Nicke

XS - History Book

xs.png

XS - History Book

Version 1.0a

Introduction
This script adds a history book scene. Can be used if you need to show off a book filled with texts. Unlimited pages is supported as well.

Features

• Easy to use and call using a script call in an event.
  • Unlimited pages.
  • Control which title and texts to be displayed in each book.
  • Font and skin settings is editable.
  • And more!

Screenshots

xs-history-book.png

How to Use
Instructions how to use it can be find inside the script.
To install this script, open up your script editor and copy/paste this script to an open slot below Materials but above Main. Remember to save.

Script
Get the script here and the Core Script.

Updates
Released 1.0a. Added support for custom background and cleaned up the code a bit.

Credit
Do credit me, Nicke, if you are planing on using this script. Thanks.
Can be use in a commercial project.

Pretty nice! Would there be any possibility of you adding a connected scene menu that leads to many books, similar to Tidloc's Questlog? I've been blundering around with that script trying to make something similar to this where it would basically be a 'Codex' which fills up with entries as you travel through the game. (That script isn't designed for bookyness so the text display field fills up only half the screen and is incompatible with many formatting scripts)

So really all i want is some sort of container menu for the books, instead of having to call them through an event or whatever. A list of names and then you select them and they open different books, and you can add names to the list via script calls. And the ability to organise them by categories, if possible.

If this isn't feasable I'll just make it work by having all the backstory books as items, though it'd be a bit more awkward. In any case thanks so much for this! Hehe, the style even reminds me of FF8's Information menu :3

Thanks for the comments.

@Bunn89: Yeah, that would have been a good idea for a codex. Maybe I can write another script that will offer that instead since it is kind of different from this one. :)

I didn't think my suggestion was that radically different.. I want exactly the same thing as what you've got here but just inside a framework. But I'm not a scripter so i wasn't aware of the difficulty of pulling that off, so don't worry about it :D

I can certainly pull off basically the same thing with a 'Codex' item category containing many books, it'd just be harder to encourage the player to pay attention to the feature as opposed to if it was all together as a menu option. I mean in a game where fighting and questing and stuff is the main goal, any bonus features have to be easy to access, else its likely a casual player won't even check them out. *sigh*

Still, thanks for the script and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it! It'd be great for in-universe book scenes even if it's awkward to implement this background info thing. Like I can see it'd be fun for averting the old RPG cliche of all bookcases including only one book that's four lines long, like there could perhaps be some actual short stories you could check out. And if this script supports image-showing codes from other scripts (haven't checked yet) it'd be good for galleries or tutorial sections or millions of things :D There could be a secret behind the scenes book you unlock with 100% completion that shows beta designs of the characters and fun development trivia!

I keep getting a syntax error on the first line of one of my books saying:

unexpected tSYMBEG, expecting '}'

:suzuki_magazine => [%{Today's hot topics include...

It was working fine until now. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I think that's the correct format for the book, right?

EDIT: Oops, forget it. I was missing a comma somewhere and I really don't know how I missed it before XD

Edited by Konora

First of all thanks for this great script, I've a little problem in getting the background image work.

Which folder should I put my image and how to locate it in script? 

Derp Edit: It's using Pictures folders as a custom background. D:

Edited by Batur

Hello everybody. First post here.

Thanks a lot for this script. It is really great. I just would like to know (or ask, if it is yet not possible), if we can use different pictures as background for each book.

This is a very useful script for me, however I'm having a problem at the moment with it. When I examine an event that calls this script and the passages within it, the event will play twice. What I mean by this is:

I interact with the scene call.

The ancient book opens up.

When I close the book, the event states over automatically and will open it a second time.

It only does this twice before the event actually ends. I don't want to erase the event, and I also tied to end event processing, which didn't work. Any suggestions would be great.

Hello Nicke. This is a great script, and pretty much does exactly what I want. Is there any way I can have the game check for an item in inventory to know what to display. for example, how would I write...

If (Page1 in inventory)

*Display page 1 text

else

Hello Nicke, I love your script. It's pretty much exactly what I want. I just would like to know how to make one slight modification. How would I write something like...

If (Page 1 in inventory)

*Display page 1 text*

else

"This page is missing"

The reason is, in this mansion, you collect journal entries and slowly unravel the mystery of the family's deaths.

Is it possible to set different background images to each book.

Edit: And also I want know if it is possible that, after the last page the book will return to 1st page, and before the 1st page the book will show the last page.

i.e: by pressing "Right Key" we see the next page, and by "Left Key" we see early page.

1.When it is last page, and then I press "Right Key", the book will return to 1st page.

2.When it is 1st page, and I press "Left Key", the book will return to last page.

Edited by RupamOntherocks