Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

Ah thank you guys~

Nope! Actually I tried to, computer refuses to run it. But this Hla Oad place is like, super pretty -inspired-

Nah, didn't even think about making the shallow water passable actually ^^; The sign at the bottom? Yeh it doesn't really make sense for it to be on one side of the fork when the other sign is in the middle of the road. Hm, there's two planks on the signs anyway, enough to designate four locations, so the second sign could really be taken out entirely o;

@ Nyapurgisnacht - I like the concept of the map, it's very swampy and what I'd expect when I visit a town in Alabama. I also think some things are oddly placed, such as the torch in the upper right? Why is it on it's own tiny splash of land? Feels like it would be cold and wet whenever you need to relight it. I figure the people who live in such an environment would consider such things and want to make it as accessible as possible. Swamp water can easily lead to death after all.

Also I feel like the townsfolk would build a few bridges connecting splashes of land to get around easier, aside from just the house to the land. Just a few thoughts. It is a great start though.

Nya... - Sorry, not going to type out the entire name and this computer has an issue with copy/paste and quotes - That said, very nice map. The window thing is a bit odd, but I love the simplicity of it, and the crisp resolution. I'm sure I could find some minor nitpicks, but as it's probably better than anything I can do, I'll just say that it's impressive.... and maybe considering adding a window to the larger house, at the very least. :)

No worries, just Nya is always fine, or anything else really <3

But um, thank you so much guys, I'm bad at responding but I always take all this to heart, honest ^^; Since everyone was so nice and gave me some great insight I should probably redo this anyway, ahaha~

Edited by Nyapurgisnacht

So now that I'm home on a computer where I can copy / paste on this site, and not at work -

Tuomo L - That's a decent cabin and I like the layout, as well as the light effects. Only thought is it seems way too tidy for witches, even good ones. Otherwise, great job, as always.

Biverix - A nice Earthbound vibe comes from your map. Super job. But what is the box doing in the street? Also, it's odd than none of the grass ever hits the water, especially with all the reeds in the water. A couple of your cliff walls also seems to have a straight cut at the bottom rather than the curved bottom edges. I'm guessing it's the result of shift click mapping? If so, not sure if there is a way to fix that, but wanted to point it out.

Weremole - That is definitely one detailed map. I don't really have anything to find fault for it. Everything seems scaled to size, even the boats. Best of luck to you with this, as it looks to be very ambitious, but it could also be well worth the wait.

Myst88 - A rather simple yet glorious mountain path map. And when I say simple, I'm referring to the greater things in life, the beauty of open nature, rays of sunlight, a calm atmosphere. Mountain paths take a lot of care in effort to get elevations just right without appearing boring, so great job there.

@Soulpour777

I quite like what you did there. The assets are pretty and fit in well with each other, and I think you used just the right amount of clutter to make the map appear alive, without it feeling overfilled. The mixed colours of the grass do a good job helping with that. Your map reminds me a little of Edward Morrissons home in Tales of Phantasia, for some reason.

@Tuomo L

The forest scene looks athmospheric and pretty. It has a simple, somewhat comic-esque style. I like it.

The witchs house inside could use some windows, and it looks a little too square to me. Dividing it up into rooms might help.

The outside image doesn't load for me ):

@Biverix

The art style is interesting, and a change to what you usually see. Your map seems well made and has an old school feel. Reminds me of the GBC.

@Weremole

Very unique art-style. The map looks alive and well-made. I'd love to see more of that.

@Myst88

Very pretty map, I love the lighting and the assets (I use some of those myself in my game :P)

I've posted about my game before, and I'm still working on it (an inch at a time, in a way).

Yesterday I took some minutes of my time, took a few mapshots and combined them into one big image, showing starting area. Well, what's above-ground at least.

Here it is!

oPbPUCD.png?1

Regarding individual maps, I've been adding some life to my town with NPCs. The Tavern especially now has some drunkards you can talk too, and rob! For anyone interested: The woman on the left talks about a hero she met, and how she admires him. The drunken guy on the floor can be examined, prompting a "he smells like monday morning". He can also be robbed to level your thieving (very slowly, since you can't fail), giving you a handful of coins and a beer, occasionally. The kid and dad don't do anything, the man near the stairs dances and in the lower right you can gamble to make (or lose) some money!

qujPvXu.jpg

Something I also did was to start adding the area below the church. Unlike the harmless crypt, whichs entrance is in the graveyard, this area has spooky monsters! Ooohh~

What mysteries could be causing this?

u1sS0IK.jpg

@RubinBlau: Very nice maps! Is the white sparks a save point though? I suggest finding another one, that may be a bit too hard to notice by player and it may blend in too much. I have played games where savepoint or important items like that get lost and it is very annoying.

Tutorial town, now with fixed waters and ingame look. Sprites and buildings are placeholders still.

iroeeXb.png

@Rubinblau, The maps are very nice. On the biger map, make sure that you have frequent save points, as this can be maddening if you don't allow saving anywhere and they are way too few points.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I managed to do a sleeping sprite and do a bit of visual trickery:

CHsCAjA.gif

@AceOfAces_Mod

That's a cool little house. Maybe add a little variety like, a carpet or something, though? :)

I'm playing around with some resources by Hyptosis and a couple of edited graphics by myself. This is, I guess a half of a small colonial town on a distant grassy planet?

edit: since I'm throwing this together in Tiled and its background is, by default, grey - I didn't even see some of the titles on the fence/wall are erroneously put on the bottom layer. I'll get around to fixing that eventually.

Moygnxc.png

Edited by Biverix

@Biverix

Looks nice but if anybody still lives there then fixing the dirt roads seems easy (it's great but i needed to have a nit pick)

i thought why not make a awful little fan game to start making games and so here's and 10 min title screen

LiuEmWc.png

@Jaxinator, I like it a LOT, that's really well done for only 10 mins. One thing, though, that I must point out: the apostrophe should not be there. It should read "Pokemon Hunters" without the '. The only time you would want to use the apostrophe is if you're talking about something that belongs to them.

Example:

"The Pokemon Hunter's Pokedex is an extremely useful tool. All Pokemon Hunters should have one."

I'm excited to see what you come up with. It's been a while since I played a pokemon fan game worth playing.

@Biverix the dirt road look little to square and road like other then that the map looks great

Heres my progress. Any thing look odd before i move it over to gimp?

post-50166-0-00018900-1460270968_thumb.png

This thread seems really dying out so.. I'll post something to keep it alive :D

I'm debating with myself whether should I include this to my game or not.. :/

shot3_by_kervinlee-da1l2on.png

Here's another one that I need some opinion of :D

shot2_by_kervinlee-da1l2p4.png

@Hayato- Is that a war, siege, pleague... assassinations? Anyway, really well made. I like the detail placed into the damage and deaths around the area, given the chaotic message. But then the forest/wood one just looks so beautiful. How'd you do that angle?

Anyway, I guess it's my turn for critique seeking:

qvwAYl1.png

It's the Northwestern section of a continent, and I was wondering on how to make it more visually appealing, but otherwise, wanting to know thoughts on it.

The lines where you draw your ecological regions are quite sharp. This is a side effect of having a small map, but it makes everything very boxy.

It also reads a bit strange with it's biomes. You have the rapid onset of a south-east polar region (typically would just be a south or norther polar region) but it borders a desert to the right? Very strange precipitation patters coming from that ocean, I have to say.

also weow 800 posts

Edited by Chaosian

@Hayato- Is that a war, siege, pleague... assassinations? Anyway, really well made. I like the detail placed into the damage and deaths around the area, given the chaotic message. But then the forest/wood one just looks so beautiful. How'd you do that angle?

Anyway, I guess it's my turn for critique seeking:

qvwAYl1.png

It's the Northwestern section of a continent, and I was wondering on how to make it more visually appealing, but otherwise, wanting to know thoughts on it.

There seems to be a lot going on for just a section of a continent. It's like kids in the movies who like every sport and every team and their room is littered with nothing but posters and sports gear, but you know they're just overdoing it to make a point about that kid being into sports. I don't know how many continents are going to be in your game, but it looks like you've crammed way too many environments into this one particular section. I guess I'm just a fan of spreading that sort of thing out like older games though lol

The lines where you draw your ecological regions are quite sharp. This is a side effect of having a small map, but it makes everything very boxy.

It also reads a bit strange with it's biomes. You have the rapid onset of a south-east polar region (typically would just be a south or norther polar region) but it borders a desert to the right? Very strange precipitation patters coming from that ocean, I have to say.

also weow 800 posts

Grats on 800 posts! Anyway, the snow has a reason for being there, which is something I'd rather not spoil. But as for biomes, I was trying to go for a more "dead and burning" look with the swampy area and the volcanic area right beside it. The volcano in the middle also has an influence on the climate, though I get what you and Guyver both mean. I should probably extend the map's size out, then spice it up a bit more. Thanks for the feedback so far.

I agree that some of the areas look a tad boxy, especially since you are dealing with natural areas. I like the idea of the "dead and burning" area, but perhaps placement could be experimented with to make that darker feel more obvious to the audience. As for myself: A world map used as a sort of reference for overall placement of locations, the larger trees represent the entrances to forests (with each tree marking an alternative exit).

I agree that some of the areas look a tad boxy, especially since you are dealing with natural areas. I like the idea of the "dead and burning" area, but perhaps placement could be experimented with to make that darker feel more obvious to the audience. As for myself: A world map used as a sort of reference for overall placement of locations, the larger trees represent the entrances to forests (with each tree marking an alternative exit).

A very strong map, I think. Makes a lot of geographical sense, and looks great, despite being a little square (can't do tooooo much about that :P)

Only real complaint is that you volcanos are at the sides of your Islands. That's not how volcanoes and land-masses work - the land develops out from and around the volcano as it erupts.

Edited by Chaosian

Seems like this thread isn't very active, huh? Well, I don't have much to contribute, considering all the previous posters have given their feedback to the other maps already. Not sure if I will complete this game or not, but I've been playing around with Ace for the last two weeks. ^_^

j82x5d.png

The image on the TV will change over the course of the game. The pictures could be Donald Trump, Bruce Lee, or screenshots from games, like Tales and Mega Man. Unfortunately, I have to change individual tile event manually, and only after the player gets past a certain point in the story. I can't make it change randomly just by having the players enter or leaving the room. It's alright for a short game, I guess. :D

2czeufb.png

Yes. Those seats will be filled by all the characters. :P

2rqiukh.png

I wanted to make this game for my friend's birthday. Hope she won't think I'm an otaku... :giggle:

Edited by Mr. Detective

The image on the TV will change over the course of the game. The pictures could be Donald Trump, Bruce Lee, or screenshots from games, like Tales and Mega Man. Unfortunately, I have to change individual tile event manually, and only after the player gets past a certain point in the story. I can't make it change randomly just by having the players enter or leaving the room. It's alright for a short game, I guess. :D

It's completely possible to have the image change randomly. You can use variables for that.

Seems like this thread isn't very active, huh? Well, I don't have much to contribute, considering all the previous posters have given their feedback to the other maps already. Not sure if I will complete this game or not, but I've been playing around with Ace for the last two weeks. ^_^

j82x5d.png

2czeufb.png

Yes. Those seats will be filled by all the characters. :P

2rqiukh.png

I wanted to make this game for my friend's birthday. Hope she won't think I'm an otaku... :giggle:

IT Seems some of the tiles are mixed with others and don't math the overall style, which is bad in most cases. The arrows also is not needed. I dunno but thats just my opinion. 

Anyways here is a map for a game i am working on.

8vYR9Zf.png

Edited by Chibae

Ah so pretty!! *u* I think the trees could be a little  more top-down style than side-style, though I know changing them will be a real pain. I also think you could make more grass break through the shadows cast by the trees. 

Question: does the sky in the background scroll more slowly than the rest of the screen? c: It's just a little preference but that would be really neat.~