Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

Screenshot Critique Thread

Welcome to the Official Screenshot Thread. Here you can post any screenshots related to maps, battles, title pages, anything in-game related you believe needs advice. Also, to ensure that you'll get the correct feedback include information regarding what the screenshot is about.

Rules:

• You must leave critique on ANY previous screenshot. It DOES NOT have to be the last one you see. 

If you have already left feedback on a previous post, but then post your own image to critique. You are STILL required to give feedback to a DIFFERENT screenshot. (I cannot stress this enough ~kayden997)

This is simply due to respect for other developers. It's not exactly hard to leave some advice on a previous post. It is common courtesy. We are all here to help each other, as is the point of this thread. 

Basically, to avoid any problems. just leave Critique on a screenshot in the SAME post as your thread. If you want to leave additional Feedback, without screenshots that is brilliant, however you are STILL required to post more if you post a different screenshot. 

• No random Chit-Chat. A Screenshot isn't required but discussions between two members should be done via PM
  • Spoiler Large Images. 
  • Wait 30 posts until you repost the same Screenshot. 
  • Do not double post. If no one has replied edit your current post and replace the screenshot

All other Global Rules Apply

If you have any other questions then feel free to PM @Jonnie91 or @kayden997

So I guess I'll go first: 

This is a screenshot from mine and Shaddows second game Lullaby. This is a Decision system. The mapping is only a placeholder. It will NOT look like that....Any feedback?

Easter-Egg-e1398025881832.png

Edit 7/2/13: If you have a series of screenshots you would like critiqued at once (3 or more screenshots), you may create your own topic in this forum and post them there instead of posting them to this thread. If you have less than 3 screenshots ready to be critiqued, then you would continue to use this thread.

I like it, but it would be nice to have some context for the decisions. I'm guessing they'll be changing depending on what your responding to? If not then the majority of those wouldn't be appropriate as 3/4 of them are negative emotions (in a way). Also, things like Honest or Reluctant would only work within a specific context.

I'm also not a big fan of the placement, I don't think it should be placed center screen so that it potentially hides the people behind it. Maybe move it up. It would work well as a ribbon along the top and bottom of the screen (ribbon as in things such as the options across the top in programs such as Microsoft office applications (Word, etc.)). Just a few ideas.

First off, very cool. I'm glad to see my old "Hard Design" forum idea from RRR find it's way over here. :)  I did vouch and push for it pretty hard during my moderating there.

It's a great place for concept work, which is a large part of game design, that extends past theory.  It's highly aesthetic, but can be aural as well. It's the draft just before we reach the final design.

I think Niko hit the nail on the head here. It definitely should be off center screen. However, if you compacted it or made it more subtle then it could remain in the center screen. Subtle would be increasing opacity of some parts of it, shrinking text sizes, bringing it closer to the center screen, and other ways to make it still our center focus but allowing us to admire the view around it.

I'd also suggest putting icons next to each button that represents the emotion. Though some of those emotions are more complex than can be signified by a symbol. However, dividing them in a more efficient way may help us more easily divide them and think about them in our brain.

The brain processes things across from each other *-----* differently than it does in a row format:

*-

*-

*-

*-

With this in mind you might see why having some options across from each other changes how we interpret it. Infact, you yourself have succumbed to this mind-set (Whether knowingly or not) by how you set up the menu.  We see Angry across from Sad and Reluctant across from Honest.  They are clearly intended to be opposites.  Then we have Angry above Reluctant, and Honest above Sad.  We don't have a clear distinction between the two options that are rowed together.  This makes processing the choices a little less clear to interpret an outcome.  I'd suggest putting Angry/Sad and Honest/Reluctant closer together and perhaps the other two farther apart to help the audience.

Edited by Titanhex

o.o Wowwie, we had a forum rearrange?? Liking the new idea and the revitalized screenie thread with more emphasis on critiques.. I'm assuming this will be general critiques and not simply mapping critiques like the old one seemed to be? I might actually post some stuff this time!

@ Jonnie: Regarding that screenshot, it's a rearranged choices system, no? Is it an edit of Galv's Emotional Choices? if not it might perhaps be a good idea to check it out, I find it quite cool :3 http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/7848-emotional-responses/

That script uses pictures arranged in a more visually appealing way, but it has the disadvantage of being uncustomizeable- you MUST have 4 options and you can't change them during gameplay. I'm assuming in this one you can, seeing how the choices seem very situational. So I rather like this better in terms of gameplay :D

To give some aesthetic critique (as that's all I'm good for XD), it seems a little off. The image in the middle doesn't go very well with the windowskin, since one of the masks is red and the icon is VERY small it's difficult to notice if you give a passing glance, which is really what a player will do when they're there in the zone and want to progress the story. So it might be hard for them to even realise 'oh, its a choice window!' and instead they'd just absentmindedly mash A and end up choosing the first option. I know that personally I've done this before in visual novels where either the interface isn't attention-grabbing or the windows pop up really fast while you're still trying to click through text. (Though rpgmaker by default avoids that pacing issue)

Also i'd say in order to make it more clearly a choice window -and more appealing- it should be shortened on the X componant. Because at the moment it looks like you mashed spacebar ten times after each word and they're way too far apart. (Though I understand the extra space is in case one of the choices is very long, I just think some sort of auto-resize would be useful)

So in summary my ideas are: bigger image in the middle or a different colour window, reduce space between choices with an autoresize, if possible.

Sorry if I seemed overly critical, I really love the look of this and don't think the points I raised are uber important or anything XD I'd love to play a game with choices like this, I find sometimes a scene would work a lot better if you just had a summary of your choice instead of literally what you're going to say. There are situations where you may -for example- try and provoke player thought in a situation where it seems like there's an obvious solution but the real one is something you have to put some effort into. But its really hard to phrase a dialogue choice so that it seems pointless to someone making the obvious assumption yet becomes meaningful to the guy who analyzed the problem. Whereas if you just have one-word moods it's much easier to pull off and the situation could be something like 'comforting'/'angry', where someone who'd been paying attention to the character might realise he doesn't like being pitied and would get more motivation if you yelled at him and pointed out he's being irrational.

I like it , just need a little bit more of visual polishing .I think it looks a little too raw .

Here is a map for my current project Defilers of Fate :

http://imgur.com/oPSUQ

I am having trouble finding a tile that would suit the road , any suggestions ?

Depends on what you want the road to look like and what tileset you're using. The RTP only really has tiles for a sort of cobblestone road that goes on grass so it'd definately need something else custom.

I'd reccommend taking a look through Celianna's giant tileset, I found a few neat possible forest road tiles there http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/21-celiannas-tileset/

Can't link you specifically the ones with roads because she doesn't allow image hotlinking, so have a browse if you like.

This is all color theory 101 and visual communications.

A good road tile here might be a darker brown in color, indicating mud. Since there's a lot of water, it would work.  You could also use a mossy green texture to indicate trampled, wet grass.

A light, sandy tan would probably not work, unless you wanted to convert to beach, which this does not seem to be.  Lighter colors of brown also indicate dried dirt in most cases, which may not work as well in such a watery area.

Finally you can have cobbled, stone, or brick road if this is in a civilized place, perhaps leading to a monastery in a cave or some other dwelling that is traveled frequently by say a wagon.  Cobbled roads often indicated wagons or carts or other wheeled things would travel it.

Edited by Titanhex

Gotta say I love the use of tints and such a detailed tileset, and the HUD is awesome!

Just got a few crits.. it looks weird how the grass cuts off very blatantly into squares around the edges at some points and it's a bit of a shame because it's such realistic quality otherwise. It's like it blends perfectly well with the long grass and trees but then you didn't even try to create some sort of transition point when it touches any other tile. I could perhaps outline the bits where I think it gets blocky?

Also the face on the HUD looks rather pixellated since its been squashed..

@pxlgraphic - the maps are pretty, but I agree with Bunni89, the grass really throws it off, not to mention that some of the items, such as the random jagged rocks, seem to be placed there just to take up space or provide barriers. This is a common problem with ABS I've noticed, that you have random tiles in place just to block off areas and make for a more battle ready area. Keep asthetics in mind when doing that as well.

In response to Jonnie91's post. I'm not sure why he used an older screen shot like that, we've already been reworking the situation, I've created a few icons that represent each choice, and will make more for each choice as we come to them. Also the choice of window skin is just a filler, I am still working on making a custom one for this game, so the color choices will change in the future.

I agree with the size and shape, as well as the placement of choices. I'm thinking more of a diamond shaped, but for something like that we will need a custom script, so it may take a bit. What do you all think? What sort of shape would look good?

I like the idea of a diamond shape, and it'd change the whole 'subconcious view of rows' thing Titanhex suggested. I figure a diamond of four squares might seem more ambiguous, and depending on the player they could see up and down, left and right as opposites or think it goes around in a circle of positive and negative choices. Plus it'd just look fairly unique XD Cons of a diamond are that it'd be more awkward to fit words inside the squares and have it look good, but then again having just icons for all the choices could be confusing. But then AGAIN icons could serve an even better purpose as a 'vaguely explained flexible choice that you just get the gist of'. And to me a diamond would look off if it wasn't in the centre of the screen, since its more unusual than the default interface and would seem a bit odd off to the side where the default choices are. There's a lot of factors here..

However I say go with whatever is most feasable for you to code and don't put too much emphasis on making everyone happy. (Or at least don't prioritize it over time and conveinience) As long as the choice is functional and relatively self explanatory, players will be alright with it. It's a small feature that probably noone would think about in this level of depth while actually playing.

EDIT: Also, come to think of it, if you change the choices out for images then it'll be pretty much the same as Galv's Emotional Responses system... it'd be a bugger if people ended up thinking you ripped him off since it seems this has been in development for ages..

Edited by Bunni89

@Bunni: It would be helpful if you could outline the places, because I'm not entirely sure what you mean :3

@Nicke: The gardens are part of a dark dungeon that you've just came out of, and if the tint is lighter then all the tiles look too bright and happy. If it's still a problem I can brighten it up a tiny bit and see how it is, though.

@Tow: Very cool. Although if the bright lighting is suppose to be coming off the water, I suggest you move some of it more to the top right and make it all the same brightness. Also, why does your bridge go one tile off the water on one side but not the other?

@@pxlgraphic/@Tow

Please can you ensure that they leave critique on other screenshots before posting your own. It is only polite. Thanks Jonnie91

Thank you for all your feedback on my screenshot. I will point out that this is created using RPG Maker VX not Ace, hence the system was actually made by myself using Events XD

Also I realised that it really WAS an old screenshot! ALOT older than I anticipated....I'll edit this post with an updated Screenshot. Using a very simple Windowskin, and showing off the Graphical stuff we've added....

As Shaddow as said we are planning to eventually create a script that will work effectively. Everything you have said is brilliant and has helped me develop this further! Thanks guys :)

@Tow - What he means is that on one side, the bridge doesn't really extend far onto land, and on the other side it extends one square inland instead of just being at the waters edge. I think that is what he means anyway, it is what I am seeing.

Oh, my bad. Now it is clear.^^

@pxlgraphic: I also think, that your screens are a kind of dark and the textures of the grass is some kind of disturbing.

@Jonnie: That was a repost of something I put on the second to last page of the previous screenshot thread. (Where I don't think that rule was in effect.) But I'll do that in the future now, I usually do :3

@Shaddow: Yep.

@Tow: I'll try to fix the disturbing grass.

The same cave, but some battles later Vendolin discovers a place where someone has camped:

screenhhle2hundYTDVL.jpg

Vendolin: That could have been a dog. But I am not quite sure about that.

I'm working on the temple gardens in the ending dungeon right now... so close to finishing Wake!

ss88_zps9f73ea5e.jpg

ss90_zps63a0a5dc.jpg

ss89_zpsb7be6f45.jpg

Good:

I like the mapping. It seems more real compare to most games you try to find a good nature atmosphere in.

Bad:

I personally think its too dark.

Personally i dont like the water tile you used because to me it seems to be water next to a cliff under water? if that makes any sense.

(maybe this could help you http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/6067-how-to-properly-use-the-exterior-water-tiles/ )

What could make it better:

Try adding more  natural light to. it can really make this stand out a bit more.

Try adding light to area where is not surrounded by the dark tint to much but dont go over board with it.

Again love the mapping!

Edited by Virus

@Virus
That are some nice Screens. Alltough in my opinion a little bit too dark...

screen.png

Just a little screen i made. Nothing to spectacular about it :)

Edited by Snake