Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

Nice map!

Although I find the heroine sprite is a bit weird.

She has a very strong black outline on her hair.

Perhaps you can try to change the outline color into dark orange.

Other than that, it's nicely done overall.

I like the tileset style.  :D

@SomaelCK: That looks pretty cool. If I had any suggestions it would be to perhaps add more plantlife? Maybe some grass or moss growing up the trees?

This map is still incomplete but I wanted to know if the tilesets go. (Or at least look okay enough to use) I'm mainly using the ancient dungeons tileset but some of Macks tilesets with darker colors and lower saturation.

wrjKWi6.png

@ Myst88I - I think the tilesets go quite well, although I noticed there's no windows on the back wall unless that was intentional, personally I'd add a window or two with

some light on the floor, you could probably fit a large window on the left side of the counter

@EpicFILE - Lol thats how I had the hair before I changed the outline to black XD, the reason I did that was because I have a character in

game that has red hair and red clothes and with a red outline on the hair it blends into the clothes, by changing the hair to a black

outline and having the armor with a coloured outline it stops them from mixing though I've changed back and forth about 3 times lol

can't really decide which way to have it, Thanks for the reply ^^

attachicon.gifTest House.png

Hi guys, I've been trying to create a village home but kinda stuck for clutter ideas, any suggestions?

How about random magazines and such? Map looks really great and I love your art style. There's not really need for excess clutter but few magazines could make the difference or stuff like a cooking book that was left on the table.

Game_2015_11_05_01_28_33_11.png

All character graphics are done, game's about 99% done. Only minor testing and polish remain. This game is ready for release earlist this month and latest at early December. :)

Kaliske:  It's looking nice.  One problem you may run into if more than the player character are ever in this house is people are going to get stuck because there is no space to go around.  Like, an NPC will block the way and you'll have to wait for them to finally move.  Just something to keep in mind if you're designing a lot of maps like this with hallways that are basically one square across. 

@Tuomo L Well i'm not that good at saying anything about bust but the ice lvl looks like fine but i say that if you have it really cold as you can see maybe have them wiggle to kepp warm i can't think of anything so....

Heres My Hotel A Top of The Line Hotel

L3AbaD9.png?1

I think there's too much space :) Even really good hotels usually don't have that kind of space in each room, and even if they did, they would probably put stuff there (television, couches, maybe if they're really fancy they can put a little interior garden!)

Agreed. Far too much open space. Don't be afraid to break it up into rooms. A lot of nicer hotel rooms actually have rooms inside the room, to where it looks more like an apartment than a hotel room. 

Edited by LucidK

@thejaxinator: I do think that it's too wide, but other than that it's good looking. I kind of think the beds would look better yellow since it's more true to the rest of the color scheme. Maybe put a rug in there?

Here are a couple screenshots of my Catwalk of Aeons level. These are the two "elemental" levels built so far, water and fire. They used be all blue/orange but I didn't think that fit with the rest of the level, which I wanted to be yellow and pink to evoke adventure and mystery. (also, the doors aren't really skewed like that in game)

Map046.png

Map047.png

saeryensong it looks really interesting and dangerous.  I feel like I want to explore it right away to figure out what everything does.  I like that they are similar enough to feel like a theme, but different enough that the player won't think they know exactly what to do.

@thejaxinator

There's definitely too much open space, a lot of which the player will only be seeing floor. When creating modern interiors I'd consider smaller maps to be more effective at creating detail in the environment. There's a lot you can add to the space like carpets, tables, appliances and wall decorations. You can get creative with the layout as well and make some interesting spaces (especially with places like apartments or hotels).

The tiles are really nice though, but again I'd recommend working with a smaller space and expanding as necessary.

@saeryensong

I like the colours and tones used in the map design, however there is definitely some apparent strange height definition in some areas. For example, in the second screenshot near the middle of the map the fancy gold tiles clash with the wall and looks oddly like it is on the same level. A bit more spacing between those tiles and the wall might change that.

The first screenshot is nice to look at during a glance, however there are some areas where things don't mesh nicely together. Rugs being placed right up against the ice near the bottom-left side of the map looks strange and maybe some space using neutral floor tiles would be nice. The walls of ice are also a little weird as there isn't anything to show that ice would actually form there such as a waterfall or a water feature.

Just some things to look into, it looks interesting though!

Edited by CVincent

@saeryensong:  I like what you did with the lava, the subtle touch that it has shadows is a good idea to illustsrate that it's bellow the floor. However, I don't think the singular fire on top of the lava at the bottom looks very good, you should change it to something else. It also messes with the depth, since the area around it is totally dark and at bottom but it's seemingly hovering above on ground level?

My game's getting ready for Steam Greenlight. As such, I'd like to show off a bit something different, the new and improved launch trailer that was improved based on feedback.

Edited by Tuomo L

@Tuomo The trailer is nice I guess. But is it just me or the trailer is too much focus on the game features? I think it'd be a lot better if you could focus more on the story, and do mini story-telling in the trailer. By the look of the title screen, the game is clearly rich in story content, isn't it? I'd suggest adding more screentime about emotional cutscenes (about 15 sec) would do some magic here.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to invest for original song track for the trailer. :)
-----------------------------

Here is the newest screenshot from Wanda. We are trying to create organic, hand-drawn style for it. What do you think?
Wanda%20Screenshot%2030.png

@Somael: I love your games looks. However, could you possibly tint the screen a bit? It's very purplish in background yet this screenshot doesn't reflect that color scheme at all.

My game's on Steam Greenlight. I wasn't sure what to show for this ocassion so have a peculiar demon girl who dislikes humans. However, if you play through the game, you can actually become friends with her and find out the dark secret why the demons dislike and distrust humans.

Game_2015_11_04_19_41_53_56.png

Teacher gets a cushy chair!   Maybe you should move all the desks up one so the lower door isn't blocked?  What is the room with the big red carpet? 

Heres a school

What's the purpose of the giant carpet area? It is alone bigger than any class room I've ever been into. The size is very awkward since it's almost all wasted, empty space.

Final trailer for my game

I think you should add something content-y to the big carpeted area, since I honestly hate it when games have a blank, open area that doesn't serve an obvious purpose. The classroom looks like a better use of space although the placement of the doors feels a bit awkward.

http://imgur.com/VnX7HGU

Here we have a gradient test  I whipped up in photoshop.

@Keirebu I really like your map I think it looks awesome :)

So, I have finally, after a month finished it the Massive Map a lot of you have seen me talk about. I talk way more in depth about in the post, but, 3200 photoshop layers (separated by sections of the map), tested passibility, tested, pretty much everything. Hidden treasures, hidden path ways that are not so obvious at first. The water depths on this map are not the same as the water depths in the actual game, you'll notice this with a log and skeleton in the water as a possible "issue", its not.

WR2NHzo.jpg

This is the only large map I will every do for this game, at least of this scale. its 75 x 125. its detailed, its beautiful and its playable and you spend a CRAP ton of time here. Enjoy the eye candy :) 

Started on November 14th, and finished on December 15th.

WR2NHzo.jpg

This is the only large map I will every do for this game, at least of this scale. its 75 x 125. its detailed, its beautiful and its playable and you spend a CRAP ton of time here. Enjoy the eye candy :)

It's not THAT detailed and you missed multiple opportunities related to that, especially for the bottom part of the map. The top part is acceptable, but the bottom part of the map is almsot empty. So, basically one looks like spam compared to the other. You should try balancing that a bit.

It would look better if some things in there didn't look like they were put randomly, and if there was a more balanced amount of elements in both the top and bottom parts of the map.

its very hard to make "plains" detailed hahahha, If you go walking through the plains today its mostly grass, a few trees scattered about, maybe some shrubs and flowers but mostly grass :) Nothing was randomly placed any where, everything was placed with a specific reason and thought process behind it to make the world more detailed and feel like you are actually there.

Thanks foe the feedback :)

snip

Not sure I'd agree with that assessment. The way I see it, it's just two different kinds of natural area - a forest, and the meadows to the south.

A few more points of direct feedback though:

• I find it difficult to understand the time period. The buildings are all made of brick and wood, but at the same time, you have tires and swingsets. Is it just really rural?
  • There's a pretty distinct lack of roads in-between the builodings - even Mongolia has better roads than this, hell, most feudal townships did,
  • Your sort-of polluted dead zones don't seem to have much reasoning behind them. I don't know the lore of your game, but is there a reason why they're there in particular?
  • While fairly RTP, for the most part, it's pretty good to look at. If you could just make the swamp not purple, that'd be a quick and impactful change. Maybe brown to compliment the surrounding area?

I will only be using rtp for my maps. Because its part of my challenge I set for my self. As for roads, it was more of an after thought, I didnt want you to just follow the road from town A to B. this forces you to explore. Yes its a "glaring issue" to some but its also a "Whats over here" idea.

I don't know the lore of your game, but is there a reason why they're there in particular?

yup. Nothing on this map wasn't placed with out a specific reason.

I find it difficult to understand the time period. The buildings are all made of brick and wood, but at the same time, you have tires and swingsets. Is it just really rural?

Nope. see above quote.

Thanks for the feedback guys, its really helped me grow as a parallax mapper. My favorite parts are the plains and the interesting use of trees. Look forward to more :)

DarknessFalls: I like the overall idea of the map but I don't understand why there are skeletons near a graveyard, why haven't they been burried too? I also don't think the oil drums and the other modern related things such as swings really fit to the overall feel of the map.

Here's my first ever attempt at making a world map. It has horizontal pan effect. Feedback is more than welcome!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hp9nw3xfv096ljs/World%201.png?dl=0

Here's my first ever attempt at making a world map. It has horizontal pan effect. Feedback is more than welcome!

It's really good but it's a bit plain in places.

Try to spice things up by putting in some random objects or something.

For the sea there's a rock tile that works nicely to break up the plainness.

It's really good but it's a bit plain in places.

Try to spice things up by putting in some random objects or something.

For the sea there's a rock tile that works nicely to break up the plainness.

Yeah I'll do that, it was just the first draft anyway. I actually was gonna add more things but I ran out of different looking towns and such, hah.