YummyTiger

Creating Monster Categories in VX Ace

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to create monster categories. For example, humanoid monsters, rodent, spider, etc. I ask because I want to make skills that are specific to a type of monster as well as grant the player bonuses after achieving certain events to grant increased damage to monster types.

For example, if the player achieves "Rodent Hatred" then that player would do 10% increased damage to monsters of the rodent type.

Does that make sense? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YummyTiger

I'm not exactly very experienced at this so someone else might be of more assistance or have a better solution, but you could get something close to your desired effect by using Elements. Make an element with the name of one of your categories (Spiders, etc.) and make those types of monsters weak against that element. Make skills for your characters use that element in their attack, making them deal extra damage to all enemies you set with that element but normal damage to all others. As for effects such as "Rodent Hatred" that you mentioned you could use States for that. Create a state that gives the player that Element and give the player that state after they've achieved your 'certain event'. However, keep in mind that using the 'Recover All' event command will erase states. To remedy this you could use Yanfly's "Passive States" script.

Like I said, someone else may have a better way. This way would make your "Rodent Hatred"-like abilities only affect normal attacks...unless you created a conditional branch in each skill that checked to see if your actor was inflicted with the Rodent Hatred-ish state and inflicted a state on the enemy that set its defense against your element at a lower rate. I've never tried this but in theory it should work.

edit: Yanfly's Passive States script doesn't give you the option of handing out passives in-game unless they're attached to weapons, classes, etc. I found another script from Estriole called "Permanent States" that will grant this effect, but allow the flexibility of adding it whenever you want. I should thank you, as working out your problem has helped me find an answer to one of my own. If you need any more help or have questions just ask.

Edited by Sednick

Sednick,

Thanks for the response! I believe elements will work just fine. I am still new to this whole system and did not even think to use them. Actually, affecting only normal attacks would be ideal. Also, thanks for the heads up on the passive states script. I am wading through Yanfly's stuff now. Ugh, so much to learn.

Btw, for some reason the usage of "Rodent Hatred-ish state" made be laugh.

Thanks!