Sign in to follow this  
Wren

Looping, Label, and parallel processes

Howdy fellow game designers!

A few things have always just barely escaped my grasp on the RPG Maker series, looping and parallel proccess stuff, now add in jump to label and label and I am sure that there are some awesome things you could event with these tools but only if you know what you are doing.

Am I right to think that for a loop event to work it is probably going to be a parallel or an autorun where it is doing something while waiting for a condition to be met or an action to occur?

What are some good examples or uses for such an event?

Can you use jump to label and label to move between event pages or only within the same event page?

As I said, any help for me to grasp these concepts better would be appreciated. Most of the tutorial vids or documents sort of glaze over or quickly mention loops and label and then never seem to give an appropriate example or application of it's use.

Edited by Wren

A Label is usually just something to make choice events clearer, at least, in my personal experience. For example, when you're creating a Save Station for example, and you initially choose not to save, but then decide you do want to save, making a Label will allow you to jump back to that previous point so that you save again, instead of having to bear the weight of not being able to save. And I think Labels/Jump to Label only works on the same Event Page.

Loop is pretty self-explanatory, and it will only run when the conditions are fulfilled. I've never worked with loops myself, so I couldn't tell you anything more beyond that.

Parallel Process events are fun. :) This is where the bulk of your "graphic detail" comes in, as Parallel Processes mainly are geared towards your tinting screens, weather effects, background noises that you want to use besides the BGS, and anything else that might escape me at the moment. There are lots of applications that you can use for Parallel Processing.

A bunch of trial and error, experimentation was how I found out answers to those questions.

Fairly certain that label and jumping to label works only for the event page they are on.

I have used loop for things such as evented background weather effect. Thunder sound, flash screen, other sound effects etc. that repeat in a parallel process... but if you have a Show Message window open, it doesn't repeat until it's closed. Putting these effects within a loop makes it keep repeating even if a message window is open.

Haven't used a loop for anything other than that type of thing, though

Would it be possible to set up a common event, automatically called by an autorun event on all maps, where the common event runs using loops to effect game play, such as, say, generate battle events that have specific graphics if there currently isn't any on that map and then to keep track until a certain amount of these events are defeated? 

Or perhaps keep track of a total amount of battle victories, or steps, or any other sorts of things that you would usually think of doing with a script?

I am wondering why there isn't more discussion on common events, looping events, and parallel process events that can drastically alter games without resorting to scripts.

The game keeps track of victories, steps etc. that you can get using Control Variables when you need it. But a parallel process can keep track of things during the game, although they are best used sparingly to try to avoid causing unnecessary lag. Doing too many things at the same time can do that.

Label is great for not having to code something multiple times in a single event page.

Instead you can put a label and every time you need to call that code you can jump to it. Of course common events work here, but when you can't do it with common events a label works.

I've put a conditional branch that will always be false and put code inside it. When I wanted to run that code I'd jump to the label that I put inside it. This is in part because I use local variables (@) to save space in game variables.

You can actually use a label in place of a loop, as labels can easily create a loop.

However, loop is probably more efficient.  I've used it plenty. A great example would be a fishing event. You fish, it gives you a fish, then asks if you want to do it again. If you say No, the loop is broken. This way you can fish indefinitely instead of having to hit enter every time you want to fish.

Loops can also generate multiple things. Lets say you wanted to create frogs on the screen equal to a number.  Loop, Create Frog, Decrease variable By 1, Repeat til Variable = 0.

You can also use it to create a custom menu, or check for key presses.  Loop, wait 1, If X is pressed, Break loop and do this.

Parallel process is pretty much autorun without the pause. Tons of uses.

Edited by Titanhex