Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

@Dmariin: Your creen is really good.

But there are 2 things i don't like. First the candeliers seemss a bit off. And second the floor have streaks that are more illuminated? Is seems a bitt off this too xD But with npc in it it would surely be an awesome map :D

Ok, this is my second try!

I needed to learn ho to make animated water so i tried a bit

oiMQfM0.png

The aren't any fogs and light effects. 

...I didn't know in Rpgmaker VXAce there weren't any fogs xD

Edited by Shuji

@Shuji: imho The trees you've chosen don't work well with chibi sized characters unless thats an 8-years old child. The trees are for XP sized characters.

Yes, but i don't like VX tiles xD

Maybe i should make them a little smaller. 

If you go outside and stand under most any deciduous tree, you'll find that the lowest branches are usually just above your head. So if you were to shrink them just a bit, it would look a bit more to scale. But like Galv and Mirage88 suggest, I wouldn't shrink them down to 'mini' size like the RTP trees.

@Shuji I personally don't find the trees an issue (mainly because I use them too xD), it was more of a matter of finding the right style; most kaduki sprites with parallax mapping works pretty well in my opinion. :) Your screenie is really nice Shuji, it's simple yet more visual, to create that little atmosphere of being in a forest. Like Galv said, some people are used to see the mini everyday tileset trees in general.

Since we're on the subject of Celianna's trees, maybe I'll show another screenie! :3 With the right effects, and blending, the trees can really match their landscape.

Screenshot83_zps782b4f86.png

Edited by LadyMinerva

@LadyMinerva :wub:  I really love your map, so I hope I can do as well, as your map is. 

Here's a map that I have been working on, it's going to be parallaxed for the opening of my game.  I still have boxes to put in the back, but I would love to show it off, because I am really proud of it. This is what I wanted to do for the beginning when I first started it, but did not have the ability to do so.  I have really improved, :lol: .... ^_^

07abe6905ea8a237aa1910620764ac91-d811n9x

@Cait Aww thank you Cait. :3 It takes times and a whole lot of practice so you'll get to the top of the totem pole someday. :)

Okie about your screenie... I really love it! It's a little hard to get a 3D perspective of that truck in a 2D program so I will not nudge you for that. xD

The hood of the truck seems a little long don't you think? ;) Just some wheels here and there and it'll look very pretty!

Edited by LadyMinerva

@Shuji I personally don't find the trees an issue (mainly because I use them too xD), it was more of a matter of finding the right style; most kaduki sprites with parallax mapping works pretty well in my opinion. :) Your screenie is really nice Shuji, it's simple yet more visual, to create that little atmosphere of being in a forest. Like Galv said, some people are used to see the mini everyday tileset trees in general.

Since we're on the subject of Celianna's trees, maybe I'll show another screenie! :3 With the right effects, and blending, the trees can really match their landscape.

Screenshot83_zps782b4f86.png

LadyM, are you able to give me the link to the resources you used in this screenshot? because it is just beautiful. Top effort, if your game is going to look like this then I think I might just cry cause wow, it looks amazing :D

@Shuji

The first map looks great!

The only issue I can see coming up is that the path is a bit too small, but other than that it looks good

The water on the second one looks a little bit bright to me, and the map is sort of clustered, but it still looks nice

I think the style of trees you used looks fine

@LadyMinerva

I've said this before, I'm a huge fan of Celianna's tiles

That map looks great

Did you parallax that?

Again, a tiny bit clustered, but maybe that's just my personal tastes

And here we go!

Once more, a nudie bar tavern
I'm pretty sure this is the finalized version (minus lighting effects... I didn't feel like messing with the screen tint and brightness and whatever else I need to do)

The positioning of a few people looks a bit off, but fixing that would require redoing a bunch of the mapping, so I'm pretty content with some people being half-on their seats

Also, it's at 95% scale because of the max upload size, so it is a bit bigger than what's posted here

There's also a special guest somewhere in the tavern!
If you're familiar with one of my favorite RM games, you might know who it is

post-20683-0-59332100-1412313569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dmariin

Dmariin, I like your map, but can't answer your question.  I do not like extremely cluttered maps, but I feel as if your map is a little too big for a pub or even a bar.  In the meantime, I've been reworking my maps, it does not have cars or people it.

a7d3d123364528c378f550c3e59413af-d81dx37

@Shuji

The first map looks great!

The only issue I can see coming up is that the path is a bit too small, but other than that it looks good

The water on the second one looks a little bit bright to me, and the map is sort of clustered, but it still looks nice

I think the style of trees you used looks fine

@LadyMinerva

I've said this before, I'm a huge fan of Celianna's tiles

That map looks great

Did you parallax that?

Again, a tiny bit clustered, but maybe that's just my personal tastes

And here we go!

Once more, a nudie bar tavern

I'm pretty sure this is the finalized version (minus lighting effects... I didn't feel like messing with the screen tint and brightness and whatever else I need to do)

The positioning of a few people looks a bit off, but fixing that would require redoing a bunch of the mapping, so I'm pretty content with some people being half-on their seats

Also, it's at 95% scale because of the max upload size, so it is a bit bigger than what's posted here

There's also a special guest somewhere in the tavern!

If you're familiar with one of my favorite RM games, you might know who it is

attachicon.gifMap.jpg

Those couches are so out of place. xD But other than that I'm impressed :D ^~^

@Cait It looks good.  You could try throwing a small crack or some pebbles on the road to break that area up.  Is the inside of that building paved with large round stones?  If not, you may want to adjust the door graphic to have the proper flooring showing through.  Try not to have dialog on the screen for map critique, we only get a small amount of the map already.

@Shuji: I think the issue with your map is that the grass and ground is an entirely unfitting color, if you look at the difference between the leaves of the tees and the color of the grass at the bottom it makes no sense, healthy trees and healthy grass are nearly always brighter and a lot darker in color, they are also usually similar, if you look at Knighterius post you can see it doesn't look absurd, because the tiles on the ground underneath don't contradict the trees. You can also clearly spot the lack of parity if you compare the log in the right center of you first map behind the mushrooms, it's a rich mahogany brown with a deep leafy green vine, then the ground is this pale dull green with sand mixed in, and it doesn't suit it at all.

@Dmariin: That's a very nice map, I tried hard and found nothing to fault. So good job!

@Cait: These are looking nice, and I love the idea for your truck, however, there's are a few areas where the perspective is a little off.

The control station in the driver's cabin looks a little weird, it should be facing bit less towards the camera in the upwards direction. But the bigger thing is the lack of transition between the straw rug on the floor and the wall. It's too clean, if the autotile your using has an edge to it, apply the top edge to the underlying floor, (which should be darker.) I hope that makes sense!

Here's one of my best maps, there are some things I don't like about it, though. Such as the more simplistic tiles against the high definition Celianna, Ayene, fromTabby and Lunarea tiles.

I was inspired a little by Diablo II and Oddworld for the atmosphere, but what is more responsible is a daydream I had about a deep mossy jungle and a tower protruding. This is on an alien world, but I'll probably be updating the starfield parallax to have some land and jungle at it's bottom later. Also maybe some clouds and mist. yes, that sounds pretty awesome.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

Good stuff, BM. Especially the green tint used for the forested area. Out of curiosity, did you use a tint command for that, or did you just tint certain tiles in Photoshop. Either way, it gives it a nice dark, ancient touch without being overly dark.

@BM Congratulations on finsihing a bunch of maps.  The bridge off of the stairs looks a little odd.  It may need some kind of landing there.  The chests in the tower really blend in with the background except for the very shiny top.  Any way to even out the colors on it?  The maps look good.

@Amerk: It is a tint, yeah! Thanks.

@Brackev: Thanks, and that bridge, oh it definitely does look weird, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it yet... BUT! I did just have an idea. Might have a screen ready for that tomorrow.

And evening out the colors is very possible, and I've already got it on the to-do list.

@RazZi: I like your shrine, reminds me a little of some parts of Bloodmyst Isle and Crystalsong forest in World of Warcraft.

This video is a mite more intense than my last one.

So there's a few things to show off here. First is the music and it's epic climax by my Composer: MoneyMenace. There's obviously my eventing and development skills, there's also a lot of art from my freelance fellas and my employees. The Zardari spriteset, Planetary art for the red futurey planet and the background on the final map is by Apoc. (with danger signs around.)
The backgrounds shown shortly after the climax and then again with the green haired dwarf are by Rgangsta.
The background for the short blue alien dude is by Xiie, combing elements from apoc.
The character sprites sans the blue aliens are by Pjcr.
I drew the meteor and it's blue flames, the Fyori and her background post climax.

Team effort, heck yea!

Now give me more things to critique so I can keep to the return feedback rule.

Bizarre Monkey: I didn't like the "survive for 2 minutes" text. The scene itself is hectic. Thats a good thing, but then again the player might not have time to pay attention to the background, making all the work done with the background effects obsolete. It's easy to follow in the video but imagining playing it... It'd suggest first making the battle scene and then the "asteroid" moving scene so it leaves time for the player to observe the nice effect.

I really dislike the message box blue outline and the RTP style mixed with that other art style. Either use one of them but not both. RTP graphics are too detailed compared to those paint graphics. Again, some of the portraits are too detailed compared to others (3:33) making the graphical style to feel even more random.

What's with that "name box" inside the message box which cuts some of the letters off from the bottom?

Edited by RaZzi

@RaZzi: That map is really good! Are you using your own tileset??

This is my first time parallaxing a city, so after 2 days of experimenting things with the inquisitor tileset this is the result :D

It isn't taken in game, and i didn't really put much details. I have done this map only for training.

What do you think? :3 

RzegKM3.png

@RazZi: I can change what font is used. Never had feedback on that particular thing before. I'd be lying if I said no one had criticized the contrasting style before, so let me respond to that. Menagerie is a big artistic mess, and has so many pieces now that are used in the game that'd be an absolute choir to go and in and correct it all. I'd like to focus on gameplay and getting all the optional content done before I worry about graphical integrity. I'm imagine most would be able to excuse graphics if the game, characters and world are fulfilling enough. I myself recognize that this is an issue, and I commend you for also telling me to choose a style and stick with it. I have almost done so before, but it would take so much time and do most of my artists such a disservice that I'd probably end up hating doing any work on Menagerie, as it stands I enjoy working on the project, and hope most will be able to overlook the grievances with graphical coherency and enjoy the game for what it is.

As for the backdrop in that scene, it's possible no one may see it, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. There's no downside to keeping the images there, and for those that do notice it'll feel really epic.

The name box is an idea Yanfly gave me, and it doesn't cut anything off. it gives me less space to type, but nothing is cut off in the way you describe. I can do three lines + the namebox, They weren't in those scenes because each message box had to be open for  under 10 seconds or the shake-screen effect would stop, which looked very odd.

I can't really comment on the windowskin, it works with the majority of the game, the border was done like that firstly to keep in line with the games main palette, but also because it did a good job of clearly separating one area from another, which is good in a game like this which has so little in the way of artistic parity. If you have another suggestion though, I'm open to it; a windowskin isn't hard to change.

@Shuji: My only problem with it is the tiles you used for the ground when compared to the rest, that warm gold-yellow pebblestone doesn't go well with the clashing cold blue-grey of the castle walls. Since a lot of the houses share a warm palette, it would be advised to change the outer-walls color to something less cold. A more warm dusty color would certainly suit.

Oh right, here's something I did sorta recently.
TZ2ndzf.png

If the world above is against the rules, just lemme know and I'll get rid of it.

One of these days I'm gonna make a game entirely in MSpaint.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

I guess you didn't get what I meant with that name box thing:

Cutoff.png

As you can see, the name is cut off at the bottom (Look at the letter Z) but in the most recent screenshot you posted, it doesn't have this effect. Guess it has something to do with your Name box width and the name box text lenght. "Archbishop Zardari" is longer than the name boxes actual width so it gets automatically shrinked, "Mirror" is shorter than the actual width of the name box and therefore, doesn't get shrinked.

Quick edit of the windowskin. Still borders everything cleanly but is much more bearable in longer periods gameplay. 

Example%20border.png

I guess you didn't get what I meant with that name box thing:

Cutoff.png

As you can see, the name is cut off at the bottom (Look at the letter Z) but in the most recent screenshot you posted, it doesn't have this effect. Guess it has something to do with your Name box width and the name box text lenght. "Archbishop Zardari" is longer than the name boxes actual width so it gets automatically shrinked, "Mirror" is shorter than the actual width of the name box and therefore, doesn't get shrinked.

That's interesting... There isn't a script I'm using for nameboxes. Literally, it's just formatted text like so:

\>\c[14]Speakername\c[22]\<

Text

goes

here...

So I'm not sure what could be causing that! Thanks for the update to windowskin suggestion, I'll probably implement something like that, thanks!

Edit: I then proceeded to implement something like that.

v71Iloz.png

Just took the RTP frame, edited it.

I'll have to actually not give feedback this time, purely because I've given feedback to everyone in the past page and this one.

WOW! All of your mappings look so AWESOME < 3

Well i am still a beginner at mapping and i doubt i can ever catch up to you guys looking at my work, but well here it is:

It is supposed to become a little village, couldn't decicde on wheter to use houses or tents yet.

Do you have any ideas for improvment? Is it possible to add a sea rose infront of the waterfall and add random movement to it, so it looks like its floating on the water?

I am ofc reading some tutorials, and now trying to use Shift mapping aswell, but FEEDBACK is what i've learned the best way to i prove. FEEDBACK and DAILY MAPPING even if only for half an hour^^

r73fo5.png

Kind regards,

Ympker