Jonnie91

Screenshot Critique Thread: Read Rules Before Posting!

The trees shadows seem odd. There directly underneath the tree, but the light doesn't seem like it's directly above the tree, but more on the horizon (maybe just me though).

I think the style looks great, but maybe needs more contrast? The whole map looks really bright with not enough darker contrast to it, so maybe add some darker tufts of grass among the light tufts?

I like the background/foreground of the trees though. Subtle and really nice. 

I think my only main quibble is the maps a bit bare just now, but since it's a WIP, I'll not say much ont hat matter yet.~

Wow Somael. I'm honestly quite jealous. I wish I had the ability to create things like this. I would have to agree with Takeo, however, that the shadows and light source don't seem to line up (an issue I constantly find myself with many times...)

Anywho, I've decided to blow the dust off of my project and keep plugging away. Any thoughts on below? In-game, there are a couple sheep and a dog walking around, plus a yellow-tinted sunbeam overlay

5.png

@Lucidk I wish I could help you more, but I think you should add dirt patches, grass, some more trees, but that's all I can think of.  Your map is a little empty in the dark grass areas.  Not that I can see a way up there.... So take my advice as you see fit.

I am in the middle of crafting a new story with a more mature role playing game (no sex and with minimal cursing) and changing the tint of the RTP just slightly to give it a wow, plus crafting my own graphics at the same time.  I am hoping to match the RTP with Celianna's trees and hopefully take my graphics to the next level. 

21aac7845925feeb0a888748435238ff-dacvisn

I like the shade of green it looks good, but I find the trees too repetitive at the bottom, maybe put some large pine trees(like in the center left) to have some variety.

Also the squareness of the upper edge portions of the cliff tiles, don't really do the parallax background justice, perhaps rounding it off could soften the blockiness.

The tree on the right side of the map near the edge shouldn't produce shadow at the edge and the autoshadow is present in the right side of the map, but not in the left.

@Kaneshon Thanks for the advice, some of it, I can't do much about.  You see, that map is all in editor mapping, so the path has to stay the way it is.  I've worked with it a bit, to decrease the squareness of it.  I've, also, added round edges to my maps, so that has helped a lot or at least, gives me options.  I've worked with my trees to give me a bit of variety. 

@Cait a small
Its really good! But I feel the tree's at the bottom don't quite mesh well with the rest of the map. Kaneshon basically said everything I was gonna type.

---
dC6SfCx.png

Is my first attempt at Parallax mapping (in a few years, at least), it's not much but I like it. Its a small section of an orphanage that the four main characters live in.

@Cait Looks great, why no custom mapping?

@Darkanine I love it -- nice job. Consider adding light shadows on the upper layer. Also, I don't think outside wall visible from inside is necessary, I would try it without and you might even get a little more wiggle room for more stuff.

Here's the final mockup of my first map on an abandoned island in my game.  Added the palm trees thanks to @Cait.  In this scene, the player survives a shipwreck and summons a wolf for some help in fighting off the aggressive wildlife on the island.  I took a bit of time to learn how to get the feet under the sand, nice little detail I think.

I0sApSb.png

Edited by Dymdez

Okay, I am going to be honest and the honest thing is that if I did parallax mapping, I would never get anything done.  I struggle with keeping focus, often get excited about a new project, but this time, I plan on working on it slowly.  (o_o)  I love how some parallax maps look, but it's just not for me.

Okay, I am going to be honest and the honest thing is that if I did parallax mapping, I would never get anything done.  I struggle with keeping focus, often get excited about a new project, but this time, I plan on working on it slowly.  (o_o)  I love how some parallax maps look, but it's just not for me.

I could teach you in no time. Let me know if you ever change your mind!

So i just came back to rpg maker recently and decided to redo one of my Towns for the 5th time so here it is (I did it in a day so might have alot of stuff undone.)

Capture_zps1yptlqi7.png

as you can see by how many gump towns there are i really dont like maps that i dont like if that makes sence lmao.

First of all, thanks. I felt awkward when I was going to bump this thread yesterday and now I don't need too :P

Second, your map looks pretty good so far. Those green tiles just pop out and look nice. I think adding more NPCs or town objects like wells would be a nice touch though

Here's my recently finished map. I tried to emphasize the feeling of "these kids are poor, but they're trying to make the best of it"

c455c0bc6dd55884566a791595f91dc4.png

First of all, thanks. I felt awkward when I was going to bump this thread yesterday and now I don't need too :P

Second, your map looks pretty good so far. Those green tiles just pop out and look nice. I think adding more NPCs or town objects like wells would be a nice touch though

Here's my recently finished map. I tried to emphasize the feeling of "these kids are poor, but they're trying to make the best of it"

c455c0bc6dd55884566a791595f91dc4.png

yea its gonna be the next town after the one im done with right now so it dosent have npcs at the moment it just has the regular ones it'll have way more i really liked your mapping except i dont get why theres a tree inside a house.

Looks pretty good. It's a large building for a poor household though. Especially for having what looks like 4 different basement entrances- holy jez.

There's a few other oddities such as the two windows of varying times of day, and the stain glass window all being in the front hall. Just thinking of the geometry of it. Where do those windows look out to exactly?

Rainbow crates, and the alien tree are also- interesting, design choices.

Yeah, the windows in the front hall are really bewildering. Maybe put up portraits, posters, or something like that instead of you would like something to be on the walls so they aren't empty. One of the windows would be half looking into the one room and half looking into the wall of the room above it. You might have a reason for this design decision, though, so that would be interesting to read what it is. Chaosian brought up my other issues.

However, it's a nice start. :)

@Chaosian, @Phil-S

I should've explained stuff better, my bad. Its not really a house but more like a really poor boarding school that the main characters were raised in. Theirs a tree in doors because one of the students (the main character) planted with her magic, its blue because she wanted it to be unique. :P
Those windows are basically windows into pocket dimensions made by powerful sages. I hope I explained all the oddities in this imgur post.

http://imgur.com/a/u6IvM

I really appreciate the feedback though, thanks guys!

That makes a lot more sense. I should have guessed there was a reason for all that, but you never know! Sounds and looks really interesting! :)

Bear in mind, I'm not much of a Horror gamer, so you may take my advice with a grain of salt. Personally though, I think it's kind of hard to see, I found myself straining my eyes trying to make out details in the dark room (Which their are a lot of, good job!). This may very well be your intent, again I don't play many horror games. Just my two cents.

I am making some graphics for my upcoming project, and I really can't decide about this color scheme. I'm going for brownish plains, kind of like Whiterun from skyrim. This is my result (not a finished level in the game, just a color-test):

post-39006-0-82270300-1477519305_thumb.png

Bear in mind, I'm not much of a Horror gamer, so you may take my advice with a grain of salt. Personally though, I think it's kind of hard to see, I found myself straining my eyes trying to make out details in the dark room (Which their are a lot of, good job!). This may very well be your intent, again I don't play many horror games. Just my two cents.

I am making some graphics for my upcoming project, and I really can't decide about this color scheme. I'm going for brownish plains, kind of like Whiterun from skyrim. This is my result (not a finished level in the game, just a color-test):

attachicon.gifScreenshot1.png

I get what you're going for but I think the dark brown looks way too dark, it's like someone smeared bunch of chocolate all over the place. I take it's supposed to be dead grass and dirt? I suggest you add a bit of more orange tint to it to have it look more visually appealing. Also dead grass is more yellowish than brown and mud is more gray than brown. The rest of it looks really good but I really think you should do something to that dark brown color to make it more appealing.

Just some final tweaks and additions and the game's getting to Kickstarter ready.

dB19vBU.png

Even though most of Another Dimension is a wasteland, there's some areas that have fertile ground and places where people tend to live at.

After meddling with so many prototypes, I finally made a decision!
This is the upcoming project from Kodots Games. It's called One Loves the Sunset, a game featuring High-def 2D sprites!

Please, do have a look! Going to make a separate thread about this soon!

Cheers!

JsayQpp.png

(o_o;) WOW!  This thread isn't very active anymore, but I suppose that's to be expected.  Anyway, SomaelCK, I love the look of your graphics and maps for your game.  I could never create a game like that, but that's namely, because I don't have that much patience. 

Anyway, I've decided to share my map for my game and I hated how square the dungeons are, loved the way that RPG Maker XP did it.  My sister owns the copy of RPG Maker XP, so I have to create walls using VX Ace graphics in the style of XP.  I love the way it looks, but I thought I'd get feed back, and I am going to create a bridge for the caverns, not today, though. 

69ffc334e56d820d1cabc130eda5f86f-dap97p9

@Cait, It's pretty neat. Although the tileset passability may be a pain to set up.

I mostly need feedback for the npc's clothes. It was a bit of a pain to edit the sprite in Game Character Hub, but hopefully I nailed the design (see the face for reference).

Vf9Kzyo.png

Edited by AceOfAces_Mod

@AceofAces_Mod Actually, the way that I have it set up, it's not all that hard to set up, part of it is on A5, and some other parts are on Tile E, so I can chose what parts you walk under and what you can't.  (^_^) As for your NPC clothes, I think they look nice, but I have no experience in designing, making clothes whatsoever. 

@Cait: Yup, looks a lot bettter than your run of the mill VX dungeon.

@Topic: Here are a newer ingame Screenshot of the Town Building System (added backdrops) as well as an eagles eye view of the same Map:

Town1_Backdrops_Ingame.png

Town1_Backdrops_Overview.png

SomaelCK, that's amazing. It reminded me of the Pidgeon Man episode of Hey Arnold, in a good way! ^^

AceofAces, your portrait looks a little off. She's very long-necked.

Anyway, since losing my entire V1 demo (and half of my V2, so... everything) back in August, I've tweaked my a game a bit. I'm sticking to RTP+free resources.Here is one of the demonic towns in my game. You can't tell from the pic but the town has "snow" and appears darker in-game. Didn't get to NPCs yet.

RoBhekz.png