FF4 Custom Menu System v1.4 and Shop Window v1.2

ZombieBear

Edit 3/17/2013: Yanfly Equip Compatability Patch Now Complete. Yay!

Introduction

This script will replicate the menu style of FF4 complete colection.

The Shop WIndow Script will add sprites into the window and is not compatible with 
          Yanfly's Shop Menu (only in 640 x 480resolution)

Features
          - New equip, status, and shop screens. Status displays elemental and state resist. (Just_the_status  

does not have current update yet... I'll get it up soon.)

- Shop can display a maximum of 6 sprites.

- Shop compatible with Yanfly shop menu

- CMS resized to work with resolution 640x480 or 544x416 (maybe more... those are the only ones I   

tested)

Screenshots

Coming soon! I'll take some newer ones once I have everything configured just so.

How to Use
          Plug and play.

Script

FF4 Shop Menu's - one supports the Yanfly shop system, but only in 640 x 480 res.

- the other can be used in either 640x480 or 544x416 res; does not support Yanfly's  

shop system

FF4 Menu System - now works in 640x480 res or 544x416 res. You now NEED Yanfly's elemental absorb script

for this to work.

Just The Status Window - this only overwrites the status window and does nothing else. I'll be adding

elemental status features later.

Damage changer for 'Spirit' stat - This will allow you to easily use the spirit and intelligence stats by

altering exactly one, yes one, line of code. Read the comment to understand

how it works. 

Yanfly Ace_Equip_Engine for FF4 CMS - This will allow you to use Yanfly's equip script with this CMS. Set everything up

like you would normally in the Yanfly version.

Author's Notes

This is the first script I've done, ever. If there are issues let me know and I'll try to fix them.

This script is not customizable (with the exception of Yanfly's equip script that has been edited to work with this).

Scripts can be used together or separately and I will mod them like

crazy to be compatible with scripts that I deem to be 'cool enough' (which is a lot apparently).

Intended Updates

Cosmetic changes to the new equip window and status screens.

If there are any issues let me know; I like my scripts to be as glitch free as humanly possible. I am a bit of a

perfectionist in that regard.

Just_the_status_window.txt

Damage changer for SPIRIT stat.txt

FF4 shop menus (no Yanfly support).txt

FF4_Shop_With_Yanfly_Support.txt

CMS With new Status Screen v 1.3.txt

Yanfly Ace_Equip_Engine for FF4 CMS.txt

Edited by ZombieBear

some suggestion. for the shop scene. you could shortened the defence and magic defence to def and mdef. then you could add one more sprite slot (6 member).

Do a lot of people have 6 member parties? If it's pretty normal I can shorten the names. I was just going for a Dupe of the games shop screen and they support a party of 5. I really have to figure out how allow some customization...

for the game end option, is it compatible with yanfly's system option?

Edited by lookerup

for the game end option, is it compatible with yanfly's system option?

I'm used Yanfly's Extended Menu and Shop options, and while they still function with the FF4 Menu, there were mainly aesthetic problems. If I knew how to screen-cap, I would include images, but I'm oddly very un-techy in that way.

Regardless, with the shops, the lower character menu appeared in the item description for the Yanfly shop. No problems otherwise.

As for the menu, the issues I had were that while all the cool FF4 style equip menus were there, the men commands appeared in a menu behind my character menu. This also happened without the Yanfly script, so I think if that got fixed then the two are ultimately compatible.

To go off of estriole's comment about shortening Defense and Magic Defense to DEF and MDEF, I think that'd be great. I have a 4 person party and the long names looked fine there, but shorter wouldn't hurt. I think it'd also be a good idea to include ATK and MATK for weapons.

Overall though, I really like how the script looks and if some of those changes can get fixed, I will definitely use it. Great work! Once I figure out screen-caps, I will gladly post images of the problems I encountered (I realize it's probably simple and involves pressing a certain button, I can just never remember which one -_-')

Edited by ngcarr92

Will you consider splitting up the script into pieces in the future? I like the way you organized the status screen, but I can't use the other parts of the script. Either way, thanks for making this script.

... obviously 2 different menu systems most likely wont work with each other

I'm a complete noob, started few days ago. I'm just improvising on what i know so far lol

Overall though, I really like how the script looks and if some of those changes can get fixed, I will definitely use it. Great work! Once I figure out screen-caps, I will gladly post images of the problems I encountered (I realize it's probably simple and involves pressing a certain button, I can just never remember which one -_-')

If you don't know how to screencap, just upload on photobucket or something and send link.

FF4MenuProblems_zps3faff0dd.jpg

Great suggestion with Photobucket...shoulda thought of that earlier...

Anyway, here's what the FF4 menu looks like, both with and without the Yanfly extended menu (plus a little sneak peek at my own project-ho-ho!). Tried again with Yanfly menu still in (though I realize after the fact that two menu systems should of course clash--FF4 seems to override Yanfly's).

I also tried to go into the shop again using Yanfly's Ace Shop Options code and this, and it didn't work this time.

But like I've said before, I really love this menu. If it could be compatible with Yanfly's shop code, unless this was some weird fluke on my part (thought it worked the first time around) then I'd be awesome.

One thing I was thinking too was that, under the Status window, if a third column for element rates could be added, that might be cool. If not, I'm certain there are some scripting tutorials here to teach me to mod it.

Edited by ngcarr92

The only think i can think of from what i know is, take off all custom scripts and save it later and test each one with the original scripts(not tampered).

That looks like an issue with the screen resolution, since you're using one that's bigger than the normal 544 x 416 resolution. The FF4 menu script needs to take the Graphics.width into account to fix that, most likely.

I'll add compataility for Yanfly's shop and extended menu and separate the scripts for the shop and menu system. I didn't expect so many people to be using this; cuh-razy!

Edit: Funny, I was thinking about adding and element option in the status menu. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by ZombieBear

That looks like an issue with the screen resolution, since you're using one that's bigger than the normal 544 x 416 resolution. The FF4 menu script needs to take the Graphics.width into account to fix that, most likely.

Turns out the problem was Yanfly's Battleback Stretch script. Took it out and the menu is beautiful :3

I did encounter a problem with the shop though, and that was that it looks like this...

FF4MenuProblems_zps5d4c524c.jpg

Looks like the bottom two windows just need to get moved down a bit. I also took out Yanfly's shop code, so I'm wondering if that's the problem, as you might have set it to work alongside that? -shrugs-

I did see though that you added MATK! Thanks a ton :D

Edited by ngcarr92

ngcarr92 - the shop menu has been fixed now; I added compatability for Yanfly's first, then adapted mine to work in whatever resolution is being used. It should work like a charm now!

lookerup - I'm not sure what Yanfly's system option is. I looked over the scripts on his site and didn't see antyhing with that name. If you post a link I'll look into it. I plan on using several Yanlfy's scripts myself, especially since my scripting ability is pretty much limited to moving windows around.

Fated - I'll post just the status screen soon. I plan on adding updates eventually, once my eyes recover from staring at all this code o_O

Edit: Looks like the system option is compatabile! Most things that aren't menu screen related should be; I only rewrote the main menu screens. Thanks for the system link!

Edited by ZombieBear

No problem, take your time.

Yanfly's System Options script (what I guess he was referring to?): http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/menu-scripts/system-options/

that's the one. Pretty handy script.

Oh, we might have been on different pages about Yanfly scripts :-/ I was talking about this one for shops:

http://rpgmaker.net/scripts/146/

However, I've also realized that would be putting two shop options over each other, which is stupid. Here's my sign. 

Overall though ZombieBear, this is really coming together! I did run into another problem though is that when I actually equip a weapon or piece of armor, it doesn't display the change equipping the piece of equipment would show. The number itself doesn't change when a weapon is unequipped until you leave and return to the menu.

I also noticed that MATK is absent from this window, so that might be something good to add.

Seriously though, all the work you're putting into this is really great. Here's your gold star :D

goldstar_zpsc5a6da2f.jpg

ngcarr92 - I've changed the scripts so they fix the MATK in the shop menu and the equip errors. I've also created a compatibility script that will allow you to use Yanfly's shop menu now (but only in it's default mode without adjusting anything. I haven't tested anything other than that.) Try re-downloading everything and placing the new versions in your project. If they don't work I probably just uploaded the wrong notepad file. I'll add the MATK option into the equip screen and put the new link up soon; that seems like a pretty good option for all the magic casters in your party; I always hated not knowing what their boot was! Thanks for the gold star! :)

lookerup - I've tested the system script from Yanfly and it works great with the CMS. I adjusted the CMS so it won't place help windows at the bottom of the screen anymore for non-me scripts, so you shouldn't have to be going into scripts changing help windows around now.

Thanks for the feedback about the script everybody! I'll continue to fix errors as they pop up, so just let me know. And since I plan on using several Yanfly scripts myself, if you have one of his scripts and it isn't compatible let me know and I'll see if I can make them play nice together.

Hi ZombieBear,

I recently added Yanfly's Menu Cursor script, http://rpgmaker.net/scripts/164/  and it seems to conflict a little with the FF4 Menu. Though I don't think this should be a priority, this might be something worth playing with at some point, though it only achieves an aesthetic affect and doesn't affect gameplay.

FF4MenuProblemsA_zpse882af89.jpg

FF4MenuProblemsB_zps16048b5c.jpg

As you can see, the menu cursor pops up in the upper and lowest boxes, and just stays there. For some reason this doesn't appear in the Equip section, so that's nice.It doesn't move at all, it's just there.

I did notice though, that in the status menu there is no Magic Attack stat listed, and I wasn't sure if it was because you divided Intelligence and Spirit so they're independent. I understand that Strength and Stamina are the base values for ATK and DEF, which with the bonuses from equipment, appear as Attack and Defense. Intelligence and Spirit's listed value both change as MATK is altered by equipment, but there is no base value listed in contrast to equipment value.

If this were to be listed, maybe for space's sake a totalled Magic Attack could be placed under Spirit? Or maybe Accuracy is moved under Spirit and Magic Attack is listed under Evasion? It's up to you :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend!

The cursor position is updated when needed, and when it isn't needed, it defaults to a certain coordinate (probably 0, 0) of the window. Since you're using a wider resolution, try setting the initialize coordinate for the cursor to something like (-100, 0) so it stays off the screen unless it's called to actually move to a needed location.

Well, I guess this means it's officially time for me to learn some scripting :-P @William C, I assume this would be in the cursor script? If so, that would be great to save ZombieBear some extra work I keep putting them through :-/ 

On a sidenote though, this is the second time someone's mentioned something about the resolution, but I've never actually changed how the resolution pops up--it just does this automatically. I've looked around the program's windows but can't find anything. My best guess is that my computer's screen size is 1366x768, so maybe it adjusts to my funky screen size?