so on.

I suppose it's not too important since I found a workaround by making a second page of commands (by exiting the process when continue is picked and setting a self switch).  Still, I'm curious to know if I made a mistake or the script itself is not completely functional.

Thank you for your time reading.

Edited by Spearnear

Issue has been resolved and the script updated.

The options were simply not numbered correctly. Thanks for the report.

Notes

Yes, it seems to be skipping the first "Show Choices" command in the branch for some reason.

If you had multiple branched choice options like

choice 1
  blah
choice 2
  "Here are more choices"
  choice 3
    blah
  choice 4
    blah
  choice 5
    blah
  choice 6
choice 3

EDIT: I have found the issue.

If you consider the actual branching, the choices are numbered as follows:

choice 1 (0)
  blah
choice 2 (1)
  "Here are more choices"
  choice 3 (0)
    blah
  choice 4 (1)
    blah
  choice 5 (2)
    blah
  choice 6 (3)
choice 3 (2)

It starts with 0 for programming reasons.

In any case, my script is incorrectly assigning the numbers as follows:

choice 1 (0)
  blah
choice 2 (1)
  "Here are more choices"
  choice 3 (2)
    blah
  choice 4 (3)
    blah
  choice 5 (2)
    blah
  choice 6 (3)
choice 3 (4)

Basically, the first show choices in the inner branch is treated as part of the outer set of options, which is wrong. The bug should be fixed quickly since I have found the problem.

Edited by Tsukihime

I am kind of concerned with the "scrolling" choice option window that I have built into the script, as there may be compatibility issues.

I may remove it and separate it into its own script.

Nice video and commentary.

Seeing the scripts in action is so much better than reading a wall of text and wondering how it works.

Looking forward to the next set of scripts that you'll showcase.

Edited by Tsukihime

Nice video and commentary.

Seeing the scripts in action is so much better than reading a wall of text and wondering how it works.

Looking forward to the next set of scripts that you'll showcase.

yep, nd thx :D

Script updated

There is an option in the configuration section called "Manual Combine". By default, this is set to `false`, which means all choice commands will be automatically combined together. If you would like to be able to manually specify whether choice commands should be combined or not, you can set this to `true`.

When manual combining is enabled, before your first large show choice command, you must make a script call

combine_choices
In order to combine the following show choice commands together. This must be done before each set of large choices.

large_choices3.jpg

Got a question.

How would I move the choice bar location?

Like if I want it to show on the right side of the screen instead of the left side?

I'm asking as I currently have a HUD that is on the top left of the screen and the Large Choices is interfering with the HUD.

I have to 'hide' the HUD whenever I want to have a large choice selection and there are a couple choice selections that are so far at least 9 choices long.

The choices by default should be shown on the right side.

This script does not provide any functionality for setting the window's position.

You can hardcode it so that the window always appears on the right side but you will need another script if you want to specify it for specific choices.