Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

It seems like you are trying really hard to be realistic but that's forcing your characters to live in a more unrealistic way than if things were simply left out.  Most games/novels/TV shows etc leave out whatever does not advance the story or enrich the world.  People in medieval times would have used a chamber pot and dumped it in the street, and then gotten sick from the unsanitary conditions, do you really want that in your game? 

It seems like you are trying really hard to be realistic but that's forcing your characters to live in a more unrealistic way than if things were simply left out.  Most games/novels/TV shows etc leave out whatever does not advance the story or enrich the world.  People in medieval times would have used a chamber pot and dumped it in the street, and then gotten sick from the unsanitary conditions, do you really want that in your game? 

Yes I do want that in the game. Do you have any more details about the chamber pot? Is it outside houses or inside? If inside, on what floor? At what place were chamber pots put? Did every person have a chamber pot? What about bath?

I feel as though your best bet is to do some research on medieval times, honestly. If you're willing to go as realistic as chamberpots and disease, you DEFINITELY don't want to have buildings that tall, or even made out of those materials for that matter. 

Not done yet but it's pretty bad. It's supposed to be a market point of a town. One of my first tries at mapping...

Give me some advice :/

I get what you're trying to do but it just doesn't work. Towns and cities weren't ever built super high until somewhat modern times and never that close to each other as tall. Going wide before tall was a lot easier and much more aesthetic. Three story buildings are already kind of pushing and should only be reserved for those of incredible wealth or an army fortress.

The shops especially have no reason to be that tall, there's just no way they'd have built a town like that.  This is the time with no elevators and no way of carrying supplies easily aside maybe winches and such and mules, so you'd really not want a giant tower like that where you'd every week have to restock and resupply all the inventory.

An pub n inn is supposed to be tall, isn't it?

All the supplies are in the first floor,like I said every building in the marketplace has a store (first floor) and a house (second,third?,fourth?) floor. Do you think stores and shopkeepers' housing should be in a different building than the store? Or should only have two floors and be more wide??

Example my mayor's house is this:

1st Floor: Sitting/Living Room/Workplace

2nd Floor: Bedroom

3rd Floor: Kitchen

4th Floor: Bathroom

Rings shop, clothes shop, items shop, armor shop:

1st floor: Store

2nd floor: Bedroom+Kitchen

3rd floor: Bathroom

Swords shop:

1st floor: Store

2nd floor: Bedroom+Kitchen+Bathroom (it's VERY cramped)

Restaurant:

1st floor: Restaurant

2nd floor: Restaurant Kitchen/House Kitchen

3rd floor: Bedroom

4th floor: Bathroom

Inn n Pub:

1st floor: Pub+Bathroom

2nd floor: 2 Rooms(one is Innkeeper's room)

3rd floor: 2 Rooms

What advice do you have for me, what should I do?

Instead of dedicating entire floors for a thing, add more things to said floor so that you have restaurant and kitchen only. Two level restaurants is very new thing. You also don't need to show all of those places if you never get to them or they never serve any purpose. Also I think having a pub under inn would be a really terrible idea, I'd imagine that'd cause tons of noise and people wouldn't want to sleep in there. Unless this is some weird Wild West Saloon style inn where you purchase company to upstairs instead of actual literal rest. Your bathroom placement is also very off because you mentioned chamberpots, then there really wouldn't be any toilet areas but rather chamber pots near beds and outhouses outside. You can cut the sizes of them when you just remove bedrooms and give them housing instead. Even if you go with the shopkeepers living above, they were way more cramped and one level was for the work and the above was for the very small and cramped bedroom, almost more of an attic.

Also if you use chamberpots, you need to coat your roads with shit and filth near the buildings where people live and there needs to rats on the ground level too. Pigs too, pigs used to be very common sight around on the streets. Unless it's winter, all animals were kept outside. When it came too cold, every animal slept in the houses with the people. By the way, are the people suffering from the effects of plague or anything of such? You could make them look really gross and dirty too. How does your game deal with magic? The Church's stance was that magic was an act against God and that's why anyone practising it was labeled a witch and killed. If it's realistic and still has magic, the magic users would never show their powers unless absolutely necessary and remain hiding most of the time.

Also if you're doing medieval game, you're missing a vital infrastructure; a church! Does not have to a be cathedral but even a simple chapel would do.  IF you're really invested in making it realistic, here's some good quick to read information that will help with your immersion  http://medievaleurope.mrdonn.org/commoners.html and if you really have time, read all in here http://medievaleurope.mrdonn.org/index.html

Especially read about the commoner housing and such.

Game_2015_10_12_12_08_03_17.png

This is Trix. She's one of the strongest enemies you face in the game. This is where we first see a glimpse of her and her powers.

Edited by Tuomo L

Cute!  She reminds me a little of Powerpuff Girls.  I like your font too, nice and easy to read.  I wish more people would change their fonts from the default.  It seems like an easy way to make your game stand out.  (Says xoferew, having no idea if it's actually easy to change or not.)

Cute!  She reminds me a little of Powerpuff Girls.  I like your font too, nice and easy to read.  I wish more people would change their fonts from the default.  It seems like an easy way to make your game stand out.  (Says xoferew, having no idea if it's actually easy to change or not.)

It is, there's multiple message scripts floating around and each of them have varying font changes. I also think a slight change in the font colors and such border colors help with the contrast of the game. (If you look super close, the whites in the borders aren't pure whites. Instead of #FFFFFF  the whites in the system window are #FAFAFA )

Edited by Tuomo L

@Helloish: If you want your game based on Medieval times then houses (particularly peasants homes) would be small and cramped.  Also keep in mind that although it's nice to see realism in games sometimes it can be detrimental to your game. Does your world have magic? If yes then that would change technology somewhat as well. I would also advise on not making the inside the same size as the outside, that sounds like it's going to leave a lot of empty space.

Edited by Myst88

Just one more thing Helloish, I think you should instead of realism to go for a more romanized view of medieval times. Actual realistic depiction would be very unpleasant experience for most people.

Bella, her home and all the assets involved are now finished.

Game_2015_10_14_13_48_25_47.png

This screenshot was a nightmare to take since she keeps rocking back and forth in the rocking chair and sometimes her face emote blinks.

Neat, I like the ice walls and the sprite in the rocking chair. 

How do they get into bed, just climb up from the bottom?

Well, yeah. not that hard to do and when you live in an ice cavern with dangerous monsters, you kind of make due with whatever space you can claim.

Besides, the baby even has her own little bed bellow that takes space too.

Game_2015_10_14_17_42_18_24.png

Edited by Tuomo L

@Tuomo L

Holy balls! These screenshots look great! I love the sprites and art in here. The isometric view is also a nice touch there.

The only thing that caught my attention is this:

zF5mpmY.png

If that table was also from isometric-view, then it would look better considering the wall.

Other than that everything is very nicely done. (=

Hmm... I don't have much to show, but it's still an in-game related screenshot.

I just would like to ask if the HUD is okay or if I should improve something, that's all.

Y4IOUvM.png

Especially I'm kinda unsure of the thingie in upper-right corner. - It shows stage progress and difficulty.

Any suggestions? Thankies. (=

@Rikifive: The HUD itself looks pretty good, but the whole screen looks quite busy? It looks like it's a fastpaced game so players probably won't be wanting to have too much on the screen at once. Personally I wouldn't bother with a difficulty and stage progress bar. Also is that health bar on the right a boss hp bar? If so maybe that would be better in the top right corner and bring both the player characters bars to the bottom of the screen?

Just some maps I whipped up.

9OLpOHx.png

TxzsuJ0.png

@Riki Isn't the hud somewhat bland in with the background or something, especially the lower left one. Maybe simpler one would do the trick?

This is a new in-game screenshot from Wanda. It's animated map in game but not very noticeable here tho (obviously) :).

Wanda%20Screenshot%2029.png

@Helloish   Looks like I've been awoken to have a go at this dilemma. If you want to ignore all other posts and read this then that's fine by me (please don't murder me xeroferew- I love you really) as I'm going to summarize what I, as someone who likes to make realistic (as far as it can go) time-period games. My summary will hopefully clear up this matter, and will include previously stated arguments.

There are two things that you, as a game developer, need to consider when making a 'realistic' map in RPGMaker; REALISM and PLAYABILITY.

You will need to find the perfect balance between what you, the developer, and the audience wants in your maps. You've already received feedback that I would consider incredibly useful, especially considering the amount of content you posted in order to receive said feedback. While you may not like that people find flaws in your maps, or even your reasoning, there is no reason to take it personally as nobody (as far as I'm aware) is paid money to give feedback on people's projects, it's a labour of love.

Now onto the map itself:

You have said yourself that this is a medieval market town. I'm going to assume that it is based on medieval Europe, as most are (I'm aware that this is a very broad statement). From this we can infer several things.

Firstly, as rightly stated earlier a medieval town would have lots of surrounding land, such as forests and plain old grassland, therefore it would stand to reason that they would expand outwards. This is because at the time it would have been much easier to create a wider town than fill a small space with what are effectively skyscrapers, the technology was somewhat limited and, as history has shown, towns were almost flat in design. 

It would also make sense that, as a town, there would be small patches of rural space separating the buildings, that would most likely be constructed from the most locally available material (in a forest covered country this would inevitably be wood and/or straw, with less of a focus on stone that in the larger, more industrialized cities that the towns would likely be linked to.

Moreover, since this is a market town it would, without a shadow of a doubt, have an outdoor market area. The idea you are presenting is just too modernised to be feasible at the time, I'm pretty sure that medieval England wasn't dotted with department stores.

If you want to create a realistic game then you will need to do your homework.

gxiP4IM.png

In this map, which is the most recent version that I can see there are a few kinks that should be ironed out. The first thing is the prospective distance between buildings, I assume that the central space will be filled because it simply isn't very nice to look at when there are no little details to distract your eyes when you walk between places. To make the map itself look prettier I suggest that you fill the central space with the aforementioned clutter and outdoors market, as well as surround the town with more than just an A1 tiles.

As for the interiors, there's nothing wrong with doing a 1 to 1 scale with the outside, but just don't do it with skyscrapers because it makes travelling around tedious  and will actually make people less likely to visit all of the areas due to the unnecessary spacing between. For an example of this take a look at the department stores in the Pokémon games, they managed to pack most buy-able things into a single skyscraper; realistically speaking, what are you going to do with five? Similarly with your theorized interior design, you've muddled "floor" and "room" a bit in my opinion. If the floors are 1 to 1 scale then you are going to have pretty big rooms, alongside an inherent issue that I touched on earlier, you are modernizing way too much. Anyways.

I'm going to wrap up here, hope this has helped you in any way, and thanks to everyone else for providing like 90% of my content (going to get sued for  this *gulp*).

+++Resident frying pan signing out, serving even in death.+++

Keirebu:  By all means, have a go at it.  I gave up.  :D  Am I the "mean girl" or is that someone else? 

Myst:  Pretty!  Is it a modern town?  The white trash can seems more modern than the other stuff?  Is the whole town paved?  The bear amidst the bottles cracks me up for some reason.  I like how you have placed things not just on the grid. 

Somael:  Your work always looks so simple but pretty.  I love the style and you really keep your style consistent. 

Riki:  Pony violence, I don't know...  :D  It's pretty but I agree maybe not all that stuff needs to be on screen at the same time?  I love the color scheme.

Keirebu:  By all means, have a go at it.  I gave up.  :D  Am I the "mean girl" or is that someone else? 

Myst:  Pretty!  Is it a modern town?  The white trash can seems more modern than the other stuff?  Is the whole town paved?  The bear amidst the bottles cracks me up for some reason.  I like how you have placed things not just on the grid. 

Somael:  Your work always looks so simple but pretty.  I love the style and you really keep your style consistent. 

Riki:  Pony violence, I don't know...  :D  It's pretty but I agree maybe not all that stuff needs to be on screen at the same time?  I love the color scheme.

(Could I be the mean girl????)

It's pretty modern. I'm using the steampunk tileset so I tried to imagine what a industrial, Victorianish town would look like. Quite cramped, little bit smoggy and pretty much all stone and metal. (Though I imagine there would be a few green areas in the town)  ^_^

Anybody here who is not as mean as the girl is and can offer help PM me

Am I that mean girl, because I said in that pm reply that I don't have the time to give extensive help you to because of my own projects? Because there's a lot more wrong in there than just my gender. :huh:

@Soamel   Simply said gorgeous. Everything about this is so perfect, I love the atmosphere.

Game_2015_10_17_15_29_18_50.png

We finished making the emotionset and animations for Lady of Ice. She's the third level boss, what you all think of her design?

Edited by Tuomo L

Myst:  Yes, that's what I thought.  (Victorian/steampunk.)  It's just a tiny picky thing but the trash can looks more white and plastic than gray and metallic.  If you could just darken it a bit it might fit in better.  Maybe it's because it seems brighter than anything else on the map that it draws more attention than perhaps a trash can should?  Like, I'm expecting a boss to pop out of it.  :D

Tuomo:  It's okay, boys can be mean too!  :D  The Lady of Ice must be very magical indeed to fight in that dress without falling out of it..  :D  She's very cute/pretty.  I wish I could draw clothes and hair so nicely.  Only thing that momentarily confused me - thinking her chin was her mouth. 

@Myst88 Great work on these, everything looks good for me.

@Somael ... I know I'm repeating myself all the time, but what can I say besides "Beautiful!" =3

@Tuomo The design is great! Though the face looks ... kinda old? =P

Thank you all for your opinions, I'll remove the 'difficulty' bar and re-write that feature, by programming spawn conditions manually.

The stage progress bar is tiny, so I'll leave it be.

As for the rest of HUD - I agree it is kinda too big...? But don't compare coloristically to the background - the background will be changing, so it'll be hard to find that perfect color to not blend with any background. ^^ Hmm.. I'll leave it be for now, I'll remake that later eventually.

I'll remember about your opinions. (=

@Myst88

Very pretty. I like the steampunk style, and the colours on your maps all fit very well together. The perspective on the house on the far right looks a little weird, but that might be just me. Your maps have a lot of detail, and look alive, without appearing cluttered. Finding this ideal mix is something few people can do, so gratz on that. :)

I am still working on my project, which I posted screenies from a few weeks ago. I finished a small church building and the graveyard attached to it.

The ground floor / main room of the church is cross-shaped, while the upper and lower levels will fill out the remaining space.

Upon entering the graveyard (going down the stairs) the screen tints darkly, and the music changes. Both locations will have some beginner Quests, like putting a ghost to rest.

LYmhW0F.png

8iEe1nI.png

9Edq0qa.jpg

I have no idea who the mean girl was... exception that it wasn't me, because, well, you know.

@Rubinblau   Those maps are really pretty, lovely shape and light from what I can see! Keep at it!

Edited by Keirebu