Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

@devonm0

The overall layout of everything looks nice, but the changes in height are pretty weird-looking

The ledge farthest to the bottom stops toward the left, but there's stairs going up near the middle

That leaves the map with an impossible change in height

I think the same thing happens with the church also, unless it's sunken into the ground (I can't really tell)

Speaking of the church, I personally think it might make more sense to have it high up, as opposed to being below-ground

I can't really think of a time I've ever seen a church underground, but if it makes sense in your story, go for it

EDIT

Oh, I must have looked at the church weird

Definitely above ground

Disregard that point

Edited by Dmariin

@TheHarmp I think it looks much better with the edited version.

@devonm0 I love the right-middle building's roof. As for the elevation changes, the church does look like it is above ground to me. Consider an elevation change to match it outside the walls (and on the walls).

@devonm0: I don't mean to sound harsh (rather on the contrary, these comments here are meant to help guide), but these are things that would concern me if this were one of my maps... The map feels vary... sparse; while this can be a style all on its own, its definitely not for me. I just don't feel it looks that good with the RTP; a sparse style is more suited towards more retro-styled graphics in my opinion. The roads are... big with no real reason for it: Why would someone go all the way to the corner of that road in the bottom left and right-hand corners if there's nothing there? Perhaps have the large open areas of road be kinda like town squares, with fountains or market stalls. Another nitpick with the sparseness is that there is nothing outside of the city walls safe for a few very orderly placed trees; this gives a feel that the rest of the world outside is exactly like that. One last comment about the outside of the town: Consider having a buffer of some sort between the furthest your characters can walk and the edge of the map so it LOOKS like the camera would continue scrolling if the character could move past the walls. This minor effect helps with allowing the player to believe that there is more to the world than just this city.

@TheHarmp: The screen looks interesting and I like the use of the world map in it as well, however I feel that the character bust on the left looks a little too... blurry. Probably from being so far zoomed in.

And now for my screenshot... Its been a very long time since I've mapped something in an RM, but I feel happy with this for the most part. The map is of small, relatively secluded village (that is to say, its not unknown of, its just very far off the beaten path). My own issues with the map is the shadows going underneath things like flowers and trees and stuff like that, but its something I can live with if I have to. Any thoughts, suggestions, or criticisms?

Postdetailsscreenshot_zpsdf59aef6.png

Edited by gcook725

Wow gcook; just wow.  Think you could teach me to make better maps?  Your map looks extraordinarily professional compared to mine.  Oh, and what do you mean by a buffer?  I tried looking it up, but I don't understand.

Best way to describe what it's like without a buffer zone... When you walk towards the edge of a map and you start getting close to it, have you noticed that the camera stops moving along with the character? That is what happens if there is not a buffer zone between the edge of the map and the edge of the "playable" are of the map. When this happens to a player, they are instantly reminded by the confined-ness of the game, that they are being directed by the developer and that there really isn't anything else outside of the playable area. Basically it breaks immersion.

For example, in your map there is only a few tiles between the edge of the playable area (everything inside of the walls of the town) and the edge of the actual map. Well before you reach the walls the screen will stop scrolling with the character's movement. If you added some space between the inside edge of the walls and the edge of the map, you could remedy it.

That isn't to say its always a bad thing: It really depends on the type of game you're making. Do you want to draw the players in and make them forget that they are in a game world? Include a buffer. Don't care if the player's remember that they're playing a game? Then a buffer isn't needed at all.

Really though, it all comes down to preference and what YOU feel is needed for your game.

Edit. Also, my biggest pieces of advice that I can give: Pay attention to detail, use variation and use logic. Don't use the same two shapes or patterns if you can help it (ESPECIALLY with anything created or effected by nature), but at the same time whatever you map should just "make sense". Tall grass should be in places less traveled by people and animal (conversely the ground should be somewhat worn away by travel so dirt would be more common along these paths). Also think of little details you can include to give something life. How old is the road in this map? Is it well kept? If not then it should show wear, either from just not being there or having tufts of grass or moss growing on it (even the best maintained roads have this really, just to a lesser extent). Its the smallest details that bring a piece to life.

Of course, all that can be ignored if you choose to. For example, those going with a more... retro or simpler look would do well making things seem less detailed. It really all comes down to preference for everything. Personally I prefer to be immersed in my games, even if its a simple 2D game.

Edited by gcook725

@gcook725-

I love your mapping style, my only issue is that there seems to be no vegetation on the highest cliffs, nothing but trees and open spaces. Keep up the Good work!

@gcook: Well-utilized RTP! ^-^ The big issue I have is that vegetable patch near the end of the cliff in the central area of the map...since there's no door and it's at the edge of a cliff....there's no way to get to it. O_o Also, there's a lack of ground vegetation (not trees, just like grasses and weeds) on top of the outer rim of cliffs. :)

@Tsarmina, P3RR1N: Thanks! I actually noticed the door thing just AFTER I took the screenshot (as well as the lack of shadows from the cliffs along the river) and fixed it. As for the cliff, I originally left it plain to avoid drawing the eyes away from the rest of the town, but apparently its emptiness is doing the exact opposite x3. I'll probably fix it next time I work on the map... again thanks!

@gcook725: Not much to add, very nice map.

Only missing, as said before, some plantlife at the upper cliff.

@Topic: Finally finished a mini game I was working on since last week:

The stage itself is just for testing, though the boss at the end is pretty much done design wise. (except for the low hp)

@gcook725: I really like it! I could see myself living there, heh. I think you should change your water tile, though, since it's use is for the edge of the water/land rather than the ENTIRE river. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'd personally use the solid water. That's just me, though. Other than that and the previous plantlife suggestion, it looks great.

Got a few gifs for you guys.

Cmu2Cv4.gif

The weather effects and slightly redesigned HUD in Skyline Highway.

0fOpDDZ.gif

Testing out a mini hookshot puzzle. (hookshot graphics are WIP)

A1qIrYl.gif

How on-map battles are activated, as well as the new boss HUD. I'm aware of the number graphic error.

@Gavin: I actually tried that at first! An issue came up with the corners of the cliffs where there was a little piece of grass still there. In addition to that the cliffs ended up looking like they were floating on the water instead of next to/submerged in them. Because of that I opted to keep the edge of the grass between the cliff and water.

As for your images, I'm really liking the the cloud weather effect for the first .gif. I feel that the hookshot-able posts should be more noticeable somehow; they're kinda hard to pick out from the background in my opinion. Overall I really like the HUD, its very clean looking and fits with the overall aesthetic style (that being DS-style correct?).

@Frank: I like it!  All the trees tilting at the exact same angle thought is a little off-putting. It's sort of like...optic illusion. I like the parallaxed path; it's very beautiful. Your map is clean and has detail without being cluttered. ^-^

@gcook725: I like it. It is a solid map without parallax! I don't fully understand the bushes near the waterfall (down in the river), at least what I can see. I also do not fully understand why the stairs leading into the town are grass covered (at least that is what it looks like. Why would grass be covering them being that it is the main path. What tileset did you use for the buildings? I like it!

@Frank: I agree with Tsarmina, the trees could use some more variety. One thing you could do easily is use transform-->scale and change their shape a bit. Otherwise, there are lots of tree resources. Overall though, good start and the path is dynamite.

I am starting a game of my own and would like some feedback on one of my maps. I also have a question. This is my map for a small mining town at the entrance to a mine.

Map004_zpsa605c2a6.png 

Please let me know what you think. It does not have the tint effect yet or the sunlight overlay. My question though is currently, the character can walk through the mountains and I am not sure why. I used Mack's tiles with a few slight edits. I also have it marked with an "X" in the passability options. So, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. It appropriately stops the character from walking through buildings, trees, etc., but the "A" tiles (aside from water) are not working in that regard.

Edited by YummyTiger

@YummyTiger:It's nice I really like the mountain though most of it you can't really see in the game can't you :D ?
I don't like the houses, they all look the same...you could try combining them(the left one and the one in the middle) and you could add some more rocks and stuff or make the exit a bit more narrow(after you pass waterfall)

As for passability.......hmmm you should check your setups once more as an alternative you could place blank events with priority set "same as character" on the edges ;) .

I've decided I'd start with parallax maps so here's first one that I've have made this morning. Didn't set it up yet(Since I don't know how...hope it's not too hard :P )so there are no shadows and lights...

Paralax_zpsa7ec409d.png

some maps I've made in rpgm editor:

Verandia_zps038a9452.png

Cave.png

StAubin_zpse986197e.png

Sorry for my bad english.... :(

Edited by J0pac

@J0pac: I really like your city map. It's large but not empty and doesn't appear to be cluttered with useless things. There are a few things that stand out as odd looking to me though. For instance, the water coming through the the walls doesn't look right. The shadows make me think the land behind the wall is not elevated enough to hold a pool of water at the correct height. Also, there are no streams or pools of water on the other sides of the walls. The one coniferous tree in the middle of the city looks a bit weird too since all the other trees on the mainland are deciduous. The only other thing I would point out is to think about adding some variety to the building materials for the structures. Every structure seems to have the same wall and roof tiles. Altogether though, I'm very impressed with the map. It looks really great!

@J0pac You have the rectangular shadows from ace in the cave pic. The shadow overlay is all you need for shadows.

I like the theme of the town. I don't think you need to change everything to different colours on it.

I'm not a fan of the dead trees on the beach. They should either be more alive or driftwood.

@HumanNinja: I'm glad you like it ,though that's an old map...hmmm that tree in the middle really does look odd...what was I thinking.As for buildings there are two types of walls and roofs.Anyway thanks for your opinion. :)

@Brackev: Lol how didn't I see those shadows before... :D

Here's another parallax map of a modern city.Tell me what you think :)

Oh and there are no doors yet.

Katar_zpsa9bb342c.png

For a modern city, those pink-roofed houses look a little more traditional-style to me. Maybe it's because I live near a big city, so I tend to think of glass skyscrapers and clogged rectangular skylines. XD It seems more suburb-ish in my opinion. Also, I know this is probably an event-to-screenshot error but some of your cars are driving on the curb.

@ Tsarmina I know what you mean... -_- At first I thought I'd make city with skyscrapers but I didn't know how to make them to look good.I guess It can still pass as a small nowdays city. :D

Cars aren't driving lol they are parked XD

Right now I'm trying to set it up in RPM and It's driving me crazy :wacko:

@j0pac, I think the horizontal streets need a stop on that intersection, while the vertical one doesn't.  Seems kind of dangerous with only 1 stop on the vertical :P

Also whats with that Cool sign near the dumpsters?  That were the cool kids hang out?  And that bottom right red car has some pro parking skills, reminds me of mine lol

looks pretty good though

@J0Pac:  I like your city screenshot, only when people park there cars in the street, they are a little bigger than that.  I realize that this is rpg maker so that's might not be much of a possibility.  I think it looks more like something you'd see in big city only like in cities like Colorado Springs, which doesn't have skyscrapers in it.  

Here's my screenshoot of something I've been working on.  I love the XP walls of the dungeons and wanted to make the walls look like that, I admit that I need to do a little more work, and yes, that little guy is a slime edit of FSM, not a rip.  Isn't he cute? <3 I love those little guys.  I want a plushy version, but that's off topic.

new_caverns_by_nicnubill-d776qy8.png

Prepare yourselves. I haven't posted in a forum for over a year. So sorry if I break rules or make this post too long to read.

@J0Pac: I like this map shot in general. There is plenty of potential to the events you could add in for the player here too. There's contrasting themes here, so it's hard to put a singular critique on this.

The city does not feel too modern though, as the trees and houses(Notably the roofing, which Tsarmina already pointed out) on the upper-half of the map incorporate a traditionalist setting rather than the modern feel of today's cities.

I kind of like that part about it though. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Which is a contrast to the lower-half, which is oddly clean for a city, but still contains traces of grunginess*.

I can't really get any more detailed than this as the map is zoomed out.

@Cait: For a mostly RTP set, the map is looking good. Like J0Pac's map, I can't decide on a concise judgement because of the contrasting themes.

There is plenty of tileset graphic conflicts: The crack on the wall that touches off on the floor(This is next to the imp), the flat web on a curved wall(Far left of the map), and the rock walls(From mid-down) being inconsistent with their respective top rock wall tiles.(See the wall where the crack is on. Slight color and cut-off difference)

Those are all minor, so it's no big deal, but I've only pointed those out in case you haven't seen them. Sorry if I'm am nit-picky like hell though. Haven't done a critique in years. With the duration of this post, you pretty much get why. XD

This map could have been boring, but you put in some nice little details here and there. Like the darker-shaded flooring, vines with some of the grass patch, stalagmites, boulders, and the such scattering the floors.

The holed area on the lower-left corner of the map is oddly placed. Is it meant to be a ceiling tile? Or is it a drop-off? You could use your walls here to add more depth to that area.

That smiling slime. I love that smiling slime.  :lol:

Now here's my screenshot. Ready your weapons, and hack at it as much as you can. I need some any sort of criticism and perspective if you would please.  ;) Thank you all kindly for dealing with my ancient and dusty posting powers.

2afbqiu.jpg

The area in the lower left corner? Still in development. There's going to be a medium-sized city there. This area is intended to be a sort of checkpoint for travelers, and front for the city.

Because of situations in-game, the lower right is on constant guard.

Edited by Tsarmina
Blue is for mods :)

Considering how tall the buildings are, I'd probably take those shadows down a few notches. Honestly I understand that the fundamental rule is two spaces from the building top, but they don't agree with the (preset of course) tree shadows. The perspective is funky in a sort of off-kilter way.