DP3

RGSS3 Scripting Tutorial Videos

Only a week and a half into my holidays and I'm up to the point where I'm trying to find more productive ways to procrastinate.

So here is my latest scheme. It is my hope to start from the very beginning and go all the way up to RegEXP (as that was my ultimate goal when I started scripting).

Edit: Not on holidays anymore, but still continue when I can...

Tut 01 ~ Variables

Tut 02 ~ Variable Types and IF Statements

Tut 03 ~ Methods & Functions

Tut 04 ~ Method Arguments

Tut 05 ~ Boolean Operators

Tut 06 ~ The 'Return' Keyword

Tut 07 ~ Playing Audio (BGM, BGS, ME, SE)

Tut 08 ~ Arrays

Tut 09 ~ Classes

Tut 10 ~ The 'New' Keyword

Tut 11 ~ A little on Instance Variables and some more on 'New'

Tut 12 ~ Class Inheritance

Tut 13 ~ More on Class Inheritance

Tut 14 ~ The 'Super' Keyword

Tut 15 ~ Hierachy of Classes and Methods

Tut 16 ~ Aliasing Methods

Tut 17 ~ First Script: Collision Sound

Tut 18 ~ 'If', 'Unless', and the 'Case' keyword

Tut 19 ~ Loops

Tut 20 ~ More Loops and the 'Break' Keyword

Tut 21 ~ Concatenating Strings

Tut 22 ~ Gsub (Replacing Text)

Tut 23 ~ Modules

Tut 24 ~ Module Methods

Tut 25 ~ Some Altenate 'If' Statement Code and .is_a?

Tut 26 ~ Going Through the Workings of the Default Scripts

Tut 27 ~ Ternary Operators

Tut 28 ~ Second Script: Play SE on Balloon Pop-Up

Tut 29 ~ Aliasing Module Methods

Tut 30 ~ Creating Command Window Options

Tut 31 ~ Creating a Window and Drawing Text

Tut 32 ~ Using Script Calls in Events

Tut 33 ~ Creating a Custom Scene

Tut 34 ~ Using Sprites and Textures

Tut 35 ~ attr_reader, attr_writer, attr_accessor and Saving Variables in a Save File

Tut 36 ~ Writing a Basic Word-Wrapper

Tut 37 ~ Finishing the Synopsis Scene

Tut 38 ~ Writing Script Instructions

Tut 39 ~ Accessing Pre-Made/Internal Data

Tut 40 ~ 2D|3D Arrays

Tut 41 ~ Hash

Tut 42 ~ Horizontal Commands, Animated Sprites, Window Entrances

Tut 43 ~ Scrolling Text in a Window

Tut 44 ~ Third Script: Sound Test Scene (Part One)

Tut 45 ~ Third Script: Sound Test Scene (Part Two)

Tut 46 ~ Third Script: Sound Test Scene (Part Three)

Tut 47 ~ Third Script: Sound Test Scene (Part Four)

Tut 48 ~ Third Script: Sound Test Scene (Final)

Tut 49 ~ Structs

Tut 50 ~ Getting Access to the Contents of Noteboxes

Tut 51 ~ Regular Expressions

Tut 52 ~ Getting Multiple Regex Matches

Tut 53 ~ Event Commands and Comment Tags

Tut 54 ~ Creating a Core Script

Tut 55 ~ Fiber.new { explain_me() }

Edited by DP3

Seems good but you could have explained a little bit more about variables since there are alot more:

Local, Instances, Class, Global, Constants, Pseudo etc.

The ones you didn't described do the following:

• Class variables: Those are shared beetween a instance of a class.
  • Constants: Uppercase variables like FOO and can be reassinged after initialization but will throw an error by doing so.
  • Pseudo: Like nil, true, false, self etc.

Of course, there are some pre-defined variables and constants but I am not going to explain that any further.

Hope that helps and good luck continuing making videos! :)

Re-upped the first three and included Constants.

Not getting into Class Variables and Pseudo until it's time for them, don't want to blow too much info into people's heads at one time.

Thank you for the feedback :)

I just thought I'd point out that Constants can be changed. If you define something like EXAMPLE = "test" in module CSCA, you can make a script event command call with the code CSCA::EXAMPLE = "test2" and it will change it to "test2". (you can test with the code msgbox(CSCA::EXAMPLE) in a script event command)

The thing you can't do with constants is easily define/redefine them inside a method (thus why it's not really practical to change their values to a scripter, but it can be useful for users of scripts to change some options mid-game).

Be advised that whilst that's true, you'd get errors for trying that when scripting.

You need to use a method called 'const_set' to change a constant in this case.

On the other hand, they're called constants so that they're NOT changed, that's their purpose.

Been watching these videos DP3,  you manage to get good information across while not making it too hard to understand or sound too complicated.

Also, he has finished the loops tutorial.

I just wanted to say DP3, I just watched the first 3 videos, and I have to say you have already removed a lot of the barriers that made scripting seem so intimidating to me the first time I tried to learn it. In fifteen minutes, I've learned more about scripting then I have in 3 years of being on these forums and using RPG Maker. Thank you, and keep up the good work! :D

Thank you for these tutorials, I was really sceptical about giving scripting a shot since just looking at them makes my brain melt. But you've managed to put it together in a way where any regular moron like myself can understand it.

These tutorials are great! I've been learning more easily than with the other tutorials I came across.

I thought I'd rely on other people's scripts for my projects, but sometimes they conflict each others, and I thought it'd be nice if I learned how to script and understand better how they work and what the terms are. That way I'd be able to solve problems I'm having, or even create my own Scripts and share them.

Ah, you're here too, good on ya. Wicked tutorials, I've been watching them and learning myself. Edit: I thought I found it pretty easy to follow your training, as well. RGSS is difficult :P

Edited by Deej

Hey, I wanted to suggest another thing that people may need explained. Hashtables. I learned them a long time ago, but it took some time. Other people might like to know them.

They're one of those things that at first you're like, I don't understand. But after you learn it, you wonder how you didn't figure it out right away.

Thanks for the videos. They are proving to be a great source for us beginner's to RGSS3. Do you think you can upload them in some hosting so they are downloadable. I would love to watch them in my laptop/ipad while offline :)

Hey, wanted to suggest regexpr sometime in the near future. It's a very confusing heap of stuff there and yet so necessary for notetagging.

I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for the videos. They are proving to be a great source for us beginner's to RGSS3. Do you think you can upload them in some hosting so they are downloadable. I would love to watch them in my laptop/ipad while offline :)

It's quite easy to download videos off youtube.

But I won't do that because you should be trying out the code yourself whilst you're watching them. You don't really learn anything if you watch me code without trying it yourself.

Hey, wanted to suggest regexpr sometime in the near future. It's a very confusing heap of stuff there and yet so necessary for notetagging.

I'd certainly appreciate it.

Will get to it eventually :)

Probably soon...I don't know, but we'll get there.

Edited by DP3